I got this from My Dad today

I received this from My Dad today. It made me think of how great life was as a kid in our great country. Although I just missed the cut. I wasn't born before 1970.

No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME !!!

OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born between

1925 - 1970:

At the end of this email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno. If you don't read anything else, please read what he said.

Very well stated, Mr.Leno.

~~~~~~~~~

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to Mothers who may have smoked and/or drank

While they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Many did not even see a doctor until they gave birth, if then.

Then, after that trauma, we were

Put to sleep on our tummies

In baby cribs covered

With bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,

And, when we rode our bikes,

We had baseball caps,

Not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires, and sometimes no brakes.....

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day was always a special treat, especially on the down tailgate hanging from two chains as it bounced up and down over every bump.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and drank water that came from a well that wasn't treated by the Government.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this; and we actually shared our food or traded food that we didn't like with others.

Neighbors walked into our homes and borrowed whatever they needed and usually returned it the next day; if it was some food item that they needed like a few eggs or cup of sugar, we got it the next time they went shopping. Most of us didn't have locks on the doors to our homes. Keys were left in the car ignition in case a neighbor needed to borrow it for something like a trip to the Emergency Room. Stealing was only something you heard about criminals doing now and then.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, fried chicken, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid, sodas, and candy made with real white sugar, and we weren't overweight.

WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning after the sun came up and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on, if you lived in a rich neighborhood that had them.

No one was able to reach us all day, but Mom always knew where we were and with whom we were playing.

--And, we were OKAY!

We would spend hours building forts for hide-outs, or

Our go-carts out of scraps

And then ride them down the hill,

Only to find out that we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem..

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos, and X-boxes. Most of us did not even have Televisions; and Telephones were all on "Party-Lines" where we listened to each other's conversations to keep up with the news.

There were

No video games, no 150 channels on cable,

No video movies or DVDs,

No surround-sound or CDs,

No cell phones,

No satellite dishes,

No personal computers,

No Internet, no chat rooms; and Movie Theaters were huge with giant screens and a second story balcony. The movie usually cost $0.25 for the double-feature, popcorn was a nickel for a giant tub with real melted butter on it, and so was the giant soda; and all of the trash actually went into the trash can. The biggest treat were the Drive-in Movie Theaters where for $0.50 the whole family could go see two movies, hang a speaker on the edge of your car window, walk into the snack bar and get almost anything take-out to eat in your car.

We actually had "Real Friends" - Both Girl-friends and Boy-friends And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut,

Broke bones and teeth,

And there were no lawsuits

From those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, belts, ping-pong paddles, bare-handed, or with whatever was handy; and no one would call child services to report abuse. If we bit somebody, we actually got bit back by our parents. If we hit someone, we expected and got hit back and sometimes got the crap beat out of us.

We ate worms, and mud pies

Made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. And Drugs were something that our parents got at the Drug Store, if they could afford them....

Booze and smoking was strictly a "Grown-up Thing."

Guns and knives were things that only really badmen used. Tattoos were things that bad-guys and some military men put on their bodies.

No one knew what a pierced-ear was

Let alone any other body piercings.

Hair coloring was something that Movie Stars did. We all had "Normal" Hair Cuts!

We were given BB-guns for our 10th birthdays that fired little steel balls with compressed-air, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and

-Although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes. Most boys carried a pocket knife to make a whistle, flute, sling-shot, or whittle on a piece of wood with.

Most of us had an old tire hanging from a tree in our yard for a swing, and another one at a near-by creek or swimming hole.

We rode bikes, if we could afford them, or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked with them. Every other Mother knew us by our first name and routinely spoke with your Mother about everything. There were no secrets!

Little League had tryouts,

And not everyone made the team....

Those, who didn't, had to learn

To deal with disappointment....

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out, if we broke the law, was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

No matter how we got punished for something that we did wrong in school, that was nothing compared to the punishment that we got when we got home, and parents actually brought their kids into school the next day to make sure that we apologized for whatever we did wrong.

Almost every family went to some Church on Sunday and Church Picnics were part of the Service. Everyone brought something to them to share.

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers,

Problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas....

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born

Between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others, who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the Government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

~~~~~~~

< i>The quote of the month

By

Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance or off of our money?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over "us" and the United States of America...

And believe that Satan does not exist - -

Go ahead and delete this!

For the rest of us.....

Please pass this on to your Family and Friends.

Last edited:
true words.

when i raised my kids they knew if they did somthing wrong they would get their butt whipped HARD ,therefore my kids did not do anything to get a whipping because they knew there were consequences.
i friend of my sons came over when they were about 17 years old and they were going out that evening , so i asked them what they were going to do . my sons friend joked they were going to get some dope . mo son told him he wasnt getting some dope because it would kill you and his friend say that he was just joking but pot wouldnt kill you. my son pointed right at me and said pot will kill us if he finds out.:jump:

Good post made me a little sad.

I am a guy in his early 20's and even when i look back to when i was a kid it is amazing how different it was.
I may have been the last generation to do those things above......

Last edited:
its a shame that young kids now are so fucked up. What even more shameful is they have no idea because their parents are/were fucking idiots.

Just as Dawg eluded, ass whoopings work. And no kid should ever have their face buried in anything but dirt outside, a big plate of good food, or a book. I fucking despise video games, think they are most of the reasons for things like ADD, ADHD and all that other bullshit that none of us had when we were kids, and there will never be a game system in my house. Thankfully my wife and agree on the same things when it comes to raising our children.

Nice post DPR.

I was born in the late 70's but my dad/mom raised me & my siblings with plenty of ass whoopings, if we did something wrong, & talking back to your parents meant washing your mouth with soap. (I never had to this thank God !)

I do believe in tough love when it comes to raising your children, now days some parents that are absent from their kids lives because of choice or because they have to work spoil rotten their kids to fill in the void they feel for not being a parent that's present, They Over-indulge children with too many toys, video games, excessive TV and the list goes on...
Back then you had to use your imagination & play, I didn't have many toys, but men, did I take care of the little toys I had, & appreciated what I had.

Back in those times Families ate together at dinner time, no kid or teenager ate in their bedroom while texting in their laptop, talking on their blackberry.. My daughter is 9 & has friends at school that have a cell phone & text friends all day long.

I'm lucky to be raising daughters that know if they disrespect someone, I will make them apologize, if they misbehave they know there are consequences, they know the value of Family, & they value of hard work.

My dad thought me so many great things & I was very fortunate to have been brought up like I was.

Great Post DPR !!:)

Last edited:
Wow I don't know were to begin I'm a son of an exile from the Island of Cuba a communist regime, I was born and raised in this great country were all man are free and have rights, My parents are conservative Republicans and so am I, its sad when I hear stories from my pop about how these communist would jail a man just cause he had a bible in his hands, yet I hear now they want to ban "In God we trust " from our currency, and the pledge of allegiance...It just makes me think how spoiled we're getting ...

growing up I remember Elvis was still around and he was still the KING of rock, I couldn't believe when he died my parents were shocked, from the stories I hear from my Dad and from what I've been through, I say times have changed ! Now days everyone is so spoiled, it just makes me sick. Great post DPR

Last edited:
true words.

when i raised my kids they knew if they did somthing wrong they would get their butt whipped HARD ,therefore my kids did not do anything to get a whipping because they knew there were consequences.
i friend of my sons came over when they were about 17 years old and they were going out that evening , so i asked them what they were going to do . my sons friend joked they were going to get some dope . mo son told him he wasnt getting some dope because it would kill you and his friend say that he was just joking but pot wouldnt kill you. my son pointed right at me and said pot will kill us if he finds out.:jump:

so true !

all u guys got was spoons paddles and belts???

hammers, wrenches, antennas, kicks to the ribs.. shit iv been spit on...

middle eastern parents know how to lay a whoopin on their kids.. and i wan one bad kid.. shit.. lol

regardless... things have changed so much.. this only puts it into a greater perspective so the younger generation can understand how disconnected we've become... great post!

Brings back many memories. When I was in the 7th grade I had friends show up at my house at 11pm (not a school night), and ask if I could go hang out with them. My mom knew all of them and said fine. We all walked over to his house and just hung out bs'ing until the morning. His parents woke up and found a house full of kids. His mom made us beer batter pancakes. Nice. Now, Child Services would probably be called on both parents. She knew where I was going and who I was with and I knew what would happen if I screwed up. I can't even imagine a kid going out that late now.

I was born in the 80's and 99% of that list still goes for me.

We used to go to the hockey rink and ask the janitor for broken hockey sticks. Then we used to save 2 weeks worth of allowance which for me was $2.00 week so we could buy plastic blades for those sticks.

Nets were made from pvc usually (no net). Goalie pads were made from old pissed on couch cushions cut in half with string put through them to keep em on, same with the blocker.

Had a BB gun, a knife, homemade sling shot, we ate food that fell on the floor (what 5 sec rule) shared food, drinks, build dangerous ramps and hurt ourselves on a daily basis.

I won't even go into the beatings I used to get by my dad. You name it I was most likely beat with it.

Well I got my as handed to me very often and i always deserved it. This was how I grew up. My son won't grow up this way for lack of partners in Crime. He does know if he steps out of line he is spanked. I real big on responsibility. It's ok to mess up but you have to pay the pipper when you do.

I was born in 82, but ALOT of this still related to my childhood.. GOOD TIMES..

GOOD READ.. thanks

My father was a kid during WWII. People had nothing back then cause all material and resources were devoted to the war effort.
The way he described his friends was hysterical...total characters! They had ONE baseball bat between them. It started to crack lengthwise so to keep it from flying apart they wrapped it in piano wire. If the ball hit the wire it would richochet off in some crazy direction. Nobody was around to maintain the field. The batters box @ homeplate was so worn down that they literally stood in a hole! And how about street hockey? I used hi tech rollerblades and a plastic ball as a puck. They used rollerskates with metal wheels (the kind ya need a skate key to lock on to your shoes) and they used a real puck...a puck on pavement!! Once your tires went bald you couldnt drive anymore cause you couldn`t buy tires!! I can go on forever....the point is that they never for a moment stopped having a good time. Kids being kids. Like George Carlin said ; " when was the last time a kid just sat in the backyard and dug a hole with a stick?"

Born in 71. First, the post made me smile. Then... kind of made me sad. How true this post is, how true the phrase....only really bad men carried guns. Hate to sound like my parents but DAMN, HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

Great post, now I will spend the rest of the day reminiscing on playing football on the street, baseball on a field, guns (with sticks or our fingers!!) in the woods, a neighborhood fist fight with fists and feet only,***looking up to professional athletes not because they floss and bling and showboat and smoke dope and throw up occasional gang signs, but because they were true all American Heroes*** hanging out ALL day, and yes....being home on time...sober.

God be with us over the next 40 years

Back