How to get accurate testosterone level results

Dre, do you remember how long it took for you to get your results back from PersonalLabs? It'll almost be a week since I got my blood work done and I still haven't received my results yet.

Dre, do you remember how long it took for you to get your results back from PersonalLabs? It'll almost be a week since I got my blood work done and I still haven't received my results yet.

I believe I took the blood panels on a Saturday and got the results back on Thursday or Friday the very next week. Privatemdlabs was quicker by a few day, their results came on Monday, but personal labs had to send my samples to North Carolina for the sensitive assay whereas privatemdlabs only sent the samples to New Jersey. Part of your delay could be that if you ran the basic ED or sensitive testosterone panel, the lab they must send it to is far away. I'd give it a couple more days and keep checking the site for updates. If not give them a call. Let me know how it goes since I had a positive experience with them.

There's a "sensitive testosterone" test?
I never knew that...
It measures the Total T in ones system?

DrDre187, or anyone really. Is it important to ultimately have all of your test levels and the female hormone panel before a cycle? Thanks.

DrDre187, or anyone really. Is it important to ultimately have all of your test levels and the female hormone panel before a cycle? Thanks.

Well, let's say you cycle and get a blood test 5 weeks after your PCT to make sure you're 100% recovered. If your LH/FSH are tip-top, but your total testosterone is in the gutter, wouldn't you want to know if the cycle did that and you haven't recovered yet, or if you had a pre-existing low testosterone level? I also think a lot of guys that think about cycling do so because they're not seeing the results in the gym they desire; this could very well be caused by having low testosterone (it's WAY more common than you think), so testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) may be an option to look into before heading off to a UGL for a cycle.

It's one of those, "the more you know, the better off you are" type deals. :)

Well, let's say you cycle and get a blood test 5 weeks after your PCT to make sure you're 100% recovered. If your LH/FSH are tip-top, but your total testosterone is in the gutter, wouldn't you want to know if the cycle did that and you haven't recovered yet, or if you had a pre-existing low testosterone level? I also think a lot of guys that think about cycling do so because they're not seeing the results in the gym they desire; this could very well be caused by having low testosterone (it's WAY more common than you think), so testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) may be an option to look into before heading off to a UGL for a cycle.

It's one of those, "the more you know, the better off you are" type deals. :)

Thanks for the reply halfwit. That sounds funny.... ANYWAY...

I completely see where you're coming from. I'm leaning towards I actually have low testosterone for my age. So, I did a blood test, today in fact, the basic erectile dysfunction test. I have not done the female hormone panel though. I guess I will do that before I start. I'll get my test results back in a few days for the test I did today.

Thanks for the reply halfwit. That sounds funny.... ANYWAY...

I completely see where you're coming from. I'm leaning towards I actually have low testosterone for my age. So, I did a blood test, today in fact, the basic erectile dysfunction test. I have not done the female hormone panel though. I guess I will do that before I start. I'll get my test results back in a few days for the test I did today.

I agree with Halfwit completely, they are important. I could give another 5 reasons but that one should be enough for anyone. You should see the results from the basic ED test in less than a week, took me 3business days but took another member a week or so. The female hormone panel does a metabolic panel, LH, FSH, liver enzyme, and estradiol test which the basic ED panel does not but that panel also gets you thyroid and a sensitive assay serum testosterone which would be better suited to you if you have low testosterone levels. Post up the results when you get them and any number of members are knowledgable enough to help you interpret them. :)

DreDay187,

I'm awaiting my test results for Persona Labs. I looked at the pictures you posted from your results. I see total testosterone levels, but I thought the Basic ED test was supposed to show free testosterone as well? Or, does that test just show the total level?

Also, can you point me to any materials that show what healthy Thyroid levels are, monocytes, or anything else you feel is pertinent to know? I've found references on test levels by age. It looks like your total testosterone was off the charts at over 2800, was that mid cycle or something? Would it be reasonable to want my total testosterone to be around 800+, for a 36 yo male who has been working out since I was 15. I'm very healthy in general and my bodyfat is around 9% currently. I'm guessing that my levels will come back lower than that, but I 800 seems like it would be a good level. I want some evidence thought before I go talk to any Docs though about any kid of hormone replacement. I just feel that as a really healthy person that my expectation for my testosterone levels should be above what an average 36 yo is. I don't want to just accept being at the bottom of a range that includes 80 year olds with type 2 diabetes.

DreDay187,

I'm awaiting my test results for Persona Labs. I looked at the pictures you posted from your results. I see total testosterone levels, but I thought the Basic ED test was supposed to show free testosterone as well? Or, does that test just show the total level?

Also, can you point me to any materials that show what healthy Thyroid levels are, monocytes, or anything else you feel is pertinent to know? I've found references on test levels by age. It looks like your total testosterone was off the charts at over 2800, was that mid cycle or something? Would it be reasonable to want my total testosterone to be around 800+, for a 36 yo male who has been working out since I was 15. I'm very healthy in general and my bodyfat is around 9% currently. I'm guessing that my levels will come back lower than that, but I 800 seems like it would be a good level. I want some evidence thought before I go talk to any Docs though about any kid of hormone replacement. I just feel that as a really healthy person that my expectation for my testosterone levels should be above what an average 36 yo is. I don't want to just accept being at the bottom of a range that includes 80 year olds with type 2 diabetes.

The Basic ED test from personal labs only shows total testosterone but is a highly sensitive assay.

AACE has given out new recommendations for TSH (thyroid hormone) and narrowed the range down considerably but many doctors haven't adopted the new range. I believe the new recommendations are .3-3.3 or .5-3.5 so the lower the number the better without going hypothyroidic. The higher the number less active your thyroid is. Correct values depend on the ranges given to you usually so it'd be easier if you posted up the results with ranges so we can take a look at everything. Values I'd be concerned with are total testosterone, estradiol, TSH, T4, hematocrit/RBC, LH, FSH, and WBC would tell you if you're getting sick or have an infection possibly even allergies etc.

Yes the 2800ng/dL test was about 10wks into the cycle. My baseline numbers are in one of those pics, I believe a 567ng/dL. For your age an 800ng/dL total testosterone value would be unlikely. I'd be extremely happy with those levels at 36yo, mine are as I said 567ng/dL. Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that with doctors. They're more than likely going to treat you for levels rather than symptoms. I'm not a testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patient but maybe they can chime in, usually the doctor is worried about the total test levels and if you're above minimum range you'll likely get denied testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Some doctors are more conservative. you have the right to see any doctor you wish, so if your doctor doesn't listen to you you can always switch or try our sponsor increasemyt and see what they think. We're jumping the gun here though bc we don't even know your results yet. They may come back fine. Lts wait till the panels come in and go from there.

The Basic ED test from personal labs only shows total testosterone but is a highly sensitive assay.

AACE has given out new recommendations for TSH (thyroid hormone) and narrowed the range down considerably but many doctors haven't adopted the new range. I believe the new recommendations are .3-3.3 or .5-3.5 so the lower the number the better without going hypothyroidic. The higher the number less active your thyroid is. Correct values depend on the ranges given to you usually so it'd be easier if you posted up the results with ranges so we can take a look at everything. Values I'd be concerned with are total testosterone, estradiol, TSH, T4, hematocrit/RBC, LH, FSH, and WBC would tell you if you're getting sick or have an infection possibly even allergies etc.

Yes the 2800ng/dL test was about 10wks into the cycle. My baseline numbers are in one of those pics, I believe a 567ng/dL. For your age an 800ng/dL total testosterone value would be unlikely. I'd be extremely happy with those levels at 36yo, mine are as I said 567ng/dL. Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that with doctors. They're more than likely going to treat you for levels rather than symptoms. I'm not a testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patient but maybe they can chime in, usually the doctor is worried about the total test levels and if you're above minimum range you'll likely get denied testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Some doctors are more conservative. you have the right to see any doctor you wish, so if your doctor doesn't listen to you you can always switch or try our sponsor increasemyt and see what they think. We're jumping the gun here though bc we don't even know your results yet. They may come back fine. Lts wait till the panels come in and go from there.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post up the results when I get them. Some of the items you posted up I'd have to bet the female hormone panel to get correct? Such as estradiol, TSH, LH, FSH, correct?

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post up the results when I get them. Some of the items you posted up I'd have to bet the female hormone panel to get correct? Such as estradiol, TSH, LH, FSH, correct?

Somewhat correct lol. The Basic ED panel will give you total test, TSh, TT4, FT4, and T3 uptake. If you want LH, FSH, estradiol, and a metabolic panel with liver enzyme values, a female hormone panel will give you those.

Somewhat correct lol. The Basic ED panel will give you total test, TSh, TT4, FT4, and T3 uptake. If you want LH, FSH, estradiol, and a metabolic panel with liver enzyme values, a female hormone panel will give you those.

DreDay187,

I received my results. My total test level is 548. Take a look at my T3Uptake it's 1 point higher than the scale at 40. I did a little research on this specific test and the meaning. From what I've read I'm to discount this test as not being accurate. From your knowledge of getting your blood work done, what does my Thyroid Panel tell you? I'm a little concerned as I've read thyroid levels can give an indication of high estrogen levels, not sure why it would be. If it helps at all in your analysis I'm 36.

View attachment 553667View attachment 553668

Last edited:
DreDay187,

I received my results. My total test level is 548. Take a look at my T3Uptake it's 1 point higher than the scale at 40. I did a little research on this specific test and the meaning. From what I've read I'm to discount this test as not being accurate. From your knowledge of getting your blood work done, what does my Thyroid Panel tell you? I'm a little concerned as I've read thyroid levels can give an indication of high estrogen levels, not sure why it would be.

View attachment 553667View attachment 553668

Just posting so you know I saw this. I'll have a closer look and get back to you when I finish work in an hour or so brother. :)

Just posting so you know I saw this. I'll have a closer look and get back to you when I finish work in an hour or so brother. :)

Thank you!

Edit - As a side note as I research thyroid levels this is an informative article on TSH. By the updated thyroid scale I have a hypothyroid. The range has been narrowed to .3 on the low end indicating hyperthyroid, and 3.0 on the high end indicating a hypothyroid. My current level is 3.69. I have taken many "fat burners" and other over the counter stimulants in my time as well as I continue to use caffeine today. Have I ruined my thyroid?

The other odd thing is from what I read my T4 and Free Thyroxine levels look just fine. It's the TSH level that is concerning. Supposedly the T3 uptake test is to not be considered from what I read.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/ss/normaltsh_4.htm

Last edited:
Back