Got my Test Cyp prescription (finally). Needle size question.

JCJ

So, my doc decided to allow me to self-inject test cyp @ 100mg/wk to start with along with 250iu HCG 2x weekly. Great! So far so good. Doctor's office prepared the HCG injections for me (two months worth) and told me to freeze them and thaw one out in the fridge a day or so before I need it.

Went and picked up my test prescription today and then went to the pharmacy. The pharmacy didn't have any 100mg/ml vials of test cyp so I ended up with a 1ml vial of 200mg/ml (they still owe me another one..only one in stock). Then I got to talk to the pharmacist about syringes. My doc told me I could do subq or IM (my choice). The pharmacist flipped out when I suggested they give me smaller pins that would be good for subq injections. I was told that test-cyp has to be IM (which I know is crap) and all they would give me were 21ga 1" syringes. I was somewhat shocked at the 21ga being their first choice even for IM injections. Seems large...

All that said, I'm going to just skip the pharmacy and order elsewhere. I may end up having to use one of the 21ga pins this week due to timing, but I'm looking for something better that I can use subq. I've narrowed my choices down to the BD 27ga x 1/2" TB syringe or a ~29ga insulin syringe. The 27ga seems like a good compromise, but I've heard the two piece design can result in some small losses of test-cyp during the injection. The insulin syringe would definitely work well and I see a lot of others using those. I just know they take longer to draw and inject.

Am I missing anything in deciding between these two? Anything better I should be on the lookout for?

I'm just going to buy a box so I can ignore the pharmacist from now on...and move my prescription elsewhere next time.

I find that most guys prefer IM injections. You don't get the lumps of oil under your skin and you can inject larger volumes. But give subq a try and see if you like it.

21g is pretty big for an injection. I use 20g to draw my test into the syringe. Then I swap the needle out for a 25g.

Keep in mind that the smaller the guage, the harder it is to get the thick oil injected and the more pressure it creates which can cause scar tissue. I personally think 27g is about the lowest you can go. I have used 23g, 25g and 27g for injections and the truth is that the differences are pretty small when it comes to the discomfort you feel when it pierces the skin. 23g is the biggest I would consider going though.

P.S. Why didn't you just get a script for the hCG too so you can keep the vial at home?

Last edited:
I find that most guys prefer IM injections. You don't get the lumps of oil under your skin and you can inject larger volumes. But give subq a try and see if you like it.

21g is pretty big for an injection. I use that size to draw my test into the syringe. Then I swap the needle out for a 25g.

Keep in mind that the smaller the guage, the harder it is to get the thick oil injected and the more pressure it creates which can cause scar tissue. I personally think 27g is about the lowest you can go. I have used 23g, 25g and 27g for injections and the truth is that the differences are pretty small when it comes to the discomfort you feel when it pierces the skin. 23g is the biggest I would consider going though.

P.S. Why didn't you just get a script for the hCG too so you can keep the vial at home?

I told my doctor I'd give subq a "shot" and see if I liked it, but she left it up to me based on what I find to be personal preference. So, we'll see how that goes. As far as the HCG is concerned, it was a matter of cost. Paying for the pre-filled syringes of HCG at the doctor's office worked out cheaper than filling a script for HCG at my pharmacy. I don't know why, but that's how it worked out. I was given the choice and (perhaps erroneously) opted to just do the pre-filled syringes and pocket the savings.

21g is probably gonna hurt like a mofo.

Either of the other options you're considering would be fine. The lost testosterone that some experience with 2 piece design can easily be mitigated by drawing some extra air and inverting the needle so the air bubble follows the test into your muscle/fat. The bubble will push all of the test out.

Last edited:
I disagree about scar tissue and small needles. You can push the plunger as hard as possible on a full 29g and it will only drip out. Do that with a 25g or larger and it can start to squirt a little.

But regardless - 21 is huge. Most seem to use 25 to 31. I use 29g and go sub q. Current spot is my butt, above the meat of it, into what some call the pad of fat on top. Basically an inch or two below where a belt would rest.

Jim

I made the mistake of jabbing myself with a 21G for 3 weeks. It sucked. Guy at the gym laughed crazily at me when I told him what I was doing. Switched to 25G and never looked back.

I use 23g 1" and they work fine for me in the Quads. Don't hurt a bit and draws from the bottle reasonably fast.

Now, to end this story..

I went back to the pharmacy today and talked to a different pharmacist. He handed me 4 of the 27g x 1/2" TB syringes (for free) and some 18g draw needles and sent me out the door. Just did my first injection. Worked out fine and completely painless.

So I'm probably going to order a few different pins and see what I end up liking to use. No complaints about the ones I was given today though.

Now, to end this story..

I went back to the pharmacy today and talked to a different pharmacist. He handed me 4 of the 27g x 1/2" TB syringes (for free) and some 18g draw needles and sent me out the door. Just did my first injection. Worked out fine and completely painless.

So I'm probably going to order a few different pins and see what I end up liking to use. No complaints about the ones I was given today though.

On the larger gauge for drawing... 18 is kind of big. I found that it started to leave pretty big holes in the stopper. I find that 20g works better. Give it a try and see what you think.

On the larger gauge for drawing... 18 is kind of big. I found that it started to leave pretty big holes in the stopper. I find that 20g works better. Give it a try and see what you think.

I thought about that when I noticed how large 18g was. Thus far I've just been given two of the small 1ml 200mg/ml vials that are good for two doses each. Probably a non-issue. I'll ask for 20g next time I go in though. Thanks for the tip!

I thought about that when I noticed how large 18g was. Thus far I've just been given two of the small 1ml 200mg/ml vials that are good for two doses each. Probably a non-issue. I'll ask for 20g next time I go in though. Thanks for the tip!

Get the 10ml vials. Cheaper and more convenient. Have your doc re-write the script.

My script was for 10ml of 100mg/ml dosed at 1ml/week. Pharmacy didn't have any and said there was a "shortage." They called the doc and then filled it with the 200mg/ml @ 0.5ml/wk in 1ml vials. They said they'd try to get the 10ml vials in for next time though. I know it was $45 for the two 1ml vials.

I called the local CVS (the other local pharmacy in town...small towns..ugh!) and they were out as well.

My script was for 10ml of 100mg/ml dosed at 1ml/week. Pharmacy didn't have any and said there was a "shortage." They called the doc and then filled it with the 200mg/ml @ 0.5ml/wk in 1ml vials. They said they'd try to get the 10ml vials in for next time though. I know it was $45 for the two 1ml vials.

I called the local CVS (the other local pharmacy in town...small towns..ugh!) and they were out as well.

I last paid $45 for a 10ml vial at Walgreen's. They have coupons on GoodRX.com.

Back