HOT TOPIC: GSP vs Silva

Eze

GSP moving to MW .. why? He still has to beat Serra, then probably Fitch, and throw in a rematch with Kos in there. If he can take those 3 fights and win decisively, then maybe a jump to MW is needed. There are some challenges in the WW division that GSP needs to take care of well before he jumps to a new class.

Lets not forget that GSP also gives up a 4" height advantage to Silva as well. Not something you want when you go up against a guy that can strike as hard and accurate as Silva.

BTW, I am a huge GSP fan so I am not bashing him. Just my opinion.

Everyone is talking about Silva untouchable at 185lbs. How much sense does it make for his biggest challenge to come from the 170 division? If they want to throw competition at Silva have a smaller 205 fighter cut down to 185lbs or pressure Silva to fight at 205lbs. At 205lbs there is LOTS of competition, unlike Middle Weight.

Great point! I think GSP may be counting his eggs b4 they hatch. It's probably because no one (in the UFC) has ever held two belts simultaneously in two different weight divisions.. He's trying to make history but hasn't even fought Serra yet.
I'm a Silva fan but feel he might get his head handed to him at 205.

I dont believe size height or weight will have anything to with the outcome look at the Coture Vs Silvia fight. Coture was a damn sight smaller but kicked the maniacs ass, it will all depend on GSP having the same drive he had when he beat Huges for the belt. If he shows up with that Kind of focus I see him taking the big W.

Drako said:
I dont believe size height or weight will have anything to with the outcome look at the Coture Vs Silvia fight. Coture was a damn sight smaller but kicked the maniacs ass, it will all depend on GSP having the same drive he had when he beat Huges for the belt. If he shows up with that Kind of focus I see him taking the big W.

Tim is good on his feet. Randy knew that if he took him down he can work him on the ground. And yes, he did smoke Tim with some nice punches, but if this fight spent more time on the feet Randy would not have won. Just look at the Sylvia vs. Nog fight. On the feet Sylvia is sick. On the ground, he can defend himself, but he isn't going to win a fight on the ground.

Anderson Silva on the other hand has beat the shit out of guys on his feet. His punches are deadly accurate and his clinch and knees rearranged Franklin's face. So what do you do ....? Do you take Silva down to the ground? Sure, but now you are ground fighting with a BJJ black belt.

This has the potential to be a sick fight. But I think it makes more sense for Silva to jump up to LHW more so than GSP moving up to fight Silva at 185lbs.

Drako said:

I'm not arguing that (a focused GSP IS one of the best), I'm just saying if for example Silva were to fight Rampage Jackson tomorrow, Silva would get mauled!! Period.. I'm just sayin'
..and I'm a Silva fan. I love the guy and he's phenominal for the sport... One of the best ever.

Rampage would have alot of trouble with the spider if he kept it standing up, silva has to much speed and pin point punches, he also has great timing and really knows what range to fight in, he's light years ahead of rampage in the stand up//even on the ground rampage would have to watch for silvas triangle....I'd pick silva FTW

GSP would get tooled by silva, he'd have a better shot at LHW, he could probably out wrestle most at that wieght class.

GSP would get tooled by silva, he'd have a better shot at LHW, he could probably out wrestle most at that wieght class.

I don't think he would get tooled. GSP is a smart fighter and comes into a fight with a game plan. If he was to get matched with Silva I bet you see a game plan far different than he would use against Hughes, Kos, etc.

Unlike Leben and Franklin, I don't think GSP will stand and bang with Silva.

Back