Dr. says COLD TURKEY STOP??? Bad idea?

gustowers

Hello,

Been on HRT for 7 years. Started when I was 43. I would like to get off HRT if possible. I probably did not need to be on it when I started, but you know how that is......

I was hoping to do an HPTA restart so I talked to my Dr, and was refereed to an endocrinologist.

The endo suggests cutting the dose to half for a month, then cold turkey.
Then test testosterone levels to see if the testes can start producing again on their own.

What would this even be like? I would have very low levels for quite a while ( like rock bottom as I am shut down now fully I am sure ) so that would seem to not be a good thing....

I am in Canada, so Clomid, hcg, etc.... are just not prescribed here. Restarts are unheard of.

Looking for thoughts and advice on this.

Im pretty apprehensive to follow this advice so thoughts appreciated.....

Hello,

Been on HRT for 7 years. Started when I was 43. I would like to get off HRT if possible. I probably did not need to be on it when I started, but you know how that is......

I was hoping to do an HPTA restart so I talked to my Dr, and was refereed to an endocrinologist.

The endo suggests cutting the dose to half for a month, then cold turkey.
Then test testosterone levels to see if the testes can start producing again on their own.

What would this even be like? I would have very low levels for quite a while ( like rock bottom as I am shut down now fully I am sure ) so that would seem to not be a good thing....

I am in Canada, so Clomid, hcg, etc.... are just not prescribed here. Restarts are unheard of.

Looking for thoughts and advice on this.

Im pretty apprehensive to follow this advice so thoughts appreciated.....

welcome to the site. can you share all your bloodworks? need to see your numbers.

Unfortunately, I dont have any as only a DR can request blood work here. No private labs available....
My last test was about a year ago and showed my test level was higher than normal ( thats all Dr. would give me so no number )

Unfortunately, I dont have any as only a DR can request blood work here. No private labs available....
My last test was about a year ago and showed my test level was higher than normal ( thats all Dr. would give me so no number )

how far do you live from the states? cant you drive there and get labs done? sucks that only your doc can request labs.

It does suck. Its about a days drive, so not really an option.
I did talk to someone in the US about an HTPA restart program. I could travel there and bring meds back, but it makes me nervous to use clomid, hcg etc... without a Dr. care.

Thats why its so hard to figure out what to do in Canada as there are not many options available.
Ive been shutdown for 7 years, so I really wonder if I could get a normal level after a restart anyway.
I would like to avoid TRT for the rest of my life if I could though.

So you know restarts around here are typically done with clomid and nolvadex. And if possible a run of HCG prior to those drugs to get the boys firing again.

At your age, and after 7 years, going cold turkey is a pretty poor plan of attack. I think you already know this based on your post. I'd suggest you source some clomid and nolva at a minimum, and even better if you can get a couple 5,000 IU bottles of HCG and run 1,000 per day for 10 days prior to starting PCT.

If it was me I'd go and get the clomid and hcg and study up on it and pin it. It's not rocket science.
Dont be afraid bro there are many members around here that can guide you through it as any one of us at any given time is taking clomid along with nolva and pinning hcg.

Last edited:
If I found myself in this situation.....I would do the restart. Hcg for a few weeks as suggested then clomid and nolva or even just clomid at low dose for a good long while.

Unfortunately.....you need labs to tell you what your level is after pct. You need to confirm that your test is high enough and estrogen low enough. If you go off of feel alone then it changes too much to be a good gauge.

Sorry you're in this situation bro. I would either do the restart and see where I land.......or just stay on test injections

If you go cold turkey without a restart you are in for about 3-4 months of pure hell. the first 3-4 weeks arent so bad. After that you will be really sore, both ur muscles and legiments and joints will hurt all the time. You wont have any energy and all you will want to do is lay in bed and sleep, but your sleep wont be restful. As your HTPA gets going again you will start feeling more normal.

Its incredibly hard to get on TRT in Canada, there are a lot of guys who would literally do anything to have qualifying labwork to get dr perscribed testosterone. Kinda wondering what your motivation is here.

You only can T cancel cold turkey. Any little dose will prevent a reset of your own production.
Doctors suggestion is absolute correct.
Clomid/Tamox and so on ... I don't see the sense of it, because if your T is down, also your E2 is away and this stuff makes you more feeling bad as it must be.

You only can T cancel cold turkey. Any little dose will prevent a reset of your own production.
Clomid/Tamox and so on ... I don't see the sense of it, because if your T is down, also your E2 is away and this stuff makes you more feeling bad as it must be.

No. Cold turkey is without a proper restart. If you don't do HCG after being on TRT for a while you will never recover with just Clomid and Tamox.

Also when you have been on a long ester that long it builds up in your system and takes months to get out. Switching to propionate for 2 months and then coming off is a much better idea.

Last edited:

This is just stupid talk. His natural production has been suppressed for 7 years. HE should do a standard restart then test and test again. There is no need to crash. It isn't healthy ether.

Generally, if he was not on hcg... I see no chance for recovering after 7 years.
After 6 months changes have a big chance to be permanent and over years...

Why would you doctor cut your TRT? If anyone begins a TRT it must have a medical background and if anyone does it, it is a lifelong thing then.
!?

TRT isn't a cure for only limited time!

Generally, if he was not on hcg... I see no chance for recovering after 7 years.
After 6 months changes have a big chance to be permanent and over years...

Why would you doctor cut your TRT? If anyone begins a TRT it must have a medical background and if anyone does it, it is a lifelong thing then.
!?

TRT isn't a cure for only limited time!

Really? Why do you say that? We have people do successful restarts all the time after being on TRT for 10 + years.

Is there a reason you say he won't recover?

Optimal testosterone at 41 years old never having been on TRT, unlikely as you are approaching an age where testosterone is expected to be declining. Now add to it that you've been shutdown for 7 years and your testosterone would have decline in that time anyway, so expect levels lower than pre-TRT. You want optimal testosterone for the next several decades, then you need TRT.

You are at high risk for cardiovascular disease when testosterone is low especially in your 40's, women are also at high risk for all sorts of diseases after menopause. My sister has had hot flashes for years and recently fell on her back in the rain and found out after fractured bones weren't healing and found out that she has osteoporosis.

You must seek out private clinic as socialized medicine is a terrible idea when seeking advice or treatment of bioidentical hormone therapies.

Seek out Dr. Lawrence D. Komer Burlington, Ontario.

Last edited:
Back