enough cardio?

fresnocali<3

I am training for a show in a few months... my cardio routine is usually 45 to 50 minutes, most of the time I'll walk at an incline for half an hour(starting at incline 6.0 at a 3.5 pace and increasing it every 5 minutes eventually ending up at an 11.0 incline and a 4.0 pace)...for the last 15/20 min, I will ride teh bike doing 5 min intervals of 3 min at 8.0 then 2min at 14.0....

any suggestions on cardio routines? Cardio really bores me.

How many days per week do you do cardio. If the show is in a few months I suggest 3-4 times a week right now, with 2 of those sessions being intense HIIT, and the other steady state.

If you find cardio boring mix it up. Running one day, treadmill another, swimming another, etc. I prefer running.....not so boring and challenging.
You can also use music or you can read while on a machine to make it go faster.

I actually do cardio 5 to 6 times a week with HIIT at least 4 times a week for 15-20min. I do not burn fat easily so Ive always thought the more cardio for me the better! I agree with the book and music..anythying to keep my focus off the fact im running/biking in place and not going anywhere..haha!

ok.. thanks for the advice. I think I am going to start to reverse my times... HIIT for 30-35 then walking at an incline or the eliptical for 15-20.

Do you do your cardio first thing in the morning? If not, I would def try that! I always do mine in the morning on an empty stomach. Can really make a difference in burning fat.

jul said:
Do you do your cardio first thing in the morning? If not, I would def try that! I always do mine in the morning on an empty stomach. Can really make a difference in burning fat.
I just started doing that......it seems so damn hard.

Do you find you are drained the whole time and struggling to complete the cardio? When I have food I am fine but without I struggle. Is this how I should feel? Once in awhile I'll also have a protein shake before if I feel too hungry. Good...or no good?

I agree with Jul... cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomoch is the best... however, because of my schedule and cold weather, I usually dont so cardio in the am... however, if I am able to, I feel great and energized the rest of the day!

Regarding drinking a protein shake before an early workout.... I used to do that, but my trainer had me stop and told me to take glutamine before and after early workouts...

I can get really lean without early morning cardio but I'm wondering if it will speed up the process?

Did you notice a difference with glutamine? I've never taken it......I've heard it's pretty much like a placebo. Maybe I'll try it!

The am cardio is something you have to get used too for sure. But I def reach my goals of getting leaner a lil quicker. I have had some clients just drink a protein shake before hand if needed. No carbs or fat though. The whole purpose of doing cardio in a fasted state is to used stored fat as energy vs carbs.

Back