Donating blood when on TRT!

Thanks everyone, since I am a universal blood donar (O+ blood type) and they were really wanting me to do the double red cell donation I will go ahead and do that next time, just means I only have to get stuck half as often.

A win, win in my book!

Don't they put two needles in you for the double draw? Not sure you are getting out of being stuck. I may be wrong on this though.

Don't they put two needles in you for the double draw? Not sure you are getting out of being stuck. I may be wrong on this though.

Some use an apheresis machine to do it, which is actually a smaller gauge needle with a pump. I've only done double reds once, and it was just one needle, but twice the volume.

There were several other people there donating and there were hooked up to machines so I will see whats up in three months.

Thanks everyone, since I am a universal blood donar (O+ blood type) and they were really wanting me to do the double red cell donation I will go ahead and do that next time, just means I only have to get stuck half as often.

A win, win in my book!

sounds like a plan.

In apheresis your blood is run through a machine and elements are filtered out and the remaining elements are returned.
I believe you can donate red blood cells, platelets and plasma through apheresis. Plasma is of little benefit in our situation (potentially even increases hct temporarily).
Double red cell donation should lower hct twice as much (nominally) as whole blood donation, but the donation interval is twice as long.
Platelet apheresis theoretically removes only platelets and as such has little impact on hct, because platelets make up only a small fraction of blood solids. However, the apheresis process appears to lower hct substantially through RBCs being destroyed by the pumping and residual blood remaining in the machine. The blood centers don't take this into account, however, and set the donation interval to 7 days!

So, to lower hct as quickly as possible through donation:
1) give whole blood
2) platelet apheresis one week later (repeat as necessary)

I started at 17.7, went to 17.0 after whole blood donation, 15.7 after platelet apheresis, now estimate 14.4, all within a few weeks. I've got a blood test coming up that I'm hoping will confirm this.

Credit to halfwit for discovering this.

I find this extremely interesting and beneficial if infact this is the case! Many of us on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) battle with high hct even though we do the regular 8 week whole blood donation so this could be a huge help. I googled this but found nothing on the subject so would love to hear anyone else's experiences with this. Obviously it has worked for you so would love to hear more info on this!

I find this extremely interesting and beneficial if infact this is the case! Many of us on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) battle with high hct even though we do the regular 8 week whole blood donation so this could be a huge help. I googled this but found nothing on the subject so would love to hear anyone else's experiences with this. Obviously it has worked for you so would love to hear more info on this!

If you're in the US, head to the Red Cross' website and get the number for apheresis. They're going to be tickled pink that you want to donate and you'll be able to see for yourself THAT day how much it can change your HCT values as they take a Hb% before you donate during the screening and then again your Hb% is measured during the actual process during the end. Just multiply Hb% by 3 to get your HCT. You will be surprised at how much it lowers from just one apheresis. At least I know I was. :)

My .02c :)

If you're in the US, head to the Red Cross' website and get the number for apheresis. They're going to be tickled pink that you want to donate and you'll be able to see for yourself THAT day how much it can change your HCT values as they take a Hb% before you donate during the screening and then again your Hb% is measured during the actual process during the end. Just multiply Hb% by 3 to get your HCT. You will be surprised at how much it lowers from just one apheresis. At least I know I was. :)

My .02c :)

Guys-
I just got back from my local Red Cross. They said I COULD NOT donate platelets or do anything for 56 days post whole blood donation. Also, my Hb was 19+ so they said I did not qualify to get hooked up to the machine cuz of high Hb! Any thoughts or help on how to get this lowered BESIDES self phleb or Dr ordered phleb?

Check to see if there are any other blood banks in your area, mine will allow platelets one week after whole blood. Get a six pack of zero calorie sports drink and try to get super well hydrated starting about 48hrs before showing up, maybe you can squeak under the limit. That's all I can think of...

Guys-
I just got back from my local Red Cross. They said I COULD NOT donate platelets or do anything for 56 days post whole blood donation. Also, my Hb was 19+ so they said I did not qualify to get hooked up to the machine cuz of high Hb! Any thoughts or help on how to get this lowered BESIDES self phleb or Dr ordered phleb?

Let me guess, you went in the morning? Hemoglobin and crit are a little higher in the mornings. I would go back in the afternoon. In the meantime start pounding that water and make sure your multivitamin does not contain iron. Good luck..

Guys-

Bro if your globin is 19 this means your crit is roughly 57. You need to get this down asap.

Let me guess, you went in the morning? Hemoglobin and crit are a little higher in the mornings. I would go back in the afternoon. In the meantime start pounding that water and make sure your multivitamin does not contain iron. Good luck..

Appreciate it. Yes I realize 19 translates to a very high hct. Ill see if I can find another bank and do apheresis. Otherwise, Ill contact my trt Dr and see what he recommends.

Appreciate it. Yes I realize 19 translates to a very high hct. Ill see if I can find another bank and do apheresis. Otherwise, Ill contact my trt Dr and see what he recommends.

Don't forget to call your local hospitals. If you can only find one bank and being your numbers are very high I would ask for a double red cell donation. This will drop you down 5-6% on your hematocrit. Like you my crit was at 56.5 and globin 19.1 last week. I made two donations this week. One on Monday and Friday. When I went for my second donation Friday they tested my levels before the draw and it came down to 17.5. Which translate to 52.5. I should be in the 48-49 range now. If you are unable to donate ask your doctor for polycythemia therapy. Good luck.

Don't forget to call your local hospitals. If you can only find one bank and being your numbers are very high I would ask for a double red cell donation. This will drop you down 5-6% on your hematocrit. Like you my crit was at 56.5 and globin 19.1 last week. I made two donations this week. One on Monday and Friday. When I went for my second donation Friday they tested my levels before the draw and it came down to 17.5. Which translate to 52.5. I should be in the 48-49 range now. If you are unable to donate ask your doctor for polycythemia therapy. Good luck.

Did u do 2 double rbc donations? How were u able to do that? Go to different banks? I guess the Red Cross doesn't share donor records with other banks?

No double for me. Just whole blood. I went to two different locations. One was a blood and tissue place and the other was a hospital. I luck out because after I made my first donation at the blood bank I received a call from a local hospital. The were informing me of a blood drive that Friday. good luck brother..

I had a bad first experience while donating blood...everything was going fine till the last minute of the test...
I went all shaky, sweating like hell....I was feeling apprehensive during the whole thing.
Now that I have to do this often...I'm not too keen.

I had a bad first experience while donating blood...everything was going fine till the last minute of the test...
I went all shaky, sweating like hell....I was feeling apprehensive during the whole thing.
Now that I have to do this often...I'm not too keen.

Sounds like a classic panic attack. Don't sweat it, you'll get used to it.

Sounds like a classic panic attack. Don't sweat it, you'll get used to it.

Funny thing was I was able to walk out in 5 minutes. I recovered in 1 minute. Got up off the chair and no feeling of lightheadedness. The fan she put on me helped a lot....

Funny thing was I was able to walk out in 5 minutes. I recovered in 1 minute. Got up off the chair and no feeling of lightheadedness. The fan she put on me helped a lot....

Has anyone gone to one of those places that buys plasma? You usually see them around college campuses? Would they be more liberal in who they accept? That should lower RBCs too, right?

Has anyone gone to one of those places that buys plasma? You usually see them around college campuses? Would they be more liberal in who they accept? That should lower RBCs too, right?

No, they separate your plasma and return your RBC. That is why you are able to donate plasma a few times a week. Your body replenishes your plasma in a few days. RBC take about 4-8 weeks.

Back