How Should I Be Doing My Sets?

deathmetalanimal

Lowly MetalHead
when i workout i do my first set by doing every exercise in my routine once, then i take a rest. for my second set i do the whole routine over again.

should i be doing my first and second set for each exercise back to back?

basically here's how i do my routine:

1st set:

Tricep Press
Abs
DB Tricep Ext
Abs
Bench Dips
Abs

Rest

2nd set:

Tricep Press
Abs
DB Tricep Ext
Abs
Bench Dips
Abs

should i do it more like this?

Tricep Press: 1st set
1min Rest
Tricep Press: 2nd Set

DB Tricep Ext: 1st Set
1min Rest
DB Tricep Ext: 2nd Set

Bench Dips: 1st Set
1min Rest
Bench Dips: 2nd Set

Ok, how many days a week you box and how long are the sessions? are there any plyometric training incorporated w\the boxing?

mister69 said:
Ok, how many days a week you box and how long are the sessions? are there any plyometric training incorporated w\the boxing?

about 2 days a week. i'm not quite sure what plyometrics are. in the classes we do pushups, situps, squats, skipping.

Check out some of the fixed format routines in the stickies or needsize's 5x5 for a great program. To me it makes no sense to spend a whole day on just triceps and abs. They should both be supplemental to other major bodypart......tris supplementing your bench and abs supplement your deadlift/squat. If you want to do a more traditional moderate volume routine, then I would do bodyparts in this order: chest, back, day off, sholders, legs, arms, day off. You can mix arms in with tris on chest day and bis on back day if you don't want them to have their own day. Pick a heavy compound movement and do it first. the reps and number of sets can be personal preference but I wouldnt do mroe than maybe 10 working sets at the most per day. After the heavy compound excercise pick a few excercises that would be closer to being considered isolation movements that would also work the bodypart being done that day, maybe or 3 depending on how many of each you want to do.

02gixxersix said:
Check out some of the fixed format routines in the stickies or needsize's 5x5 for a great program. To me it makes no sense to spend a whole day on just triceps and abs. They should both be supplemental to other major bodypart......tris supplementing your bench and abs supplement your deadlift/squat. If you want to do a more traditional moderate volume routine, then I would do bodyparts in this order: chest, back, day off, sholders, legs, arms, day off. You can mix arms in with tris on chest day and bis on back day if you don't want them to have their own day. Pick a heavy compound movement and do it first. the reps and number of sets can be personal preference but I wouldnt do mroe than maybe 10 working sets at the most per day. After the heavy compound excercise pick a few excercises that would be closer to being considered isolation movements that would also work the bodypart being done that day, maybe or 3 depending on how many of each you want to do.

chances are your doing too many sets for these muscles anyway. looks like your still a begginer somwhat...the stickies are great stepping stones. in facteven those who've been working out for awhile can benifit from some of the routines. I've been lifting for close to 8 years, tried the 5x5 and got great results.

Back