How does a doctor prescribe you test cyp/HCG under insurance?

steve39x

I've been paying for my Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) out of pocket for the past year under the assumption that it wasn't covered by insurance. Recently, I've read some posts that say BCBS does cover it.

Now, my father is an MD and obviously knows a ton of other MD's who can prescribe, so it won't be an issue to find someone who is willing to prescribe me. The question is, how do they do it? How do they find a pharmacy that has test/HCG in stock? (I highly doubt places like CVS have injectables on site)

Really appreciate any input!

BCBS of IL definitely covers it. My doc just wrote "hypogonadism" on my diagnosis/treatment sheet, and prescribed T cyp @ 200mg E14D. I get mine from CVS by mail order. 10ml every 56 days. Enanthate now, because Cyp went out of stock. Costs me $20. No idea if they will cover Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) or not, since I'm not on it. Some companies will only cover Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) for fertility. They don't care about your nut size :D

That's awesome, I can't believe CVS has injectables, I figured that was only smaller pharm labs. Few questions for you if you don't mind:

How do you go fill your prescription? I'm guessing you drop it off at CVS and then they mail it to ya?

How come you only get 200mg every two weeks instead of one week? Is there some sort of prescription limit?

Do you know if your doc can rx you anastrazole as well?

Thanks!

I just started testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and my local food store pharmacy fills my rx. takes a couple of days while they check for generic which they never seem to have. Most docs prescribe 200mg every 2 weeks. My doc put a 2 vial limit then blood test so we can keep track. Anastrazole I doubt they will prescribe it for you. I'm pretty sure it is a cancer drug. There are places to get it if you need it.

BCBS-MN covers my medications and doctor consultations. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. All the lab tests too.

I get my T prescription filled at the local grocery store pharmacy. I got a 2000 mg vial from them that should last me 20 weeks at my current dosage. I had to wait one day for them to fill it because they were running low the day I stopped in to get my prescription filled. I also got a box of 100 needle for like $15 so I don't have to keep running in there.

I started my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) with an online clinic (not the past or current site sponsor) and after a few months it simply got to expensive out of pocket. The clinic required that I see a local doctor (that works with/for the clinic) for an intitial visit and subsequent yearly check ups. I decided to reach out to the local doctor to see if he'd treat me directly. To my suprise he agreed and after a referal from my PCP, I now receive all my scripts from him. Even better, everything is now routed through my BCBS insurance. I get my test, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) & Aromatase inhibitor (AI) from Walgreens but will be switching to Costco soon as they are even cheaper (I have an HSA so until our deductable is met, price matters). Local costco has Test C 200mg/ml - 10ml vials for $66 bucks.

On Androgel now from my doctor but he doesn't seem like he would be willing to do much more than that. I'm considering a clinic but cost is high and my insurance is willing to cover Androgel so may cover injections too.
Any thoughts on how to find a doctor that will prescribe testC without going from dr to dr? I'm in MI if anyone knows a good one here.

Just tell him that you are worried about getting the gel on your wife/girlfriend and kids. And that you have been reading lots of positive things about doing injections instead.

Awesome replies guys.

Do you think it would be a bad idea for my dad to directly prescribe me everything? I have all the labs to prove my condition, but I know how strict these drugs are regulated. If so, what type of doctor would be best to get the RX from....urologist? endo?

Awesome replies guys.

Do you think it would be a bad idea for my dad to directly prescribe me everything? I have all the labs to prove my condition, but I know how strict these drugs are regulated. If so, what type of doctor would be best to get the RX from....urologist? endo?

Your Dad would probably be a better judge of whether it would be ok or not as I would assume that he's familiar with the regulations.

I too have BSBS and I was diagnose with the same "hypogonadism" I am on the first claim awaiting to see if they cover it and credit me back for funds that I paid up front to DR. I got 10ml Vials of Test-C 200mg. with pins only draw back was I had to fork out $275.00 up front first to get it. so I am happy to see that other had some success with processing their claims to BCBS.

BCBS of IL definitely covers it. My doc just wrote "hypogonadism" on my diagnosis/treatment sheet, and prescribed T cyp @ 200mg E14D. I get mine from CVS by mail order. 10ml every 56 days. Enanthate now, because Cyp went out of stock. Costs me $20. No idea if they will cover Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) or not, since I'm not on it. Some companies will only cover Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) for fertility. They don't care about your nut size :D

boaterkevin

my I ask how your doctor wrote the diagnosis on the BCBS claim form. if you could IM me and example I would greatly appreciate it... my doctor also has Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) treatments but there a bit pricey... anyhow thank you in advance.

I started my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) with an online clinic (not the past or current site sponsor) and after a few months it simply got to expensive out of pocket. The clinic required that I see a local doctor (that works with/for the clinic) for an intitial visit and subsequent yearly check ups. I decided to reach out to the local doctor to see if he'd treat me directly. To my suprise he agreed and after a referal from my PCP, I now receive all my scripts from him. Even better, everything is now routed through my BCBS insurance. I get my test, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) & Aromatase inhibitor (AI) from Walgreens but will be switching to Costco soon as they are even cheaper (I have an HSA so until our deductable is met, price matters). Local costco has Test C 200mg/ml - 10ml vials for $66 bucks.

Awesome replies guys.

My script is from my family practice doctor, so I doubt it matters as long as they don't have a "flag" from the DEA for prescribing silly amounts of controlled substances. You would be surprised at what kinds of drugs chain pharmacies keep in stock, although Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is likely a pain in the arse due to all the 'clinics' prescribing it to lose weight. I've been fighting with my insurance for a long time to get my test cyp covered (Aetna), but if they don't - I'll likely move my prescription to Costco as I keep reading how much cheaper they are than CVS/Walgreens/Walmart.

My script is from my family practice doctor, so I doubt it matters as long as they don't have a "flag" from the DEA for prescribing silly amounts of controlled substances. You would be surprised at what kinds of drugs chain pharmacies keep in stock, although Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is likely a pain in the arse due to all the 'clinics' prescribing it to lose weight. I've been fighting with my insurance for a long time to get my test cyp covered (Aetna), but if they don't - I'll likely move my prescription to Costco as I keep reading how much cheaper they are than CVS/Walgreens/Walmart.

I been getting my Script of Test-E 200 from CVS caremark for $15 usd. for 2 x 5 ml vials my Arimex cost me $30 usd. i think that is prices just right... pins cost me $1.78 usd. if your getting it cheaper that at COSTCO I will have to look in to that.

this stuff isnt hard to get if you have a legal script. Walmart has it, everybody does. Doc gives you a script like anything else you run it to the pharm, and they give it to you and your insurance covers it or they dont.

I don't have BCBS but have HMA insurance. Initially I had a hard time getting them to cover the HCG because it is considered a fertility treatment (which aren't covered). My doc had been using a diagnosis of hypogondism but changed it to Secondary Hypogonadism and Hypopituitarism and now they are covering both Dep-Test and Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG). Since I was secondary hypogonadism (balls worked just not LH from pituitary), I wanted to stay on HCG to keep my balls functioning and my fertility up. If you want to be on HCG, just tell the doc that you want to keep your sperm count up.

As far as getting it, most pharmacies can get Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG). A few have problems getting the generic (way cheaper) sometime, but usually it's not an issue.

It would be cheaper to try and go to a Mens health physician. HCG will not be covered and it is so expensive if you get a scirpt for it. The testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) docs usually get contracts from companies that get the prices down when they purchase so many bottles at a time. I know this because of my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) doc talks about it with me from time to time. He gets the HCG for a 1/3 the price of what a pharmacy charges for it. Hope this helps

Back