DEA was given master pass code to HUSHMAIL

charmander

I notice alot of people still using hush mail but it is useless now i think some other encrypted mail sites gave master passwords to the dea to.

Die$eL~Man said:
why would you think that ?

a moderator will chime in on this one to back me up because alot of u pay no more attention to me than u do the rambling drunken homeless person u see in the sub way with the Jesus loves you sign.

charmander said:
a moderator will chime in on this one to back me up because alot of u pay no more attention to me than u do the rambling drunken homeless person u see in the sub way with the Jesus loves you sign.

LMAO !

You have no clue how hushmail works.

Yes, the idiots who used the web based version - your email is not safe, since your passphrase is on hushmail's servers. But if you use the java version, the encryption is done on YOUR END, so there is no way that the DEA can get into it.

charmander said:
a moderator will chime in on this one to back me up because with only 41 posts u pay no more attention to me than u do the rambling drunken homeless person u see in the sub way with the Jesus loves you sign.

fixed

Behemoth said:
You have no clue how hushmail works.

Yes, the idiots who used the web based version - your email is not safe, since your passphrase is on hushmail's servers. But if you use the java version, the encryption is done on YOUR END, so there is no way that the DEA can get into it.

Ok so i guess just because someone has a @hushmail.com adress it dose not necessary mean they are vulnerable.

If they use the no java interface, then in theory anyone can read their stuff. But only a total retard would be using that.

Behemoth said:
If they use the no java interface, then in theory anyone can read their stuff. But only a total retard would be using that.

What is the java interface and how dose one use it?
or better yet what is the web based hush ,,,,never heard of any of this can you explain?

charmander said:

ROFL!!

atomknight said:
What is the java interface and how dose one use it?
or better yet what is the web based hush ,,,,never heard of any of this can you explain?

The java interface is the normal interface... you have to download the applet, etc etc, the encryption in this case is all done on your end. Your passphrase is never stored on their servers. Everything on their servers is encrypted, in this case.

See:

The first time a Hushmail user logs on, his browser downloads a Java applet that takes care of the decryption and encryption of messages on his computer, after the user types in the right passphrase. So messages reach Hushmail's server already encrypted. The Java code also decrypts the message on the recipient's computer, so an unencrypted copy never crosses the internet or hits Hushmails servers.

In this scenario, if a law enforcement agency demands all the e-mails sent to or from an account, Hushmail can only turn over the scrambled messages since it has no way of reversing the encryption.

However, installing Java and loading and running the Java applet can be annoying. So in 2006, Hushmail began offering a service more akin to traditional web mail. Users connect to the service via a SSL (https://) connection and Hushmail runs the Encryption Engine on their side. Users then tell the server-side engine what the right passphrase is and all the messages in the account can then be read as they would in any other web-based email account.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/11/encrypted-e-mai.html#previouspost

Like I said - the javaless, web-based interface is for douchebags.

Last edited:
The thing I worry about is not if these idiots get caught, because it would be their own fault for using the less secure version. What I worry about is if we can tell whether the person we are sending or receiving emails from is using the secure version or not. If one of these guys gets in trouble and has some legal authority perusing the contents of their inbox, are they going to be able to read messages that people using the more secure accounts sent?

Back