How much does a syringe filter slow things down?

GymLift

I currently use a bottle top filter and then I must inject the oil into sealed vials because I don't have a crimper.

Would it make more sense for me to just use a syringe filter while injecting into the vials, skipping the bottle top filter? I don't know how much the syringe filter slows things down.

Slows it down a ton. Plus, the effort is rediculous compared to bottle tops. I'd filter, draw, and fill as you've been doing man. The only thing I do like about it, is it's filtered directly into the vial (that way it doesn't run into any more air than needed or other shit it get exposed to).

J

If you do use a syring filter, I'd recomment the caulk gun set up. That helps a ton when using syringe filters.

If you cannot come up with the caulk gun, I'd use 3-5cc syringes. They create more psi on the filter...just be careful not to damage them.

J

Anything smaller than a 22g needle will in itself slow the filtering. Anything equal to or bigger than a 22g will allow max flowrate through the system from my observation. I see your dilemma, the final step is pretty much like syringe filtering anyways...so why use the bottle top.

Solution - buy a crimper and pour the solution into the vials.

JC3 said:
If you do use a syring filter, I'd recomment the caulk gun set up. That helps a ton when using syringe filters.
A couple of months ago I made up a big batch of test enan and was filling up a good few 50mL vials. Damn that was a bitch. After a few of those I said, "fuck this" and I got out a caulk gun. Unfortunately, my 50mL syringes+plungers don't fit into the caulk gun when they have 50mL in them. I had to manually press it until there was about 30mL left and then it would fit into the caulk gun.

I think I was up until like 3am that morning.

mranak said:
A couple of months ago I made up a big batch of test enan and was filling up a good few 50mL vials. Damn that was a bitch. After a few of those I said, "fuck this" and I got out a caulk gun. Unfortunately, my 50mL syringes+plungers don't fit into the caulk gun when they have 50mL in them. I had to manually press it until there was about 30mL left and then it would fit into the caulk gun.

I think I was up until like 3am that morning.

Should have been shooting about 20ml each, would have probabaly fit and left you enough air. Easy to say now though. I've pressed my thumbs into oblivion using 10cc syringes over and over and over........

I couldn't imagine pushing a 50cc by hand for that length of time. I still use the syringe and caulk gun a lot though. Just like that link said, but I also add a little rubber band set up so I can leave it in a vice pointing down with the vial rubber banded to the vial. Just come and go here and there and give it a few clicks.

• Tried to use a syringe filter tonight
  • The oil was warm
  • Drip, drip
  • Fuck that
  • Bottle top: setup: 1 min
  • Come back 15 mins later: done
  • Sealed the media bottle .... I'm buying a fucking crimper

Crap, I just realized that I order .45 filters off eBay and what I received is PVDF .20 (or .22...I'm not going to go look again).

Crap, I can't believe that I didn't notice that I received difference syringe filters than I ordered until just now, just hours after opening up the package after having had it for a month.

The filters that I was supposed to get were PTFE, which concerned me. But I received PVDF. PVDF is what many of us in this field use, right?

Maybe this mixup is for the better.

mranak said:
The filters that I was supposed to get were PTFE, which concerned me. But I received PVDF. PVDF is what many of us in this field use, right?

Maybe this mixup is for the better.

pvdf works.

mranak said:
  • Tried to use a syringe filter tonight
  • The oil was warm
  • Drip, drip
  • Fuck that
  • Bottle top: setup: 1 min
  • Come back 15 mins later: done
  • Sealed the media bottle .... I'm buying a fucking crimper

Crap, I just realized that I order .45 filters off eBay and what I received is PVDF .20 (or .22...I'm not going to go look again).

Crimper for the win...lol.

So I thought that the syringe filter might have been slow because I had a werid kind: PTFE. But I had PVDF after all.

PVDF .2µ sure as hell isn't the equivalent resistance to a 22G pin, however.

Back