How to fight depression and anxiety

Mr P

Super Moderator
What's the best way to deal with depressiona and anxiety? Quickly and definitively. Whatever kicks them off, depression and anxiety both are maintained by styles of thinking that magnify the initial insult and alter the workings of the brain in such a way that the longer an episode exists, the less it takes to set off future episodes.

Anxiety and depression are probably two faces of the same coin. Surveys have long shown that 60 to 70 percent of people with major depression also have an anxiety disorder, while half of those suffering anxiety also have symptoms of clinical depression.

The stress response system is overactive in both disorders. Excess activity of the stress response system sends emotional centers of the brain into overdrive so that negative events make a disproportionate impact and hijack rational response systems. You literally can't think straight. You ruminate over and over about the difficulties and disappointments you encounter until that's all you can focus on.

Researchers believe that some people react with anxiety to stressful life events, seeing danger lurking ahead everywhere—in applying for a job, asking for a favor, asking for a date. And some go beyond anxiety to become depressed, a kind of shutdown in response to anticipated danger.

People who have either condition typically overestimate the risk in a situation and underestimate their own resources for coping. Sufferers avoid what they fear instead of developing the skills to handle the kinds of situations that make them uncomfortable. Often enough, a lack of social skills is at the root. Some types of anxiety—obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and social phobia—are particularly associated with depression.

The fact that anxiety usually precedes the development of depression presents a huge opportunity for the prevention of depression. Young people especially are not likely to outgrow anxiety on their own; they need to be taught specific mental skills.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) gets at response patterns central to both conditions. And the drugs most commonly used against depression have also been proved effective against an array of anxiety disorders.

Although medication and CBT are equally effective in reducing anxiety/depression, CBT is better at preventing return of the disorder. Patients like it better, too, because it allows them to feel responsible for their own success. What's more, the active coping that CBT encourages creates new brain circuits that circumvent the dysfunctional response pathways.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy teaches people to monitor the environment for the troubling emotional landmines that seem to set them off. That actually changes metabolic activity in the cortex, the thinking brain, to modulate mood states. It works from the top down. Drugs, by contrast, work from the bottom up, modulating neurotransmitters in the brainstem, which drive basic emotional behaviors.

Treatment with CBT averages 12 to 15 weeks, and patients can expect to see significant improvement by six weeks. Drug therapy is typically recommended for months, if not years.

Exercise is an important adjunct to any therapy. Exercise directly alters levels of neurohormones involved in circuits of emotion. It calms the hyperactivity of the nervous system and improves function of the brain's emotion-sensing network. It also improves the ability of the body to tolerate stress. What's more, it changes people's perception of themselves, providing a sense of personal mastery and positive self-regard. It also reduces negative thinking.

However, just telling a distressed person to exercise is futile, as depression destroys initiative. The best thing a loved one can do is to simply announce: "Let's go for a walk." Then accompany the person out the door.

I have been medically treated for anxiety and depression. I always had anxiety attacks but didnt know what they were. My wife and I had split up for a few months and it got worse. My Dr. put me on something for the depression(cant remember what it was called) and xanax for anxiety attacks. After 2 months of the anti-depressant and my wife and I got back together I no longer needed it. When I started on the xanax I was taking 3 pills a day and slowly worked my way off of them. I was on them for a yr, and Have been off for over a yr now and very rarely even have an anxiety attack. It was a combination of stress and unhappiness, and I personally got my shit together and dont need the meds anymore, Although a xanny bar sounds good on occasion:) I dropped form 195 to 165 in 5 weeks during our seperation, I pretty much didnt lift at all and ran about 6 miles a day to help keep my mind busy while eating maybe 500 calories a day and drinking 1000 calories in a brown bottle. So I see what it means to have no motivation to exersice while depressed, One of the only reasons I ran was cuz my wife worked out at the same gym and I could keep an eye on her for a couple hrs. It was a pretty low point in my life.

thanks to all of your reply,I too have had my share of depression and anxiety,for that I take wellbutrin, It not only helped me to stop smoking, but to control my anxiety leading to depression,waceyf Im glad u turn ur life around, a relationship could make u, or brake u,.

thanks to all of your reply,I too have had my share of depression and anxiety,for that I take wellbutrin, It not only helped me to stop smoking, but to control my anxiety leading to depression,waceyf Im glad u turn ur life around, a relationship could make u, or brake u,.

Yes it can. I've overcome some shit in my day, alcoholism, depression and drug addiction, I'm sure there are guys who've overcome worse but it still wasn't easy

nothing is easy, we have to learn from our mistakes and make the best out it, I too have had my share with alcohol and drugs,think,:thinking: at the end of your life u look back at everything u have done, its a book to read bro,I guess we all have one,.

hey jimbo, how r ya pal, can u tell me why is it a bitch?

im good brutha, it's like going thru withdrawl, varies between people, headaches, extreme anxiety, depression, fatigue, doctors try to ease people off by lowering the dose, some people are ok, some people get those side effects, when i miss a few doses i get edgy and headaches, nervous about coming off, but i don't want to have to take pills for life!

Honestly.....for serious depression I believe meds can do wonders. Of course exercise and diet help, as well as a strong support system but sometimes a person needs medication.

I'm a strong believer in using medication IF needed. I've seen it change peoples lives.

your right jimbo,''not to be on for life,see the Idea is to break the anxiety break whats making it happen, In other words be aware of your self,but yeah get off it,.

^^^Thats what I did, use the meds to get over the bridge then learned to deal with and prevent anxiety without it

Honestly.....for serious depression I believe meds can do wonders. Of course exercise and diet help, as well as a strong support system but sometimes a person needs medication.

I'm a strong believer in using medication IF needed. I've seen it change peoples lives.

your right miss muscle, it does work wonders for severe depression,

Stamped and co-signed! I was going crazy with depression leading to anxiety leading to panic attacks! I was basically locked in my room for 3 months! Was too scared to leave thinking I was going to have a panic attack! It's the worst thing I have EVER endured! And I've been in a coma! Depression/anxiety/panic-attacks can lead to one going insane! Funny thing (crazy how things work) is that I started taking meds, felt a bit better, went out and bought a bike, 3 days later, ended up in a coma for a month and did 3 years of recovering to now.. Now, I'm looking to be employed.

I can write a book for all the things I experienced! lol

Back