How many Ml can a .45 syringe filter, filter before it is cashed?

Matthew121

I am banned!
I am going to be making a couple hundred ml's.
I had read you can get atleast 100ml's out of 1 filter.
What are your guys thoughts?

100 max, I usually have 2 per 100ml incase the other takes a shit. I've had them clog, sides blow out etc so having extra is important. But I hate syringe filters and would use a bottle top filter for 50ml if I had to.

Yea, I would rather use a bottle top and vacuum.
My biggest concern doing that is keeping the receiver cup sterile.
I just don't trust myself that way. I mean the vacuum filters are just as cheap as buying a handful of syringe filters.
I do have a question, how many uses do you get out of the filter on a stand alone unit?
Does it come with more than 1 filter? *** has a nice selection. But thisll be my first time so I just wanted to be safe and transfer directly into a sterile pre sealed vial with a syringe filter.

Each bottle top is single use only. The nice thing about it is being able to build up vaccuum and leave it alone. I've said before that I can do close to 500ml in an hour.

If your doing small batches or just like syringe filters they are great, I just hate sitting there for hours lol. But then again I used .2 which is so damn slow.

Keeping things sterile is real easy. Once the media bottle is sterile you can just put the top on and be fine. If you ever make the jump I can explain how I like to sterilize/keep sterile and lay it out.

Yeah you definately need at least 2 for 100 mls. Me personally, I'd get 4-5 at least. Things can always happen, and even if you get all filtered with 1-2 i'm sure you'll use the 2-3 extra sometime in the near future. Alot of people talk about these little syringe filters like they're a piece of cake to use, and u can filter 50mls in just a jiffy. Ha!! I don't care if it's a pvdf or a nylon and whether it's a .22 or a .45, whatman, millipore, nalgene, it doesn't matter. I've never seen one of these things that filter anything at a rate you will expect it to in the beginning. It's super slow. A caulk gun does make it much easier, but you have to be really careful and patient. They're alot easier to explode using a caulk gun than it is using your hand, but to me using my hand isn't an option. After you try it, i'm sure you'll understand what i'm talking about. It will literally take you 3-4 hours minimum to filter this 100ml your going to filter though. So be very patient and don't expect to just get it done in an hour. Good luck.

Each bottle top is single use only. The nice thing about it is being able to build up vaccuum and leave it alone. I've said before that I can do close to 500ml in an hour.

If your doing small batches or just like syringe filters they are great, I just hate sitting there for hours lol. But then again I used .2 which is so damn slow.

Keeping things sterile is real easy. Once the media bottle is sterile you can just put the top on and be fine. If you ever make the jump I can explain how I like to sterilize/keep sterile and lay it out.

Do you always use a glass receiver on the bottom part of your unit, instead of plastic, like the complete filter units? Have you had any issues with the filter dissolving when using e.o. or b.b.?

Ok, good to know guys. I was planning to pick up a dozen syringe filters, but the biggest cc syringe I can get is 20cc, So I am already prepared to be sitting here for awhile transferring it. lol

So do you just have to buy a whole new filter unit everytime you brew? I assume the filter is replaceable, where do get more of the bottle top filters?

Could you pm what you do to keep the receiver cup sterile and what product I would need to do it. I am trying to be somewhat cost efficient, so I am curious how much it will cost me. It would be easiest if I could do 200ml at once, can those bottle top filters handle that much with 1 filter?

thanks for all the help guys.

Do you always use a glass receiver on the bottom part of your unit, instead of plastic, like the complete filter units? Have you had any issues with the filter dissolving when using e.o. or b.b.?

Glass media bottle for sure. Plastic ones tend to crack on some people. Never tried it though, went straight to the glass just because of what I read. I don't mess with EO but Jstarks was talking a few days ago and he uses up to 40% EO with nalgene bottle tops with no problem. Don't have time to find the thread right now

I am all for it, Can someone please tell me where, or how to buy the replacement filter for the bottle top, and how to sterilize the receiver flask for the second batch?!

I am planning on going through "Get P#@$%@"
They only sell the filter unit itself, I cant seem to find a replacement filter.

Liftinghard500: Yes you need a glass media bottle. The plastic bottle will(not might) start cracking and sucking in air. They can barely handle any vaccuum. With glass I can go to 17-19psi(not sure what that is in vaccuum) and filter a large batch very quickly.

You can pick them up for like $6 for a 500ml bottle so there's no reason not to avoid the trouble.

Matthew121: When I sterilize my vials/media bottles I fill the sink with hot soapy anti bacterial soap and wash out the bottle. Rinse with hot water to get all the soap out, then I use 90% iso alcohol and rinse the inside and out with it. Let dry and put in the oven at 250f-300f for 30 min.

Thats it, when done just keep a top on it. I usually put in a clean plastic zip lok bag when storing. As long as the top stays on it'll stay sterile.

The bottle tops are single use only, they're cheap so it's no big deal and saves the hassle of 4 hour filtering and sore thumbs. Just set the pressure and check on it here and there when adding more warm oil. They sale the units without the bottom receiver and thats usually what I buy but either will work, your just paying extra for a bottle you can't use. You can use it to store oils though I guess.

Last edited:
As far as EO, I've ran a 200ml batch at 40% eo and didn't have a problem. Thats not to say that larger batches won't though. Can't say forsure as I rarely go that high.

I've heard 20% to keep from melting filter elements, but really there's no reason to go any higher than when using eo for standard mg gear.

Ive got 10 whatman's on order. they are only a few bucks more than the titan's.
If they are that much better, its worth it to me.

Ok, good to know guys. I was planning to pick up a dozen syringe filters, but the biggest cc syringe I can get is 20cc, So I am already prepared to be sitting here for awhile transferring it. lol

So do you just have to buy a whole new filter unit everytime you brew? I assume the filter is replaceable, where do get more of the bottle top filters?

Could you pm what you do to keep the receiver cup sterile and what product I would need to do it. I am trying to be somewhat cost efficient, so I am curious how much it will cost me. It would be easiest if I could do 200ml at once, can those bottle top filters handle that much with 1 filter?

thanks for all the help guys.

Send me a PM and i'll give you a good, cheap place to get everything you'll ever need.

Chris, do you always just buy the specific bottle top type like whatman's zap cap for example, or do you just buy the complete filter unit and toss out the plastic receiver on the bottom? I was wondering if these complete units were still sized on the the threads like the bottle tops are. 33, 45mm?? I prefer nylon over pvdf or glass microfiber. I've used the glass microfiber filter before, that wasn't just a gmf prefilter like normally, and the flow rate is a little quicker than nylon, but durability is a super low.

I had just stayed with the autovials I use because i can't put up with the screw on filters and had read tons of stories about ppl wasting 100's of mls at a time. Everyone talks about them cracking, and they don't specify whether it's just their plastic receiver on the bottom or the actual filter part in the middle that screws on the receiver. I'm glad to get this info. I'll prob. go ahead and try a few out next big batch I do. I guess i'll either just get 2 or 3 zapcaps or the nylon nalgenes, a mityvac hand pump setup w/ the guage at harbor freight, and 2 or 3 250 or 500 ml glass media bottles.

1 more thing. The zapcap's say they can accept any size media bottle from 33mm upto 45mm. Have u personally tried them, and found this to be true? It's kinda hard to believe they can make threads on something that has to be air and liquid tight that will work for a 12mm range. Just skeptical.

The Zap caps work by suction so a 33mm or 45mm neck media bottle will work. I usually buy just the bottle tops only unless they're out then i'll go with the complete unit. Once you have the glass media bottle you won't have to worry about any problems and the filter element will not crack.

I like millipores over nalgene imo. I tried nalgene for the first time and they are so damn slow. I don't understand why there's a few that don't like millipores but i'll continue to use them. Zap caps are nice but I think they only go to 500ml.

You'll be happy and won't look back once you go bottle top. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions liftenhard.

Back