FDA Orders Warning Labels on Testosterone Drugs

Mr P

Super Moderator
I found this article

March 4, 2015 -- Testosterone-boosting drugs taken by millions of American men have never been proven to be safe or effective for treating aging-related problems such as low sex drive and fatigue, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says.

On Tuesday, the agency also said the drugs can increase the risk of heart attack and told manufacturers they must add that caution to the warning labels on the products, the Associated Press reported.

A similar warning about testosterone drugs was issued last summer by Canadian health officials.

The agency also told drug companies must clarify that the drugs are only approved to treat low testosterone levels caused by injury or disease.

For years, testosterone pills, patches, gels and injections have been marketed as treatments for low testosterone levels, and sales of the drugs have risen to more than $2 billion.

"There's been a very successful advertising campaign to make men feel that whatever their problem is, the answer is to buy more testosterone," Dr. Sidney Wolfe, of the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen, told the AP.

Last February, the group petitioned the FDA to have testosterone drugs carry a boxed warning -- the most serious type -- about heart risks, but the FDA said there was "insufficient evidence" for such a warning and rejected the petition.

The FDA launched a safety review of testosterone drugs in January 2014 after two federal studies linked them with higher rates of serious problems such as heart attack and stroke. However, other studies have suggested an association between testosterone replacement and longevity, the AP reported.

Men's testosterone levels naturally decrease after age 40, but there is disagreement on whether this actually causes problems such as lower bone density and less energy.

Last edited:
Typical media bullshit. Soon AAS will be completely banned and placed on the schedule 1 drug list by the dea. Many people think steroids are more dangerous than tobacco, heroin, coke, and pain killers because of the media.

The gov latest attempt to tell the people what they can and can t have add to it liability lawyers compounded by a nation of mostly fat lazy fucks who are receptive to this latest propaganda and to ANY reason to justify not getting off they re asses AND to hate us who will fight tooth and nail to look and perform at the highest level we can given our age..

The gov latest attempt to tell the people what they can and can t have add to it liability lawyers compounded by a nation of mostly fat lazy fucks who are receptive to this latest propaganda and to ANY reason to justify not getting off they re asses AND to hate us who will fight tooth and nail to look and perform at the highest level we can given our age..

fat bastards haters gonna hate

I fkn hate them back P. A buddies wife ripped on me last fall saying I was risking my health taking trt " And I m a cardiac nurse, RN so I would know T"----- she said w a goblet of red wine in hand, a Marlboro red in the other dressed out at about 230 at 5 ft 5 inches.

" I find it harder to look at you than talk to you as a member of the cardiac unit at memorial...in fact there are few obese people I take seriously."

Well..me and Mike do not talk much but Mrs T spewed her wine out . Both at the hilarity and adbuptness of my answer. And as she s got a 99 pd body at 5 ft even...was in silent if uncomfortable agreement. I really can t take them seriously though...

But to be fair, and if we were all being open to possibilities and being honest with ourselves, even estrogen replacement therapy in women comes with some risk for increased stroke, although those studies took 40,000 women and 5+ years to show this risk association definitely, as well as a few types of cancer that ERT comes with. SO, my best guess based on all the data so far accrued in men, which is arguable scant at best compared to what we know about ERT in women, is that TRT will have an overall increased risk for cardiovascular disease across the broader male population. You guys should be open-minded enough to at least consider this. However, I do think the risk is low in men under 60. But knowing you are at increased risk for CV disease because of your choice for TRT gives you power, as you can lower other risk factors, such as not smoking, not being overweight, and staying generally fit.

There also should be a warning label that you may be able to reduce or come off your cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, and/or depression meds should you be hypogonadal male and supplement with testosterone..oh wait, that'd be bad for big pharma and the govt who receives shit tons of tax $$$ and playoffs from big pharma. Golly gees... Never mind

Guess my Libertarian roots are showing again

If your drink too much bottled water at once your kidneys will shut down and you'll die..
Water is some pretty dangerous shit ! Stick your face in a bucket of water for only three minutes, and you'll be dead.
Testosterone isn't near as dangerous as bottled water!!

I think there should be FDA warning labels on bottled water too **

** no I'm kidding.. GTFO of the way big brother

Gbrad and Moppy,

Exactly. And I m not hating on the medically obese or special needs types. I m talking about the greed of the pharmacies, the over all laziness, the instant gratification society etc that we as people concerned with our appearance or performance make choices that recquire discipline. And are thereby despised by some folks looking for justifications.. The woman in my example was a smoking hot cock tail waitress who got my boy w 2 kids a 250k mortgage and gained 100 pounds...it s easier than saying no to another candy bar, drink , helping of lasagna..

The FDA ruling will open doors to law suits and make getting trt harder.

Yet we can go buy cigarettes at will from the corner quikmart

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what's kills more people in the USA, tobacco or food?

Last edited:
But to be fair, and if we were all being open to possibilities and being honest with ourselves, even estrogen replacement therapy in women comes with some risk for increased stroke, although those studies took 40,000 women and 5+ years to show this risk association definitely, as well as a few types of cancer that ERT comes with. SO, my best guess based on all the data so far accrued in men, which is arguable scant at best compared to what we know about ERT in women, is that TRT will have an overall increased risk for cardiovascular disease across the broader male population. You guys should be open-minded enough to at least consider this. However, I do think the risk is low in men under 60. But knowing you are at increased risk for CV disease because of your choice for TRT gives you power, as you can lower other risk factors, such as not smoking, not being overweight, and staying generally fit.

I think the real culprit is unmanaged estrogen in guys on TRT. If doctors only understood this, TRT would be much safer for men.

If your drink too much bottled water at once your kidneys will shut down and you'll die..
Water is some pretty dangerous shit ! Stick your face in a bucket of water for only three minutes, and you'll be dead.
Testosterone isn't near as dangerous as bottled water!!

While I understand your point, I can hold my breath for 5 minutes if I am not active during the time. Tested it in a swimming pool. However, if I am thrashing about, trying to get out of the bucket, I have no idea how long I can hold my breath - but I am sure it is far shorter. :)

You are correct, Di-hydro-oxide is a dangerous substance. It destroys beaches and riverbeds, cracks roads, rips rocks in two...it really is a powerful and dangerous thing. Almost 4,000 people a year die from accidentally getting large amounts of the substance into their lungs and it ranks fifth among the leading causes of unintentional injury death in the United States!!!

I thought that this study was debunked and the label horseshit was retracted? Or... Is this ANOTHER attempt by some serious nut jobs?

What blows my mind is that there were two studies done indicating a possible risk, which prompts this circus - yet the HUNDREDS of studies indicating how low testosterone is MORE dangerous don't even make a ripple in the media pond.

I smell agenda here; while testosterone products make billions, I'm sure the plethora of other meds will make 10x that if every script were removed from patients' hands. Antidepressants, anti-anxiety, diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, thyroid, adrenal, and whatever else is impacted by test would be treated with these band-aids.

Makes me want to punch some folks in the mouth... Errrrrrrrrr, delicately remind them that messing with MY hormones is a bad idea. :)

I thought that this study was debunked and the label horseshit was retracted? Or... Is this ANOTHER attempt by some serious nut jobs?

What blows my mind is that there were two studies done indicating a possible risk, which prompts this circus - yet the HUNDREDS of studies indicating how low testosterone is MORE dangerous don't even make a ripple in the media pond.

I smell agenda here; while testosterone products make billions, I'm sure the plethora of other meds will make 10x that if every script were removed from patients' hands. Antidepressants, anti-anxiety, diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, thyroid, adrenal, and whatever else is impacted by test would be treated with these band-aids.

Makes me want to punch some folks in the mouth... Errrrrrrrrr, delicately remind them that messing with MY hormones is a bad idea. :)

Of course there is an agenda. Out of shape and weak people hate to see people looking good and being strong. You would be surprised at how much people hate on people with big muscles. It is the reason piece of shit gyms like planet fatness exist. People are intimidated by something they can not obtain so they want to ban it, simple as that.

Typical media bullshit. Soon AAS will be completely banned and placed on the schedule 1 drug list by the dea. Many people think steroids are more dangerous than tobacco, heroin, coke, and pain killers because of the media.

It piss me off too.
This bull shit stuff!

Of course there is an agenda. Out of shape and weak people hate to see people looking good and being strong. You would be surprised at how much people hate on people with big muscles. It is the reason piece of shit gyms like planet fatness exist. People are intimidated by something they can not obtain so they want to ban it, simple as that.

Haha, I actually have a membership at planet fitness. They love me there. :cool:

For the cardio equipment and tanning fellas, lol. :p

Haha, I actually have a membership at planet fitness. They love me there. :cool:

For the cardio equipment and tanning fellas, lol. :p

Your planet fitness must be very lenient. At my local planet fitness the people are rude and stare at you like you are an animal. I would accompany my wife and never had that alarm thing rang, but heard it go off twice and one of the times the guy did nothing other than exhale, not grunt. If felt very awkward in that place, and the craziest thing was when they pulled out the squat racks and flat benches. She still goes there, but I rarely ever walk into that place. Good to here that your Planet Fitness is not too bad.

I go to PF for the cost and the drive is short. I go to a sho nuff dungeon when I m uninjured on my big day s chest leg s back. I go at 4 am or before 4 pm when the traffic is intolerable and gym etiquite ? is lacking...guy s doing 30 rep s and texting between sets..look at me like I am stupid when I ask to "work in"...

But the tanning is nice...........

Back