Grapefruit absorption with oral steroid pills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmanX3

It is clinically proven that consuming grapefruit with pills such as ibuprofen and multi-vitamins can increase the absorption within the blood up to 40%.

That being said, this makes these pills more powerful than they normally are. Although most of these pills have different chemical compounds than an androgenic drug would, it got me thinking is an oral steroid such as Anavar may possibly be more potent if I use grapefruit to consume with any type of oral steroid?

After browsing on this site, I found an older post dating back a few years in which someone did extensive research on this. Here's the link: steroidology.com/forum/pro-hormone-natural-steroids-steroid-alternatives/587247-grapefruit-juice-oral-steroids.html

Thank you Needtogetaas for the research!

Dont believe everything you read. Think about it son virtually every med known would have a GFJ warning as opposed to the select few that do. Normally absorbed oral aas taken with grape fruit juice will not result in clinically significant (or real world significant) increases in circulating blood levels. Now If the drug were to bypass normal digestion and be absorbed lower in the digestive tract there may be some increase, but otherwise no. So again do not believe everything you read.
BTW even to get this effect that has been proposed at various times by some proponents one would have to consume over a gallon of grape fruit juice per day and everything I typed above still stands man.

After browsing on this site, I found an older post dating back a few years in which someone did extensive research on this. Here's the link: steroidology.com/forum/pro-hormone-natural-steroids-steroid-alternatives/587247-grapefruit-juice-oral-steroids.html

Thank you Needtogetaas for the research!

Awesome info, mate! Thank you for posting this. This is the first time I have heard of this medicinal effect by grapefruit juice. Really interesting info! :D

With advances in supplements and science they have pinpointed what is in grapefruit juice that does this and now the extract is called "Naringin". So No one really has to drink gallons of grapefruit juice anymore if they dont want to. Unless of course you really like the taste of grapefruit juice that is.

I saw this thread and was about to reply with a link to one of my old threads but it was nice to see you doing your own research and beet me to it lol.

Dont believe everything you read. Think about it son virtually every med known would have a GFJ warning as opposed to the select few that do. Normally absorbed oral aas taken with grape fruit juice will not result in clinically significant (or real world significant) increases in circulating blood levels. Now If the drug were to bypass normal digestion and be absorbed lower in the digestive tract there may be some increase, but otherwise no. So again do not believe everything you read.
BTW even to get this effect that has been proposed at various times by some proponents one would have to consume over a gallon of grape fruit juice per day and everything I typed above still stands man.

I don't believe everything I read such as blogs that have no scholarly studies to back up the evidence. However, the person who broke down this info down explained the information from NCBl which is a well known scholarly database. It also makes sense the way he said it because if certain enzymes such as CYP3A4 could possibly have pathways that enhance absorption.

And I have a thought: drugs such as ibuprofen or advil have to go through the same digestion as an aas drug would for breaking down the compounds. Yet, you're saying the digestive tract wouldn't allow this EVEN THOUGH non-prescription drugs are similarly broken down in the digestive tract as well with an increase in absorption of grapefruit. I believe you can't just exclude AAS drugs when we have over-the-counter drugs that benefit from grapefruit.

With advances in supplements and science they have pinpointed what is in grapefruit juice that does this and now the extract is called "Naringin". So No one really has to drink gallons of grapefruit juice anymore if they dont want to. Unless of course you really like the taste of grapefruit juice that is.

I saw this thread and was about to reply with a link to one of my old threads but it was nice to see you doing your own research and beet me to it lol.

Exactly that's why I disagree with JimiThing's point about needing over a gallon of grapefruit to see affects. I learned about naringin in my college nutrition class lol - finally putting that class to good use

I don't believe everything I read such as blogs that have no scholarly studies to back up the evidence. However, the person who broke down this info down explained the information from NCBl which is a well known scholarly database. It also makes sense the way he said it because if certain enzymes such as CYP3A4 could possibly have pathways that enhance absorption.

And I have a thought: drugs such as ibuprofen or advil have to go through the same digestion as an aas drug would for breaking down the compounds. Yet, you're saying the digestive tract wouldn't allow this EVEN THOUGH non-prescription drugs are similarly broken down in the digestive tract as well with an increase in absorption of grapefruit. I believe you can't just exclude AAS drugs when we have over-the-counter drugs that benefit from grapefruit.

Believe what you wish. Been down this road, it doesnt work, have proven it doesnt work. Naringen, bergamottin, quercetin, list all the flavanoids and/or furocoumarins you want, it doesnt work with aas. Cyp3a or 34a, cyp213, blah blah blah it all sounds good but zero clinical significance with oral aas. Only possible exception is Andriol and have fun getting anything out of that.

Believe what you wish. Been down this road, it doesnt work, have proven it doesnt work. Naringen, bergamottin, quercetin, list all the flavanoids and/or furocoumarins you want, it doesnt work with aas. Cyp3a or 34a, cyp213, blah blah blah it all sounds good but zero clinical significance with oral aas. Only possible exception is Andriol and have fun getting anything out of that.

Well bud, I'm actually going to try an experiment. I started a test-e cycle as of last week and I'm adding oxandrolone as of today. I'm gonna do low doses of anavar the first few days while consuming a cup of grapefruit and see how I'm feeling or see if I experiment any sides. It may be hard to tell if the grapefruit will be effective, but I guess we'll see! I'll be sure to update everyone on here how everything is going

Well bud, I'm actually going to try an experiment. I started a test-e cycle as of last week and I'm adding oxandrolone as of today. I'm gonna do low doses of anavar the first few days while consuming a cup of grapefruit and see how I'm feeling or see if I experiment any sides. It may be hard to tell if the grapefruit will be effective, but I guess we'll see! I'll be sure to update everyone on here how everything is going

I do not think you will notice anything from a few weeks of anavar with or without the juice. I haven't used var, but its what seems to be the case..

I do not think you will notice anything from a few weeks of anavar with or without the juice. I haven't used var, but its what seems to be the case..

Yeah I was thinking more like 3 or 4 weeks, but ideally it will probably be longer. Maybe by the 7th week I'll be able to notice whether or not grapefruit will be effective.

Yeah , we can play charades all day if you want "bud"or I can just say who you really are.
Or you could just drop your silly experiment/ dog and pony show now. Your call.
Of course that would require a shred of decency and ethics on your part so I dont expect that to occur.
Either way no BS is gonna fly past and what I said is 100% true.

Last edited:
Yeah , we can play charades all day if you want "bud"or I can just say who you really are.
Or you could just drop your silly experiment/ dog and pony show now. Your call.
Of course that would require a shred of decency and ethics on your part so I dont expect that to occur.
Either way no BS is gonna fly past and what I said is 100% true.

Lol what? Okay man I don't why you brought "morale ethics" into this, but okay man I don't need your input.

You are rather delusional. Studies show this is true, but your ego is getting in the way judging by how you must be right about everything. Desperate times?

Just to add to jimithings post, this experiment would only work if you had bloodwork to see exactly what, if any, effect the grapefruit had.

Going by how you "feel" won't show anything - more than likely you'll feel like its working because thats what you WANT to feel aka placebo effect.

Lol what? Okay man I don't why you brought "morale ethics" into this, but okay man I don't need your input.

You are rather delusional. Studies show this is true, but your ego is getting in the way judging by how you must be right about everything. Desperate times?

just stop.

Just to add to jimithings post, this experiment would only work if you had bloodwork to see exactly what, if any, effect the grapefruit had.

Going by how you "feel" won't show anything - more than likely you'll feel like its working because thats what you WANT to feel aka placebo effect.

Very true. Ehh I mean I've taken test-e and anavar before so I know how my body reacts to each drug. But you are definitely right, I would only go on what I feel.

just stop.

Nah, I'm calling you out.

You brought up personal thoughts and morale ethics which has nothing to do what we're talking about. Then you proceed to say "we can play charades all day if you want "bud"or I can just say who you really are." (LOL who am I then? It's rather pathetic that you are blowing this out of proportion.)

So please, bud, if you seriously don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all - oh and cut the charade BS

Nah, I'm calling you out.

You brought up personal thoughts and morale ethics which has nothing to do what we're talking about. Then you proceed to say "we can play charades all day if you want "bud"or I can just say who you really are." (LOL who am I then? It's rather pathetic that you are blowing this out of proportion.)

So please, bud, if you seriously don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all - oh and cut the charade BS

Calling me out? LOL... Why am I not surprised. Have fun.
If the aas is not delivered lymphatically it will have no impact or significance what so ever. That is the truth for those to wish to believe it.
Enjoy the game...
Start a log if you wish. but not in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back