Fina conversion questions...

Gobus

Heretic
I am using Universalkits procedure and was wondering a few things...

1.) Putting the product through the coffee filter will not lose any of the TA as long as it has completely dissolved in the solution? Just the binders and fillers, correct?

2.) After doing a conversion before, my Whatman filters kept clogging up. I made sure that the solution was warm(not too hot) but it took like 45 min per 10cc. Is this normal, and is any TA being lost in the process if the filter is clogged, or will it just take longer?

3.) Anyone tried a hand pump vaccuum for the conversion, and does it work well?

Gobus said:
I am using Universalkits procedure and was wondering a few things...

1.) Putting the product through the coffee filter will not lose any of the TA as long as it has completely dissolved in the solution? Just the binders and fillers, correct?

2.) After doing a conversion before, my Whatman filters kept clogging up. I made sure that the solution was warm(not too hot) but it took like 45 min per 10cc. Is this normal, and is any TA being lost in the process if the filter is clogged, or will it just take longer?

3.) Anyone tried a hand pump vaccuum for the conversion, and does it work well?

1.) correct
2.) I didn't time it but it took a hell of a long time for me to do 10cc's as well. prob at least 30 minutes
3.)never tried it

It is a good idea to order a few extra filters with your kits.
Especially for a first time experiment.

Also, the longer you let you particulate settle, the less likely a filter will plug early.
You can also run your solution through a coffee filter first,this will remove a lot of the larger particulate, and make filtering a bit easier.

If you have problems with the filters clogging try backing them out and pushing again, if things get real ugly let me know and I'll send you another filter. We have been having major issues with the sterile filters as far as availability and such. Whatman will be available here again in April and until then I think I may have found one by Millipore that might work in the interim.

Back