Energy loss after minor seizure

MadLuke

The title pretty much explains it all, but here goes anyway. Background:

I have an unusual seizure condition, not epilepsy, that causes violent, persistent Tonic seizures in various parts of my body. I have had these since I was 8, accompanied by a constant headache that feels like a balloon is inflating my head. These seizures have been severe enough to cause muscle tears and lacerations, often serious enough to warrant surgery to combat internal bleeding. I've had 18 such surgeries over 17 years. Doctors thought it was epilepsy, but it can't be induced with strobes or other common triggers, and most epilepsy drugs either make things worse or do nothing at all. The seizures also commonly last more than a minute, with the weaker ones lasting longer than ones that are stronger. I also noticed that the stronger seizures happened in lesser developed muscle groups, along with happening in the most use muscle groups. The majority of them happen in my legs and lower back, and I've tried a few ways to tackle that as well, but its been years since I've devoted much time to it, until now.

I dealt with doctors messing around for over a decade, and often making things much worse, before I took matters into my own hands. I tried just about every mineral and natural remedy, putting myself through hell for a while, until I struck upon a balance. Magnesium is the key, and high dosages combat it effectively. I went from a seizure a week to 8-10 weeks between seizures, often longer. Compared to one of the drugs they put me on, which created one or two a DAY, and kept me in and out of the hospital for 6 months, this is fairly effective at helping things.

I had one such seizure around 11am on Saturday. It started with a sudden blurriness of vision, following by colors smearing. After a few seconds, it hit, like a knife sliding into my chest and cutting down. This one started up near my left clavicle, and extended down towards my lower rib cage, finally settling down at the bottom of my pecks, left of the lower part of my sternum. It sat there, pulling at the muscle, for close to 15 minutes. Other muscles spammed as well, along with my equilibrium going nuts. I was at the grocery store, and had to use my shopping cart to stay standing, while locking my knees. My breathing was painful, but unrestricted, and my vision was unaffected after the initial aura.

A little old lady shopping near me was kinda freaked out when all this started, and she said my face was bright red for several minutes. This was a minor seizure, one that has just left a bruise across my chest, but no further damage.

This isn't unusual, and minor seizures are a good thing, stronger ones land me in the hospital. But the issue I'd like to tackle now is the sudden, and extreme, energy loss that follows it. I barely made it home from the store(which is across the street from my apt) before passing out on the couch. I woke up after about an hour, put my groceries away, and tried to do a few chores, but finally went to be around 3PM, and slept until 8AM Sunday morning.

Mega suggested it may be due to glycogen depletion, but could half a dozen muscles really have that big of an impact on my entire body's energy level? This after effect happens no matter where the seizure strikes, or its severity. I remember reading that muscle glycogen doesn't transfer from muscle to muscle, is this true? Also, anyone had any ideas what else could be the cause of my energy loss?

I'm not a doctor, but I know a little bit about how the body works, I'd guess that as your seizures are essentially when your brain goes super critical and releases too much energy down your nervous system - the "wiring" becomes overloaded. Think of it as unplugging your car's 12V battery, and plugging in a 36V one for a minute. After plugging back in the original, some components will amazingly still work, but some components (hopefully protected by diodes/relays/fuses) won't start back up.

The neurological connection from your brain, down your spine, to the peripheral nervous system has to "reset" those "fuses and breakers". This is also why folks that weight train should take deload weeks (reducing weight by a significant amount), to allow the electric system of the body heal.

Sadly, I don't know nearly enough about your condition to offer any meaningful advice, but as magnesium is a chief component of neurological health - I can totally understand why it has helped you. I would look perhaps into adding the other electrolytes into your supplementation too, as potassium/calcium/sodium all are needed to maintain a healthy balance.

Hope you feel better, and take it easy.

My .02c :)

I take 2000mg of magnesium a day, along with 500mg potassium glutamate, could add a few more supplements in there as needed.

not to sound like a hippy or something. but medical cannabis has been a great help and stopped many seizures of some people i know.
you could maybe make a tea and try.
i dont know about your condition much, but it may help

Cannabis is a no go, even with a prescription/medical recomendation. I work in security, zero tolerance for all officers. No exceptions.

I take 2000mg of magnesium a day, along with 500mg potassium glutamate, could add a few more supplements in there as needed.

Have you ever had electrolytes checked on a blood panel? Absorption can be a problem for some of us. I remember getting a test done, and I was really surprised to see my sodium was below the bottom of the range. Explained some of the cramping going on though.

Also what drugs were you taking before you decided to self medicate?

Were you seen by a seizure neurologist?

Curious as to why your seizures have progressed for 8 years despite being seen by doctors.

Im a neurosurgeon by the way.

Good luck.

Back