i have a question reguarding frying in olive oil?

minitor2

why is it notoriously bad to say take a potato cut it up and fry it in olive oil like french fries but its not bad to eat a baked potato?

i mean dont guys cook theyre chicken and veggies in olive oil since its healthier but for some reason as soon as you say im gonna eat a french fry its a bad thing. i dont understand this i mean isnt it the same nutritional value its still a whole potato?

minitor2

The problem is that olive oil burns at high heat and it will taste terribly bitter and burnt if you try to deep fry in it. If you are going to fry your food, stick to peanut oil for deep frying.

humm never thought of that one

the next question is thougth is this a good substitute for baked potatoes when u get sick of them?

minitor2

huskyguy said:
The problem is that olive oil burns at high heat and it will taste terribly bitter and burnt if you try to deep fry in it. If you are going to fry your food, stick to peanut oil for deep frying.

Actually, I think peanut oil is less stable than olive oil. Lard is more stable than both of these (that's what people used to fry in), and THE most stable is coconut oil, since it's over 90% saturated fat.

The reason people say french fries are bad is because they are usually fried in shitty oil like soybean oil. That and potatoes generally have a high GI. However, in the post-workout time period, this is actually a good thing. I don't see a problem with french fries if you make them yourself fried in lard and eat them in the PWO period.

wow

i thought lard is the worst thign ever for you. isnt it horribly bad for your health? or is that just myth due to over use of it? i never knew u couldnt fry in olive oil. and itsnt lard like a brick of pig fat? what do you do let it melt like butter in a pan? ive never cooked with it. thanks

minitor2

Re: wow

minitor2 said:
i thought lard is the worst thign ever for you. isnt it horribly bad for your health? or is that just myth due to over use of it? i never knew u couldnt fry in olive oil. and itsnt lard like a brick of pig fat? what do you do let it melt like butter in a pan? ive never cooked with it. thanks

minitor2

Lard got a bad name along with most all animal fats with lots of invalid studies that used hydrogenated oils and called them "saturated fats." Yeah, hydrogenated oils will mess with cholesterol, increase risk of heart disease, etc, but hydrogenated oils are not the same as the saturated fat found in butter, lard, etc. Even though lard isn't THAT high in saturated fat (butter is higher). There really isn't proof that real animal fats are going to damage your health. However, the vast majority of animals are not raised properly anymore, so their ratios are off, but hey, even fruits and veggies are all messed up from poor practices.

You CAN fry in olive oil, but I wouldn't do it for very long or with very high heat. It's reasonably stable since it's mostly monounsaturated, but it's not as stable as lard, and definitely not as stable as coconut oil.

Lard is rendered fat, meaning you take chunks of pig fat and cook it until there is liquid fat. The liquid is the lard. You can use it just like butter. It gives fried things a nice flavor.

damn

thanks frosty im gonna try that. do you think that it is ok to do this like 1 or 2x a week as a change up or do you think it should be used more sparingly? like aside form the cholestrol risk is there anything else i should be worried about with it?

minitor2

If your cutting, deep frying fries isnt the best idea. Your mixing carbs and fat together.

Carbs and protein: Good

Protein and fats: Good

Carbs and fats: Bad

Actually olive oil is good for you, the reason it burns at high temps is that there is more vitamins and anti-oxidant compounds than many other oils, the better the olive oil is for you the lower the temperature you can cook with it. Lard is the best for deep frying, I try to avoid deep fried foods simply because of the high carb content not necessarily the fat content. I am not a big fan of too many potatoes, green veggies work best especially when I am eating lots of meat and fats--too many carbs are unnecessary. Green vegetables cook best in Olive oil and the taste goes well with them--potatoes taste best if fried in lard.

Vinni said:
If your cutting, deep frying fries isnt the best idea. Your mixing carbs and fat together.

Carbs and protein: Good

Protein and fats: Good

Carbs and fats: Bad

Why is it bad?

Re: damn

minitor2 said:
thanks frosty im gonna try that. do you think that it is ok to do this like 1 or 2x a week as a change up or do you think it should be used more sparingly? like aside form the cholestrol risk is there anything else i should be worried about with it?

minitor2

Once or twice a week would be fine so long as it's PWO. That's the biggest thing I would worry about since potatoes are high in carbs.

it's bad only when you're not using the carbs in it for energy
then it will form fat.. triglyceride bond with glycerol

and that's what you say frosty.. PWO.. you can take it.. though I would rather take something else.

Back