Drinking to much water while you workout?

Richard.Rawl27

Hey guys. I've been hitting the gym hard lately and I can't help but drink allot of water while I do so. My workout usually lasts for about an hour, sometimes more. Within that time, I drink 2 quarts of water, sometimes more. I don't think I am sweating out that much, lol, but could it harm my overall workout, drinking so much water?

After the workout, I do feel sluggish, like I did drink to much water. Could it be possible that I am gaining water weight by drinking so much? If so, how much should I limit myself to?

A good question. I haven't measured how much I urinate, but it does somewhat seem abit less then what I drink, along with what I sweat out.

Ok let's not make this more complicated then it needs to be.

A classic sign of drinking too much water during workouts are breaks to pee - if your going to the toilet 2/3x while working out then your overdoing it.

If your thirsty then drink, if not then don't.
No one can give you a set maximum for water consumption since its based on way too many factors.
And no - you can't suddenly hold water if you drank too much, your body will simply get rid of the excess.

Ok let's not make this more complicated then it needs to be.

A classic sign of drinking too much water during workouts are breaks to pee - if your going to the toilet 2/3x while working out then your overdoing it.

If your thirsty then drink, if not then don't.
No one can give you a set maximum for water consumption since its based on way too many factors.
And no - you can't suddenly hold water if you drank too much, your body will simply get rid of the excess.

Thanks man.

I see retards at my gym walking around with a gallon of water. Ive never seen such retarded shit....

Try drinking more water through out your regular day. You probably just don't have enough in your system and when you start working out your body is craving what it is missing.

I drink half a gallon while Working out.. Don't make a big deal about it

This goes hand in hand with a girl who once asked me when she should drink water while she was eating, man, if your thirsty drink water PERIOD. I have also seen lots of uninformed and conformist lifters at the gym with their red B*** or other energy drink, and these drinks will dehydrate you faster than you can spit. Also watch what you drink before your workout as these energy drinks will have alot to do with how thirsty you get during your workout, and for those who drink coffee before a workout, take this advice to heart as well.
View attachment 558879

I drink half a gallon while Working out.. Don't make a big deal about it

That's what I consume as well, I have a little bit of carbs in there and BCAAs as well.

As already stated if your having to break to urinate multiple time during your workout then your consuming too much. But you absolutely need to consume a decent amount during and also before, muscle cells need to be hydrated at all times. Not keeping them hydrated will result in them not performing as well as they could have and not achieving a proper pump, which is an absolute must in my books.

Last edited:
This goes hand in hand with a girl who once asked me when she should drink water while she was eating, man, if your thirsty drink water PERIOD. I have also seen lots of uninformed and conformist lifters at the gym with their red B*** or other energy drink, and these drinks will dehydrate you faster than you can spit. Also watch what you drink before your workout as these energy drinks will have alot to do with how thirsty you get during your workout, and for those who drink coffee before a workout, take this advice to heart as well.
View attachment 558879

Ya lol, I see dudes rocking Monsters and Rockstars during the workout, also sometime a big Starbucks, lol. I think a small amount of caffine has its place pre workout, but not these type of drinks. Take in one and piss out three times as much as you took in. Not hard to see why this isn't a good idea.

HEY! I LOVE my Rockstar's and PWO drinks! :destroy:

On the same hand, I do also drink about 4 gallons of water a day in the summer. I don't think it's possible to drink too much water unless you're actively trying to.

Just keep drinking the water OP, your body will adjust and you'll stop retaining it as much. It just takes a little bit of time for this to happen.

My .02c :)

HEY! I LOVE my Rockstar's and PWO drinks! :destroy:

On the same hand, I do also drink about 4 gallons of water a day in the summer. I don't think it's possible to drink too much water unless you're actively trying to.

Just keep drinking the water OP, your body will adjust and you'll stop retaining it as much. It just takes a little bit of time for this to happen.

My .02c :)
4 gallons of water per day! damn!
go brother!

I'm bumping this thread since I was reading this article today:

Is Bottled Water Safer than Tap Water? / Elite FTS

It pretty much suggests that tap water is a better choice than bottled water.
It also suggests that your being ripped off if your spending a lot of money on bottled/mineral water under the impression that its "safer" or "cleaner".

Interesting read IMO :)

If the bottled water states on the label "from municipal sources", it IS tap water. I read an article similar awhile ago, and it's totally true that there are less restrictions on bottled water, and they often filter out too much -- leaving you with less benefits from drinking it.

If the bottled water states on the label "from municipal sources", it IS tap water. I read an article similar awhile ago, and it's totally true that there are less restrictions on bottled water, and they often filter out too much -- leaving you with less benefits from drinking it.

Out of habit more than anything, I've always used bottled mineral water but the article makes me think its a complete waste of money.
The part about tap water being more regulated than bottled was particularly eye opening.

But tap water taste's awful, and bottled water doesn't so...I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon :)

Back