Cystic Acne Please Help !!

killchill

Hello guys i have been dealing with cystic acne for a while now, prominent in my upper back,neck and chest. is not just regular pimples they are cysts that develop under my skin some will pop right away some may take up to a week or more to pop or dry out sorry for the mental picture.

Now to my trt protocol and messures i have been taking to try to stop the cysts from coming.

TRT protocol ive been injecting 200mg test cyp,split x2 a week( puts me around 1190ish TT), i aromatize very little 0.10ml of liquidex will keep my e2 on the low side 17ish on the sesitive assay. never had high e2 issues while on trt so high e2 is not the issue im assuming.
I tried lowering my TT my reducing to 180mg a week its been over a month still no change.

I drink 3 liters of water a day.
Im not overweight around 13%bf
Ive tried high fat high protein low carb and high carb high protein low fat diets none makes any difference.
My hygiene is good, shower everyday, no dirty clothes or sweaty clothes on me
Ive tried salicylic acid and peroxide with no success.
I had never had zits acne or any sort of skin problem prior to TRT, not in my teens never. actually my skin always been perfect maybe 1 little pimple once in a blue moon.

Its gotten to a point of thinking in quittin TRT just for this reason i cant stand having all my back,chest,neck full of cysts and scars from prior cysts.

As you can see ive tried almost everything i read that helps but its not working, so im here in hopes someone can help me maybe im missing something i dont know.

Hello guys i have been dealing with cystic acne for a while now, prominent in my upper back,neck and chest. is not just regular pimples they are cysts that develop under my skin some will pop right away some may take up to a week or more to pop or dry out sorry for the mental picture.

Now to my trt protocol and messures i have been taking to try to stop the cysts from coming.

TRT protocol ive been injecting 200mg test cyp,split x2 a week( puts me around 1190ish TT), i aromatize very little 0.10ml of liquidex will keep my e2 on the low side 17ish on the sesitive assay. never had high e2 issues while on trt so high e2 is not the issue im assuming.
I tried lowering my TT my reducing to 180mg a week its been over a month still no change.

I drink 3 liters of water a day.
Im not overweight around 13%bf
Ive tried high fat high protein low carb and high carb high protein low fat diets none makes any difference.
My hygiene is good, shower everyday, no dirty clothes or sweaty clothes on me
Ive tried salicylic acid and peroxide with no success.
I had never had zits acne or any sort of skin problem prior to TRT, not in my teens never. actually my skin always been perfect maybe 1 little pimple once in a blue moon.

Its gotten to a point of thinking in quittin TRT just for this reason i cant stand having all my back,chest,neck full of cysts and scars from prior cysts.

As you can see ive tried almost everything i read that helps but its not working, so im here in hopes someone can help me maybe im missing something i dont know.

Go to your family doctor and discuss a prescription for Accutane. It's probably the best there is for serious acne. Jump on this ASAP and good luck

Some people have this problem with exogenous testosterone and hrt.
I've seen some posts over the years that indicate levels over 900 TT tend to cause acne problems for some, though this is completely anecdotal.

For myself, I developed cystic acne on my back and arms, no matter how much I inject per week for HRT. I've done 3 months at 110mg a week, 6 months at 150mg, and 2 years at 200mg...but, I still seem to develop acne no matter what I do. Even with keeping estrogen levels in check.

I've been running a keto diet for months now and, that hasn't changed anything with acne either.

I've also supplemented with various minerals and vitamins.

I've used all types of acne washes, creams, and topical applications OTC.

Nothing I've done has proven to stop the acne either.

Some people have this problem with exogenous testosterone and hrt.
I've seen some posts over the years that indicate levels over 900 TT tend to cause acne problems for some, though this is completely anecdotal.

For myself, I developed cystic acne on my back and arms, no matter how much I inject per week for HRT. I've done 3 months at 110mg a week, 6 months at 150mg, and 2 years at 200mg...but, I still seem to develop acne no matter what I do. Even with keeping estrogen levels in check.

I've been running a keto diet for months now and, that hasn't changed anything with acne either.

I've also supplemented with various minerals and vitamins.

I've used all types of acne washes, creams, and topical applications OTC.

Nothing I've done has proven to stop the acne either.
Accutane is a drug, sometimes with real side effects, but I know people that have used it and it worked, it really worked. It's kind of a drug of last choice, but it really works.

Accutane is the only sure fire away to get rid of acne BUT their is no guarantee that it won't reappear at a later date. You'll also need to have your bloodwork monitored since it can do weird things to liver/cholesterol values.

As a long term solution, you need to lower, not stop, your TRT dose. It's as simple as that.
E2 plays a MINOR pathological role when it comes to acne and certainly isn't the primary cause - testosterone is.

I'd let estradiol rise a hair and see if anything changes. Then, if that doesn't work, I'd try an antihistamine; I know it sounds strange, but sebaceous oil may be causing a reaction in your pores, and your body is overreacting.

If that doesn't work, you can try a topical antibiotic. I wish I could remember the commonly prescribed name, but most GP docs should be aware of it. Bacterial infections can cause cystic acne as well.

Lastly, you can drop your test down to the point where you no longer see breakouts as Zilla mentioned. If that's not feasible, Accutane should be a last resort IMHO - it's toxic stuff, and only (once again as mentioned) works while using it.

My .02c :)

I just went to the dermatologist and I have had a similar issue, I will only break out on my forearms and hands, weird, but this is what it is...

They just prescribed me Mupirocin 2%, it is a topical antibiotic. I am only on day 2 with this so I really have no insight as to how well it works yet. I will keep you posted on everything here.

DZ

Accutane is a very rough drug. Having taken it in the past - that would be my absolute last pick. From the sound of your post, this issue started after starting TRT. Try lowering your T dose down to what a normal male might experience on a good day... which isn't 1100. I almost immediately start to get back acne and oily skin when I keep T over 900. Trust me, a few hundred points lower T is a much better option than Accutane... which is basically devils spit in pill form.

Nothing comes without a cost. High levels of testosterone is no exception.

-Jim

Last edited:
hey guys thanks for your replies, yes ive read about accutane being a very harsh drug last resort kind of thing, yes my problem started after TRT, always had perfect sking prior to TRT.

Ill lower my injections to 160mg and see how it goes.

Also if i go to the dermatologist for a topical antibiotic do i have to tell her im on TRT or is not nessesary ? and if they give me one do i have to take it forever ?

So 1st ill lower my T if i dont see improvement, ill go to the dermatologist, also since i barely need an AI for 200mg a week(actually i dont even need at that dose) ill stop taking it since ill be injecting 160mg, ill problaly crash my e2 with 0.10ml liquidex if i continue using it.

This might be comparing oranges and apples but how do like for example pro bodybuilders that run tremendous amounts of gear have perfect skin, yet i have to lower my T to get back to my normal skin just curious as what do they do.

hey guys thanks for your replies, yes ive read about accutane being a very harsh drug last resort kind of thing, yes my problem started after TRT, always had perfect sking prior to TRT.

Also if i go to the dermatologist for a topical antibiotic do i have to tell her im on TRT or is not nessesary ? and if they give me one do i have to take it forever ?

So 1st ill lower my T if i dont see improvement, ill go to the dermatologist, also since i barely need an AI for 200mg a week(actually i dont even need at that dose) ill stop taking it since ill be injecting 160mg, ill problaly crash my e2 with 0.10ml liquidex if i continue using it.

This might be comparing oranges and apples but how do like for example pro bodybuilders that run tremendous amounts of gear have perfect skin, yet i have to lower my T to get back to my normal skin just curious as what do they do.

Good question! I have no idea because my skin goes ballistic. When I run 60mg twice a week, I get bad acne and oily skin. 50mg twice a week and it gets a little better but still there. 40mg twice a week and zero acne.

Likely the same reason you might have suffered from hypogonadism and others don't - we are all different. Very different.

Last edited:
avoid accutain at all costs. rn a couple cycles of harsh antibiotics before resorting to that nast crap...

whats your blood work look like? estrogen ? are you using an AI (i assume not, and maybe its not needed but you should post up your blood work and specifically your estrogen) i found keeing etrogen in check and using an organic soap ( i use "drbronners magic soaps") cleared me up. and i had bAD cyctic acne. like really bad, and im still saying avoid accutain. shit shouldent even be on the market IMO...

It's genetics. I don't get acne, gyno, or any other issues from AAS. However, being hypogonadal made me a diabetic, hypertensive, and hypothyroidic. Just luck of the draw. :p

I personally wouldn't mention being on TRT in case they're uneducated enough to suggest coming off it. It could also limit further treatment options if you don't respond to the antibiotics.

You wouldn't be able to use antibiotics forever even if you wanted to since they stop working - building up tolerance is an inevitability.
The harsher ones also come with their own set of nasty long term sides, which is why I find the idea of them being "safer" than accutane laughable :)

And yes, as HW said, it comes down to genetics...your either prone to acne or your not.

i notice more acne when i injected into my delts. thigh/quad injections seemed to help with the acne. i just felt greasy i couldn't shower enough, i used rubbing alcohol and clean n clear. i have a hot tub and i raised the chlorine level to 30ppm for a few days and that helped too. anecdotal. but the acne is clearing and scarring up and healing. i cant imagine bringing this up with my doc. lets get u off of t.

question - would using hcg help? then op could lower his dose of T a lil bit.

avoid accutain at all costs. rn a couple cycles of harsh antibiotics before resorting to that nast crap...

whats your blood work look like? estrogen ? are you using an AI (i assume not, and maybe its not needed but you should post up your blood work and specifically your estrogen) i found keeing etrogen in check and using an organic soap ( i use "drbronners magic soaps") cleared me up. and i had bAD cyctic acne. like really bad, and im still saying avoid accutain. shit shouldent even be on the market IMO...

Im guessing you didnt even bother to read my 1st post lol.

Ok so well genetics is i guess, weird thing is ive never had acne problems in my life prior to TRT, ill see how things go by lowering my dose if it doesnt fix it ill pay a visit to the dermatologist see what are my options.
Such a bummer i feel great on T but this acne shit is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for all the replies ill keep you guys posted.

Ok so well genetics is i guess, weird thing is ive never had acne problems in my life prior to TRT,

its actually not that weird . thats how genetics work. you don't know what all your genetically pre determined to until you enter in secondary factors that reveal the genetic.

example..
- you may not know you have great body building genetics UNTIL you pick up a weight and train (some of the best genetic freaks are out there in the world right now, but will never be mr. olympia simply because they don't lift , and don't know that 'genetic')
- a person may not know they are genetically pre disposed towards being alcohol dependent or an alcoholic UNTIL they begin drinking alcohol
- a person may not know they are genetically pre disposed towards a type of skin cancer UNTIL they actually get that cancer after years of sun exposure

there is a secondary factor that often times is needed to 'trigger' and reveal the genetic. you did not know you were genetically pre determined towards testosterone or dht induced acne UNTIL you began injecting high levels of exogenous testosterone .

I also had an extreme acne after taking all of them. I've been bearing with the acne and just trying to clean it away with soap. Because I don't want to take Accutane. So far, I lost a couple of red spots. I think.

It will all gradually fade away just like the way my previous bout of acne gradually faded away. Then I will remove the scars with All Purpose Hydroquinone Cream also. Then I'll be fine. But before I get there, I'll have to bear with this acne first.

As for you, go to your dermatologist and ask them what's the best treatment for your acne.

Back