Gene's financial worries

SpikeyLizard said:
Cosigns.

When the public sees powerlifting, they see (in their minds at least) a bunch of overgrown, juiced up (since Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) is the devil and all) superfreaks who are just frankly weird to them. Most people can relate to a football, basketball, baseball, or tennis player because they have likely played one of those sports, at least recreationally.

How many people can relate to a powerlifter based on any kind of experience? And nobody give me that drivel about how many people in this country lift or workout, because we all know that's nothing like PL'ing. Powerlifting requires a determination, dedication, mindset, and work ethic that most people in this country don't possess. If folks can't understand the sport (or, more accurately, the athletes and the goals) then they aren't going to be willing to shell out their money to watch it - it's just that simple.

Well said bro.

That being said, I have to disagree with the last point. Let's not forget that PLs also started out somewhere. EVERY PL out there started with 45lbs on their back and worked their way up. So, though most hardcore/consistent lifters out there may not be able to lift as much as the average PL, they DO appreciate and can relate to PL (perhaps they may even move over to PL in the near future). I can offer myself as a prime example. I'm a "powerbuilder" rather than a exclusively a PL or BB who started out doing primarily BB (isolation) movements.

Toranaga said:
Let's not forget that PLs also started out somewhere. EVERY PL out there started with 45lbs on their back and worked their way up. So, though most hardcore/consistent lifters out there may not be able to lift as much as the average PL, they DO appreciate and can relate to PL (perhaps they may even move over to PL in the near future). I can offer myself as a prime example. I'm a "powerbuilder" rather than a exclusively a PL or BB who started out doing primarily BB (isolation) movements.

I agree. But how many of these people are out there? I promise you that the fan base for PL'ing is nowhere near as substantial as the fanbase of the NFL, NBA, or MLB. It's simply a game of numbers - when you have tens of millions of football fans, there's going to be more money in that than when you have, say, hundreds of thousands of hardcore PL'ing fans (if that many).

I started out the same way as you, reading the BB'ing mags and thinking that concentration curls and leg extensions were the way to get big. I'm also right where you are now, as I train like a powerbuilder too. Believe me, I can relate.

SpikeyLizard said:
It's simply a game of numbers - when you have tens of millions of football fans, there's going to be more money in that than when you have, say, hundreds of thousands of hardcore PL'ing fans (if that many).

Now we're on the same page.

To achieve widespread popularity (be that the presidential candidate or Krispie Cream cookies), what we need is the right Marketing (i.e image projection) which I touched upon earlier. Humpty Dumpty in a tight suit is not much of a sale as far as the majority of the population goes.

Right, but when Humpty Dumpty in that tight suit lifts more weight than everybody else, especially in the bench press (because, once again, let's face it that the majority of people who do 'work out' don't squat or dead, so they can look at a bench and say 'yeah, I do that lift'), then he is, and deserves to be, the superstar of the sport, at least in that particular lift. It's not what's going to sell, but until somebody who looks like a Men's Health model can win or at least provide competition, Gene and the other "well rounded" lifters like him are going to be the ones getting publicity.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, let me just elaborate on my last point: I wasn't knocking Gene's accomplishments NOR his physique relative to BB. I am comparing him to other PLs like Mendelson who present, in my opinion, a better image of the sport. One that SHOULD be used to sell the sport a hell of a lot more to the public than is being done now. To those who point out that PL is only about the numbers; let's not forget that Mendelson until recently held the bench record (Arnold Classic champ, etc) and is still a contender; Gene and Medy have had a huge rivalry going.

scot%20822.jpg

One of the world's greatest benchers (he might still go for the WR and beat Gene)and he can show Abs. It simply validates the point that PLs do NOT have to be fat, pudgy bastards (common public perception) to lift heavy.

dennisscot2.jpg

Last edited:
Toranaga said:
Perhaps I wasn't clear, let me just elaborate on my last point: I wasn't knocking Gene's accomplishments NOR his physique relative to BB. I am comparing him to other PLs like Mendelson who present, in my opinion, a better image of the sport. One that SHOULD be used to sell the sport a hell of a lot more to the public than is being done now. To those who point out that PL is only about the numbers; let's not forget that Mendelson until recently held the bench record (Arnold Classic champ, etc) and is still a contender; Gene and Medy have had a huge rivalry going.

scot%20822.jpg

One of the world's greatest benchers (he might still go for the WR and beat Gene)and he can show Abs. It simply validates the point that PLs do NOT have to be fat, pudgy bastards (common public perception) to lift heavy.

dennisscot2.jpg
at the same token with his abs I dont see him pushing 1k on the bench either! ronnie coleman has abs, dexter jackson has abs, etc, but i dont see anyone of them pushing 1k. Who cares if mendelson has abs to see PL is about pushing weight as much as possible not trying to pose on the bench or squat rack flexing it. there is rivary going on with mendelson vs Gene becuase mendelson cant touch his 1k bench if he could he would be doing it.

jocktheglide said:
at the same token with his abs I dont see him pushing 1k on the bench either! ronnie coleman has abs, dexter jackson has abs, etc, but i dont see anyone of them pushing 1k. Who cares if mendelson has abs to see PL is about pushing weight as much as possible not trying to pose on the bench or squat rack flexing it. there is rivary going on with mendelson vs Gene becuase mendelson cant touch his 1k bench if he could he would be doing it.
mendelson has serious issues with his shirts , he has plenty of horsepower to do the job , he probably has more raw power than anyone else at the top of the bench game .gene is a genius with his equipment and incredibly strong himself but the truth is if scott ever dials in a shirt at a meet and hes haveing a good day he can easily surpass 1000 pounds . a pretty legit rumor said he did 950 for a double in the gym with several credible witnesses and 950 for a double is just insane :insane2:

there's a shot of him hittng 1005 in the gym that was posted on here some time back. had some big boys spotting. mendy is a stud no doubt. he'll hit it in a meet soon.

Mendy is out of commision now, very serious car accident. I believe he has a broken leg.

DADAWG said:
i bet the car that hit that big rascal is totaled :)

actually from what i read it was 7 cars and their were two fatalities. I beleive his sister posted at fortifiediron.

damn. anthony clrk was envolved in a bad one a year or two ago. never heard anymore about it. anyone else?

pullinbig said:
damn. anthony clrk was envolved in a bad one a year or two ago. never heard anymore about it. anyone else?
heard he was in bad shape bro . as the only top level reverse grip bencher i really hate to see him out of commision .

got this from a friend of mendy's

"Yes it's true I was with him 2 days before the accident when his sister Shawna got married.. Scot was driving home from work and he was behind a car going too slow so he moved out of the lane and when he did he didnt realize there was a stalled car in the lane he moved into with the lights off and no hazzards either. He hit the car at around 60 mph and the engine of the van he was driving was thrown into the front seat with him and crushed his lower tibia,fibula, and ankle. After this his car spun out into more traffic where it hit 6 other cars and there were 2 fatalities from it.. Not a joke, serious stuff.. The mere fact that he survived such an accident is amazing.. He spent a week in the hospital and hes now home.. If you care enuff please pray for the big guy and his family along with the other families that were effected by this horrible accident... "

pullinbig said:

Clark's acciden't wasn't the "serious" issue that he had to deal with. He was being treated for Heart Failure and had been for years. He was in Vanderbilt Hospital for quite a while.

As far as the money thing...

...if you are broke and need money you can always get a job doing something else. I've talked to a few Pro Strongmen who get all bent out of shape in contests because of the events chosen or because they believe that someone else is getting a better "deal" than they are. They want to be one of the 1-3 guys making a whopping $25,000 before expenses each year.

Strange...they don't have college degrees or real jobs either.

B True

Last edited:
b fold the truth said:
Clark's acciden't wasn't the "serious" issue that he had to deal with. He was being treated for Heart Failure and had been for years. He was in Vanderbilt Hospital for quite a while.

As far as the money thing...

...if you are broke and need money you can always get a job doing something else. I've talked to a few Pro Strongmen who get all bent out of shape in contests because of the events chosen or because they believe that someone else is getting a better "deal" than they are. They want to be one of the 1-3 guys making a whopping $25,000 before expenses each year.

Strange...they don't have college degrees or real jobs either.

B True

damn didnt know that about anthony. i have searched the web for some info and never saw anything. thanks for the update.

hows the training going bro? we got the johnny perry memorial strong man/pling meet this jan 22 & 23rd near raleigh. wish you could be here.

pullinbig said:
there's a shot of him hittng 1005 in the gym that was posted on here some time back. had some big boys spotting. mendy is a stud no doubt. he'll hit it in a meet soon.
this?

pullinbig said:
damn didnt know that about anthony. i have searched the web for some info and never saw anything. thanks for the update.

hows the training going bro? we got the johnny perry memorial strong man/pling meet this jan 22 & 23rd near raleigh. wish you could be here.

It wasn't anywhere on the net...one of my best friends was a nurse of his at Vandy. There was some interesting stuff on the med charts, for sure. I hope that he is doing better. I met him once at a restaurant that I worked at. I waited on him and he was nothing but the nicest persons ever. Dinner was on me as well.

Training is going well. Been traveling a lot all over Europe a lot with the better half, just trying to make a gain or two here and there.

Wish I could be around for ANY contest in the US big man...and it would be all my pleasure to meet you.

B True

geoffe dolan gonna give us a hand putting it on. he is without a doubt one of the nicest guys i have ever met, a pleasure to talk with and be around. he is not all big headed about his accomplishments. very similar to johnny. i believe you said you knew geoff fairly well.

i think this SM is gonna be 4 events with a light weight and heavy weight division. 231 is the cut off. axle press, stones, deads for a 1rep max from the knees and tire flip for time i think.

ill try ot get some clips or stills posted here.

perhaps one day you make it back home and we can meet. we got some guys from ky coming down for the meet. i believe thats where you said you from.

Last edited:
Back