How to get accurate testosterone level results

State laws for you either mean the person whose blood is drawn must pay for them, which doesn't happen with the links I provided since you pay a middle man (privatemdlabs), or that your doctor must order the labs. If you're in NJ you're bet bet is to drive to an out of state location i.e. Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut. You could also try some of the home tests where you take the blood or saliva sample yourself and mail it in for testing.

I prefer the saliva Test's as it test "Free" testosterone.
Total testosterone can be deceiving, as u do not kno how much is available/free and how much is bound - things like SHBG and others.

Thank you!

Edit - As a side note as I research thyroid levels this is an informative article on TSH. By the updated thyroid scale I have a hypothyroid. The range has been narrowed to .3 on the low end indicating hyperthyroid, and 3.0 on the high end indicating a hypothyroid. My current level is 3.69. I have taken many "fat burners" and other over the counter stimulants in my time as well as I continue to use caffeine today. Have I ruined my thyroid, or is there a way to rectify this without use of medication for the rest of my life?

Normal TSH: The "New" Normal Range

Yes I've seen the new updated ranges but as you can see on your panel, not everyone has adopted these new ranges. All the numbers on your panel besides the thyroid ones look pretty good. Yooure test is barely lower than mine and im 28. Your TSH value is cause for concern though and I would think about further tests or seeing a doctor. We're you fasted for this test?

On the new scale you are hypothyroidic and if using the old scale you could still be considered sub-clinical hypothyroidic. You're correct T3 uptake is a largely useless value. I would talk to a doctor or go back and test for T3 and FT3. There are a few tricks to see if you might be able to change those values such as don't consume and stimulants like caffeine, eat a bit more dietary fat/cholesterol, consider going gluten free, supplement with iodine (if its Hashimots causing hypo than skip the iodine), no alcohol, add vitamins B, D, E, etc.

I've seen figures as high as 90% of hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's which is a condition where the body's immune system attacks the thyroid tissue. My sister actually suffers from Hashimoto's which was probably brought on by her diabetes. I say this Not to alarm you, just to help inform you. Worst case scenario is you're looking at T3 supplementation (don't settle for only T4) or possible thyroid armour supplementation.

Thank you!

Edit - As a side note as I research thyroid levels this is an informative article on TSH. By the updated thyroid scale I have a hypothyroid. The range has been narrowed to .3 on the low end indicating hyperthyroid, and 3.0 on the high end indicating a hypothyroid. My current level is 3.69. I have taken many "fat burners" and other over the counter stimulants in my time as well as I continue to use caffeine today. Have I ruined my thyroid?

The other odd thing is from what I read my T4 and Free Thyroxine levels look just fine. It's the TSH level that is concerning. Supposedly the T3 uptake test is to not be considered from what I read.

Normal TSH: The "New" Normal Range

I found this site to be extremely informative in case you're interested in further reading.

Home

I prefer the saliva Test's as it test "Free" testosterone.
Total testosterone can be deceiving, as u do not kno how much is available/free and how much is bound - things like SHBG and others.

I understand your interest in knowing the unbound level of testosterone present but total testosterone is generally the most accepted value and the most important. That's not to say the free testosterone values are worthless since they can help pinpoint abnormalities in hormone homeostasis. The following is a quote by Dr. Scally:

Dr. Scally said:
Total testosterone simply is all testosterone bound and unbound to serum proteins. The serum proteins mainly responsible for transport are SHBG and albumin.

Free testosterone (FT) is that unbound to any serum protein. Bioavailable or non-SHBG testosterone (BT) is testosterone not bound to SHBG. So you can see, your post includes SHBG with reference to FT and TT, but not BT.

Total testosterone has the only reproducible, validated assay used by all labs. Th other tests are method dependent and can vary considerably from lab to lab. Becuase of this do not believe or order a FT or BT unless you absolutely know the methodology and even then if it is a method known to be validated. The best recourse (and most commonly used by physicians) is to order the TT and SHBG (even the SHBG test needs to be a validated test). One can calculate the BT and FT with the Vermeulen Method.

As far as diagnosing hypogonadism, the TT is the first test. If the TT is low (of course, a history & physical has already been done) or borderline for some, nothing else needs to be done. The TT does not do a good job of capturing all those who have hypogonadism. In the conditions where the TT is not low, one looks to the BT or FT.

Hope that helps :)

Yes I've seen the new updated ranges but as you can see on your panel, not everyone has adopted these new ranges. All the numbers on your panel besides the thyroid ones look pretty good. Yooure test is barely lower than mine and im 28. Your TSH value is cause for concern though and I would think about further tests or seeing a doctor. We're you fasted for this test?

On the new scale you are hypothyroidic and if using the old scale you could still be considered sub-clinical hypothyroidic. You're correct T3 uptake is a largely useless value. I would talk to a doctor or go back and test for T3 and FT3. There are a few tricks to see if you might be able to change those values such as don't consume and stimulants like caffeine, eat a bit more dietary fat/cholesterol, consider going gluten free, supplement with iodine (if its Hashimots causing hypo than skip the iodine), no alcohol, add vitamins B, D, E, etc.

I've seen figures as high as 90% of hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's which is a condition where the body's immune system attacks the thyroid tissue. My sister actually suffers from Hashimoto's which was probably brought on by her diabetes. I say this Not to alarm you, just to help inform you. Worst case scenario is you're looking at T3 supplementation (don't settle for only T4) or possible thyroid armour supplementation.

I was fasted. Hadn't eaten since the night before. The test was done around 10:30am. I had about 200mg of caffeine at that point split in two doses at about 5:30 am and 8:30am. I'll read up on the site you found informative. Also, what test would you recommend if I wanted to look into it further before going to a doctor? I didn't see anything on personalabs.com that covered what you said to have tested. Does MD have a test? Also, I had no alcohol for about a week before this test...wella bout 5 days. Probably had a drink that previous sunday. I don't drink heavily thought. a few drinks on the weekend.

I was fasted. Hadn't eaten since the night before. The test was done around 10:30am. I had about 200mg of caffeine at that point split in two doses at about 5:30 am and 8:30am. I'll read up on the site you found informative. Also, what test would you recommend if I wanted to look into it further before going to a doctor? I didn't see anything on personalabs.com that covered what you said to have tested. Does MD have a test? Also, I had no alcohol for about a week before this test...wella bout 5 days. Probably had a drink that previous sunday. I don't drink heavily thought. a few drinks on the weekend.

Ok, caffeine, alcohol, and not being fasted could all impact your results. When you go for further tests try and go around the same time give or take to have somewhat comparable tests. Avoid caffeine before the test.

I'd imagine both personal labs and private md would both have more thyroid tests but don't know off hand. I would look for Free T3 (FT3), Total T3 (TT3), TSH, FT4, and TT4, the matter 3 you already have. The other tests for T3 are important bc you have to find out if you have an issue with converting T4 to T3 or if the issue lies elsewhere.

Ok, caffeine, alcohol, and not being fasted could all impact your results. When you go for further tests try and go around the same time give or take to have somewhat comparable tests. Avoid caffeine before the test.

I'd imagine both personal labs and private md would both have more thyroid tests but don't know off hand. I would look for Free T3 (FT3), Total T3 (TT3), TSH, FT4, and TT4, the matter 3 you already have. The other tests for T3 are important bc you have to find out if you have an issue with converting T4 to T3 or if the issue lies elsewhere.

I will definitely fast again, and I don't drink during the week typically, so that should be an issue. How long should I abstain from caffeine? Just that day, a day prior? Thanks for all the info.

I will definitely fast again, and I don't drink during the week typically, so that should be an issue. How long should I abstain from caffeine? Just that day, a day prior? Thanks for all the info.

As long as possible. If you can get a few days off of it your tolerance to it and any ill effects it may be having on you will subside the longer you're off of it.

As long as possible. If you can get a few days off of it your tolerance to it and any ill effects it may be having on you will subside the longer you're off of it.

Ok. Thanks again. I'm using a protocol for another week that calls for some caffeine use, 300mg within the day. But after that I will take a break. Then try again. I'm it's just stimulant use that's throwing off my numbers. I'll look up another test that includes all of the thyroid levels.

Ok. Thanks again. I'm using a protocol for another week that calls for some caffeine use, 300mg within the day. But after that I will take a break. Then try again. I'm it's just stimulant use that's throwing off my numbers. I'll look up another test that includes all of the thyroid levels.

Ok. Report back with the labs when you get them and we'll try to make sense of the results :)

Hey dre

3 weeks post pct and I'm ready to order some bloods. I was planning on getting the female hormone panel and basic ED profile, just to be sure everything is fine.

Just a quick question: does the complete metabolic panel test for serum b12?

Hey dre

3 weeks post pct and I'm ready to order some bloods. I was planning on getting the female hormone panel and basic ED profile, just to be sure everything is fine.

Just a quick question: does the complete metabolic panel test for serum b12?

No unfortunately it does not include serum B12. That's separate.

Also unless you're planning on getting more bloods in several weeks, I'd opt to wait 3-5wks before doing post cycle bloods bc you want an indicator of how your endogenous levels are sustaining after PCT and the weeks that follow. 3wks post pct is ok but I'd also want something 2-3months down the line as well

No unfortunately it does not include serum B12. That's separate.

Also unless you're planning on getting more bloods in several weeks, I'd opt to wait 3-5wks before doing post cycle bloods bc you want an indicator of how your endogenous levels are sustaining after PCT and the weeks that follow. 3wks post pct is ok but I'd also want something 2-3months down the line as well

cool I got you

But i really didn't complete a cycle... stopped 2 weeks in on my test p cycle because i started shedding like a dog, and i had absolutely no knowledge of aas.

just figured since my cycle was so short I could get bloods a little sooner?

if not i don't mind waiting..just curious

cool I got you

But i really didn't complete a cycle... stopped 2 weeks in on my test p cycle because i started shedding like a dog, and i had absolutely no knowledge of aas.

just figured since my cycle was so short I could get bloods a little sooner?

if not i don't mind waiting..just curious

Oh my bad, I was unaware of that. Yea that's fine to get the tests done now. Are you curious as to thyroid function and that's why you're also getting the basic ED panel?

Oh my bad, I was unaware of that. Yea that's fine to get the tests done now. Are you curious as to thyroid function and that's why you're also getting the basic ED panel?

Yeah, I had my yearly doc visit 1 week into PCT so i had to get bloods done

TSH - 1.510 (0.450-4.500 uIU/mL) (this seems low to me?)
T4, free(direct) - 1.42 (0.82-1.77 ng/dL)

wasn't sure if my pct drugs could affect it..just wanted to be sure :)

Also from the same test:

RBC - 5.39 (4.14-5.8x10E6/uL)
Hematocrit - 47.8 (37.5-51.0%)

should i donate blood before my test?

Last edited:
Yeah, I had my yearly doc visit 1 week into PCT so i had to get bloods done

TSH - 1.510 (0.450-4.500 uIU/mL) (this seems low to me?)
T4, free(direct) - 1.42 (0.82-1.77 ng/dL)

wasn't sure if my pct drugs could affect it..just wanted to be sure :)

Also from the same test:

RBC - 5.39 (4.14-5.8x10E6/uL)
Hematocrit - 47.8 (37.5-51.0%)

should i donate blood before my test?

A high TSH would indicate possible hypothyroidism while low woul indicate possible hyperthyroidism. Your TSH looks fine.

Your HCT and RBC look good too so donate if you want to give blood but its not needed since you're not at the danger zone yet with those values.

Hey doc,

been feeling depressed lately and I haven't gotten my bloods done yet but I am starting to worry. So I made an appt at my university health center and I'm going to ask them to test for everything in the female hormone panel but they never told me if I should fast or do some sort of other rituals. It's at 10:15am so it wouldnt be too hard. What do you think?

Back