I think im skipping ALA post workout form now on

iced

Banned, had no choice
J Nutr 2002 Oct;132(10):3001-6 Related Articles, Links

Alpha-lipoic acid inhibits glycogen synthesis in rat soleus muscle via its oxidative activity and the uncoupling of mitochondria.

Dicter N, Madar Z, Tirosh O.

Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot 76100, Israel.

alpha-Lipoic acid (LA) is currently being investigated as a glucose-lowering agent for diabetes control; it is also considered a powerful dietary antioxidant. The objective of this study was to investigate the fate of glucose in isolated rat muscles incubated with LA and determine its effects on intramuscular redox status. Rat soleus muscles were incubated for up to 60 min with 2.4 mmol/L LA in the presence or absence of insulin. Intramuscular concentrations of LA were evaluated (uptake and reduction), and glycogen synthesis, glucose oxidation, intramuscular reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and mitochondrial membrane potential investigated. Insulin enhanced glycogen synthesis, whereas LA decreased rates by >50%. LA elevated ROS production and in combination with t-butylhydroperoxide, an oxidant, additively inhibited glycogen synthesis rates by 80%. Insulin acted as an antioxidant and attenuated ROS production by 30%. LA uncoupled the mitochondria and accelerated glucose oxidation 1.5-fold relative to the control. The glycogen synthesis pathway was found to be dependent on mitochondrial function because treatment with mitochondrial inhibitors eliminated the majority of glycogen synthesis. These data show that in this model, LA acts as a mild prooxidant, causing mitochondrial uncoupling and inhibition of glycogen synthesis. It appears that LA regulates glucose metabolism in the muscle differently than insulin.

goes against every thing I ever head of ala.
I never took any before bought a bottle from walgeens for 6.00 lol.
not type r ala.
It just says Alpha Lipoic Acid..read it was good in conjuntion with slin...
I'm so confused..lol
I'll let it collect dust.

what kind of shit is this....

Billy_Bathgate said:
Thats from the s-ALA. Once again proving, r-ALA is superior.
i like r-ALA dont get me wrong, i seem to get lean even though im taking in almost 500g of carbs, but do u think r-ALA would react different post workout?

DG..that is ALA which is made of the 2 optical isomers r- and s- Basically, its the exact same molecule, but mirror images, like your right and left hand. Makes a big difference too. If it doesnt specifically say r- , its probally racemix (regular ALA, 50/50 r and s).

r-ALA will act different post workout. It has been shown in quite a few studies to increase glycogen synthesis. Fonz has done lots of research on this. Search for his posts on it if you want to know more, as he knows alot more about it than I do.

thanks for info bro!
if you can get time get me a link when best to take w/slin or without?
pre workout-
post workout
??????????
I will try it

for cleaning the liver or what benefits will I get

sorry so many $$ never looked into it much as there always seem to be a new trendy vitamin coming and going

Last edited:
R-ALA is really superior to normal ALA and is a fantastic compound. I would suggest everyone use it, especially if they are on slin.

well, personally, i have had good results with regular ala taken all meals, including post workout, so i'll stick with that... theres many good reads out there as far as articles and scientific research goes, but i stick with what gives me good results...

which brand of r-ala does everyone here use? i think the study shows the superiority of the r form of ala.

so, which brand should i get? i am looking for an unbiased opinion from the brotherhood here...

many thanks for ur help, Bs.

Billy_Bathgate said:
DG..that is ALA which is made of the 2 optical isomers r- and s- Basically, its the exact same molecule, but mirror images, like your right and left hand. Makes a big difference too. If it doesnt specifically say r- , its probally racemix (regular ALA, 50/50 r and s).

r-ALA will act different post workout. It has been shown in quite a few studies to increase glycogen synthesis. Fonz has done lots of research on this. Search for his posts on it if you want to know more, as he knows alot more about it than I do.

Fonz?! LOL The guy cuts and pastes supplement promos. That's his "research." And don't think for a second he doesn't make a profit from the sale of r-ala. What a clown.

Insulin HELPS you recover, now these dolts want you to believe that r-ALA is BETTER when all it does is jam glucose into your muscle AND fat cells. The latter WOULD not happen if you didn't take ALA after a workout because FAT CELLS are made insensitive to insulin due to the workout hormones.

These guys are exposed big time.

Yea, it's better to have glucose going into every cell in my freaking body without insulin to help uptake amino acids!

This is so goddamn dumb I can't believe it got this far.

people WANT to buy the easy fix, the solution in a pill (in this case, the miraculous R-ala). same reason that ambulance chasing lawyers that advertise make money hand over fist.

It's the metformin, phenformin, chromium, boron, debacle scams all over again.

Can I get some ecdysterone, too?

Nelson Montana said:
Fonz?! LOL The guy cuts and pastes supplement promos. That's his "research." And don't think for a second he doesn't make a profit from the sale of r-ala. What a clown.

Thought YOU would have noticed that was posted over a year ago....

Dont you promote herbal post cycle therapy (pct) and sell it too?

Last edited:
Back