Filter larger amount

OveeR

Hi bros..
I'm researching methods of filtration and then I found this product: medical-and-lab-supplies.com/filtration/disposable-vacuum-filters/complete-filter-units/nalgene-nylon-membrane-complete-unit-500ml-count-1.html

For this product I need only operate an air valve connected to the nozzle? In the case could be a manual air pump or electric air pump?

I wonder also if the filter contained in it is the same filter used in syringes, and may change from time to time?

please excuse my english, I'm brazilian.

If anyone has new methods to teach I appreciate it.

Thank you all.

These are really good questions. I'm a beginner when it comes to filtration systems, but there are members here who are knowledgeable on this topic.

Hopefully, some of them will stop by and share some ideas.

You can use the filter you are describing, however, it is not the same filter material as the syringe filters. Syringe filters use a pvfd membrane not a nylon membrane.
You can use a hand operated vacuum pump.
Personally, I dont like ghe disposable units you describe. I use whatman chemical resistant zap caps. I put those on top of a glass flask.
Its less expensive this way, whatman makes a better filter, and you will have less problems. The zap caps are still disposable, but the lower unit is not (the flask)

You can use the filter you are describing, however, it is not the same filter material as the syringe filters. Syringe filters use a pvfd membrane not a nylon membrane.
You can use a hand operated vacuum pump.
Personally, I dont like ghe disposable units you describe. I use whatman chemical resistant zap caps. I put those on top of a glass flask.
Its less expensive this way, whatman makes a better filter, and you will have less problems. The zap caps are still disposable, but the lower unit is not (the flask)

hijacked, do you have a link or a photo of this Whatman zap-caps filtration system?

One thing I noticed about Nalgene nylon membranes is that they are very expensive to replace.

Thank you for the info, mate.

Wow.. Got it ... many people say that this method is not really the best.

Could you talk more about your method @hijacked?

Also already read that nylon membranes are too slow! @Butt

hijacked, do you have a link or a photo of this Whatman zap-caps filtration system?

There are some on amazon even. I have only used these filters with a glass media bottle, but I have had no issues. Filters fast enough for me.

Look for something like this:
Whatman ZapCap Chemically Resistant Disposable Bottle-Top Filters with Nylon Membrane, Whatman 10443421

They also have a zap-cap S for higher flow (it includes a pre-filter) part number 10443430

There are some on amazon even. I have only used these filters with a glass media bottle, but I have had no issues. Filters fast enough for me.

Whatman ZapCap Chemically Resistant Disposable Bottle-Top Filters with Nylon Membrane, Whatman 10443421

They also have a zap-cap S for higher flow (it includes a pre-filter) part number 10443430

Thank you, SmilingBob! I have saved these info and will look for these filters :D.

Very good @SmilingBob thanks!

So buying this product you mentioned, still need the vacuum pump, and also a becker glass to house the filtered solution ..

this is correct, or not?

thanks all

So buying this product you mentioned, still need the vacuum pump, and also a becker glass to house the filtered solution ..

this is correct, or not?

Yes that's correct. You need a sterile glass flask/bottle to hold your finished product and you need a device to create a small vacuum like either a hand pump or electric one.

One thing I noticed about Nalgene nylon membranes is that they are very expensive to replace.

Thank you for the info, mate.
Sure, here is a link. These filters are the best. Ive tried them all. They do not come with the lower unit. Thats why a flask is required.
500ml Whatman Zapcap 33/45mm fitting neck - 0.45 micron (Qty. 12) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply
If for some reason the link is not allowed, and it gets removed, then pm me

Sorry smiling bob, didnt see your post. I have much better luck getting them to seal on a flask rather than a media bottle.

woww...

Thanks @hijacked!!
and thanks @SmilingBob!!

thanks bro's...

but how this ml disposable filter can filter? I mean, I filter 1l and then throw it away? What is the amount that can be filtered?

but how this ml disposable filter can filter? I mean, I filter 1l and then throw it away? What is the amount that can be filtered?

I have never tried filtering that much in one session. I see your concern since the filters are not cheap. All I know personally is it can handle 500ml in a little over an hour and a half (I had problems getting the receiver bottle to seal tightly against the filter. In the future I will try a flask like hijacked recommended).

If I had to guess, I would say the filter should be able to handle at least 1L probably more. But, that also depends on how clean your material is to start with. Dirty oil will clog it faster and really slow you down when getting towards the end of a long run.

Back