How to make different strengths

esan28

Chemically speaking how is it possible to make different strengths of a substance? I know that medications come in different strengths but how do they actually do it? Is it determined by molecular weight? The only way I see it is that your starting material must be a certain strength to obtain a particular g/mL. I'm just trying to find out how chemists determine how strong a substance is and how to they go about making different strengths?

Easy. Making medications and injectables, cap and pills, oral liquids you name it... Its all about VOLUME and/or WEIGHT. For example. A >99% pure sample of drug A is in crystaline powder form. We weigh out 1.000 grams. We know that 1000mg are in 1g of anything...simple metric conversion. So we want lets say...pills at 100mg. We need to divide that 1000mg into 10 pills evenly. Or we may want to put it into solution with a solvent for oral dosing. We know that we want 100mg/ml, so we need 10ml total. The solvent takes up space, as does the drug. It doesnt matter though, even if you dont know the specific volume of said drug, you only need to weigh an amount of it and control the TOTAL volume. Read up on the stickys posted here in the chem section, lots of good info. Welcome to ology.

As for your question about g/ml. We need to know how much drug is in a specific volume of itself. Generally for hormones 1 gram will be around .8ml volume. Give or take of course, depending on density, how large/small the crystals are, if its liquid or solid. We also know how much esters weigh, so that needs to be subtracted as well to know how much actual drug is in 1ml of volume. See what Im sayin?>

I understand for the most part. Stating that increasing weight and keeping volume the same increase strength. But, if I were to take free test. and put it into solution without an ester how do I determine the strength? Do I use the molecular weight of free test? If so I got it then. thanks

I think you missed the point slightly. Basically, hormones, or any medication, do not come in a strength per mg or something like that while in crystaline form... think of powdered nestle quik... that is powder form... if you want to make 1litre of chocolate milk that is very weak, you will add milk and a little bit of quik powder to make your 1litre and it won't taste all that strong. However, if you want it to be stronger, then you need to add more quik powder, but because you are now adding more powder you must start with less milk otherwise the added quik powder will make the total volume more than 1litre. The amount of quik powder is what determined the strength, not the molecular weight of the quik powder... does that make sense?

Derek

the weight of the ester is added int the total weight of the compound. so an esterfied hormone has less parent hormone than a nonesterfied hormone. however long ester hormones will build up a higher blood level over a longer period of time than short/no ester due to the longer half life of the compound.

heres my post from the other thread =0l

well if you have 10g of test powder and after adding solvents and a carrier oil you end up with 50ml of final solution then your concentration is 200mg/ml.

10000mg/50ml=200mg/ml.

with the same amount of powder you have a final solution of 40ml then its 250mg/ml

10000mg/4l=250mg/ml.

Last edited:
Back