How much does a smith machine bar weigh?

cmfns

I've been lifting alone so I'm using the smith on heavy days. I've never used one before but the bar feels like less than 45lbs. Does anyone know the exact weight these things are?

Ive heard 25,but dont hold me to that.Someone was talking about it one day at the gym and thats what he said ,but not 100%

I did a little research myself and came up with quite a few people saying it depends on the brand. Anywhere from 5lbs to 45lbs. I need to find out what machine I'm using. Feels like 15-25lbs. Thanks

Quote- "BAR WEIGHT

The weight on the bar of the smith machine varies from make and model. If the bar on the machine is counter-balanced then the bar can weigh anywhere from 10lbs upwards, some even weighing in as light as 5lbs unweighted. You'll now if it's counter balanced by having a look to see if it's using a belt or cable system, it should also be lighter than a free weight bar.

For machines that don't use counter-balance, the weight of the bar is the same as a standard bar, around 45lbs. If that's the case then more than likely there's an extra weight of around 10lbs to 20lbs for the tracking mechanism which holds it onto the rails.

If you're still not sure about the weight of the bar you can have a look around the machine to see if the weight is printed on it, some have a label around the weight racks on the side. If that fails ask a staff member or check the make and model online.

If you're keeping a log and you're unsure of how heavy the bar is, then just write down the amount of weight you're putting onto the bar." -some dude

smith machine bars are usually light due to the wires and all that crap it is attached too. i once tried squatting on a smith machine and i have to pull the bar down with me or it will just float there. there are tons of smith machines and every is diff from the other. but I am sure it is not 45

I have a "Phys-X" brand and the bar weighs 25 lbs. I also wandered myself, so I just got my scale and put it on the bench and let the bar set on it.

Yeah, I believe that it's in the range of 10-15 lbs, depending on the incline angle, manufacturer, etc. Usually, when I lift on the SM, I don't count the bar, just b/c I feel that it is more of a challenge and better on me mentally. If I'm squatting 260, I'm really squatting 270, which I can acknowledge later. But, while lifting, it seems that I can usually lift more if I don't think about the additional bar weight, if that makes sense...

The good ones have counterweights that are adjustable so there no way to really tell for sure. Just count the plates.

I never count the weight of the bars no matter what I use. If it's smith machine, free weight, ect.... I don't care.

I count the weight that I put on the bar and make sure I use the same bar/smith each time I workout.

My "Trainer" bud at my gym told me to subtract 15 lbs.
The bar looks exactly like a regular 45lb bar but since it's supported by the cables and all it's gotta be off.
Probably safest to just count the plates.
So I wasn't squatting 365 tonight, it was 320.
That sucks ass!!! I like the first # better.

Sometimes before I load the plates on I gently toss the bar into the air and let it float back down into my palms ;-)

Back