Ok guys, tear this workout plan apart! I need the advice...

believe&achieve

I have selected a date for my first figure competition in March. That gives me roughly 8 months to prepare. I do not have a coach so I need all the advice I can get. Here is my workout and meal regimen. Please feel free to pick this apart and point out flaws. I dont want to waste my time on the wrong track so I need the advice.

Stats: 5'4", 150 lbs, muscular build, 24.5% body fat, been eating clean and weight lifting solid for about 2 months now. Dropped from 32 % body fat to 24.5 in about 3 1/2 months.

Workout:

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
-Bench press: 3 sets of heavy, 3-5 reps
-Incline press: 3 sets of 6-12 reps
-Dumbell bench press: 3 x 6-12
-2 x 40 burnout flies
-hammer curls: 3 x 3-5 (heavy)
-Bar curls: 3 x 6-12
-2 x 40 burnout machine curls

Day 2: 30 minutes HIIT cardio with abs (I do 4 reps of a lower, oblique and upper exercise all heavy as possible to build muscle???)

Day 3: Shoulders and Triceps
-Shoulder press with a bar 3 x 3-5's
-Arnold presses 3 x 6-12's
-Front raises 3 x 6-12's
-Side raises 2 x 40 burnouts
-Tricep push downs 3 x 3-5's
-French press 3 x 6-12's
-Rope pull downs 2 x 40's

Day 4: Light 30 minute cardio in the am
Back, calves, and abs
-Deadlifts 3 x 3-5's
-Pull downs 3 x 6-12's
-Lat pull downs 3 x 6-12's
-Low rows 2 x 40's
-4 sets of calf raises (sometimes seated, sometimes standing etc)
-4 sets of sit-ups on decline with weight

Day 5: HIIT cardio 30 minutes

Day 6: Legs
-Squats 3 x 3-5's
-Leg press 3 x 6-12's
-Leg extensions 3 x 6-12's
-Hamstring curls 2 x 40's

I got this out of Flex Magazine and have seen great gains in muscle and dropping if body fat % so far.

I am a certified nutritionist so I calculated my protein intake based on my weight. About 150 grams a day and I eat five meals a day. About 3-4 ounces of lean meat at each mea or a shake, 2/3 to 1 cup whole grain like brown rice or sweat potato. Always a cup of veggies and a little healthy fat like olive oil etc. Ive got my calories set at 2448 a day. What do you guys think? Is this going to keep me on track for comp in 8 months. I am planning on reducing calories and carbs slowly as I get closer.

Also, what rate can I expect to drop body fat %? Any advice on supplements? And honestly, is it possible to go from 24.5 % to 10% in 8 months? Im willing to extend date if this isnt feasible. :dunno:

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

everyone is very different in their approach, a lot depends on how your body responds. You need to remember that judges look for symmetry, conditioning a healthy look etc. I'd need pictures to see what you look like before making judgements about your routine. It's not just about dropping fat and adding muscle, you want to have muscle in the right places while keeping your waist as small as humanly small as possible. Your workouts would and should change the closer you get to comp.

Also, as you start depleting your calories you will most likely need supplements like a multi vitamin, maybe fish oils, bcca's, glutamine etc.. Depends on how you feel though. If I were you I'd get a coach for training specifically for figure and someone else to do your diet. I'm qualified in nutrition but find it easier to get another person to do mine, you get too emotional to make rational decisions.. Well, I do!! Good luck - post pics ;)

I have selected a date for my first figure competition in March. That gives me roughly 8 months to prepare. I do not have a coach so I need all the advice I can get. Here is my workout and meal regimen. Please feel free to pick this apart and point out flaws. I dont want to waste my time on the wrong track so I need the advice.

Stats: 5'4", 150 lbs, muscular build, 24.5% body fat, been eating clean and weight lifting solid for about 2 months now. Dropped from 32 % body fat to 24.5 in about 3 1/2 months.

Workout:

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
-Bench press: 3 sets of heavy, 3-5 reps
-Incline press: 3 sets of 6-12 reps
-Dumbell bench press: 3 x 6-12
-2 x 40 burnout flies
-hammer curls: 3 x 3-5 (heavy)
-Bar curls: 3 x 6-12
-2 x 40 burnout machine curls

Day 2: 30 minutes HIIT cardio with abs (I do 4 reps of a lower, oblique and upper exercise all heavy as possible to build muscle???)

Day 3: Shoulders and Triceps
-Shoulder press with a bar 3 x 3-5's
-Arnold presses 3 x 6-12's
-Front raises 3 x 6-12's
-Side raises 2 x 40 burnouts
-Tricep push downs 3 x 3-5's
-French press 3 x 6-12's
-Rope pull downs 2 x 40's

Day 4: Light 30 minute cardio in the am
Back, calves, and abs
-Deadlifts 3 x 3-5's
-Pull downs 3 x 6-12's
-Lat pull downs 3 x 6-12's
-Low rows 2 x 40's
-4 sets of calf raises (sometimes seated, sometimes standing etc)
-4 sets of sit-ups on decline with weight

Day 5: HIIT cardio 30 minutes

Day 6: Legs
-Squats 3 x 3-5's
-Leg press 3 x 6-12's
-Leg extensions 3 x 6-12's
-Hamstring curls 2 x 40's

I got this out of Flex Magazine and have seen great gains in muscle and dropping if body fat % so far.

I am a certified nutritionist so I calculated my protein intake based on my weight. About 150 grams a day and I eat five meals a day. About 3-4 ounces of lean meat at each mea or a shake, 2/3 to 1 cup whole grain like brown rice or sweat potato. Always a cup of veggies and a little healthy fat like olive oil etc. Ive got my calories set at 2448 a day. What do you guys think? Is this going to keep me on track for comp in 8 months. I am planning on reducing calories and carbs slowly as I get closer.

Also, what rate can I expect to drop body fat %? Any advice on supplements? And honestly, is it possible to go from 24.5 % to 10% in 8 months? Im willing to extend date if this isnt feasible. :dunno:

Thanks everyone!

Welcome Believe&achieve :wavey:

First off congratulations on dropping your BF from 32% to 24.5% in 3 1/2 months that is pretty impresive :)

There's really no set rate in which u can drop BF, it really depends on your on your age/diet/training, etc

Based on your weight & BF I calculated your calories should be around 2,308 a day, protein u need at least a gram per lb, how many carbs are you eating now ?

There are so many different diets for contest prep, most do a carb manipulation & deplete their cals/carbs as they get closer to their contest.
Like Detour mentioned, if I were u I would also get the help of a coach to maximise your results.

And as far as supps, you could take a multi vitamin, Bcaa's,(before & after workout & before u go to bed on the days u do weight training) Glutamine for protein synthesis and optimal recovery, branch chain amino acids will help u with recovery following intense training.

For me I love HIIT I'm doing it on my days off twice a week, I find that it works great for fat loss.

Best of luck to you Girl ;)
Hope you achieve your goals !

Thanks ladies! I will post pics this weekend when I get some time. Im nervouse because I know Ive got a long ways to go. So be gentle.... ;)

I think you are totally right Detour about getting someone else to do my diet. I like to think Im the expert but I also know what I like to eat versus what I should be eating and man am I a carb junkie!

Mrs. P, right now I have been eating about 49n grams of carbs at each meal. I did this calculation from my text book but I have been paranoid it is too much. Luckily I have been eating about 1 gram of protien per body weight a day, divided by five at each meal so Im good on that one.

I have been searching high and low for a coach but I live in a mid-west community where competition hasnt really caught on yet and none of the trainers I have spoken to so far were willing to coach me for lack of knowledge in the area of figure comp. But, I'll keep looking!

Also, get hold of some figure posing DVDs. Practice a little everyday. Your posing can give the illusion of being leaner and more conditioned than you really are if you find your best positions. You'll need to get used to holding your poses for long periods of time on stage under hot lights.

Good lick to you.

Thanks ladies! I will post pics this weekend when I get some time. Im nervouse because I know Ive got a long ways to go. So be gentle.... ;)

I think you are totally right Detour about getting someone else to do my diet. I like to think Im the expert but I also know what I like to eat versus what I should be eating and man am I a carb junkie!

Mrs. P, right now I have been eating about 49n grams of carbs at each meal. I did this calculation from my text book but I have been paranoid it is too much. Luckily I have been eating about 1 gram of protien per body weight a day, divided by five at each meal so Im good on that one.

I have been searching high and low for a coach but I live in a mid-west community where competition hasnt really caught on yet and none of the trainers I have spoken to so far were willing to coach me for lack of knowledge in the area of figure comp. But, I'll keep looking!

If your eating 49 grams per meal, and u have 6 meals then that would be close to 300 grams of carbs a day, way too many..
How many meals are u eating ?

This is why is a good idea to have a nutritional coach to tweak your diet.

feel free to keep asking.

and don't feel bad about posting the pic, focus on the accomplishments thus far. ;)

Back