Ignoring the negative effects of alcohol.

I battled with alcohol and drug addiction for several years. I have absolutely no control when I drink and use and a lot of bad shit happens. I take everything to the extreme. After my second trip to rehab I haven't drank or used in four and a half years. I go to AA a few times a week. This works for me. Bodybuilding has become my outlet.

Sometimes you just need a break, your mind needs to relax. Thats understandable you just got to make a habit of not making it a habit but a tool you use every few weeks or once a month to relax.

For me alcohol is easy to pass on, but when I see all my friends drinking and having a fun time it does get hard to say no. However I haven't drank in over 4 months and it has been pretty easy. I just do my bodybuilding thing and stay focused.

You can't really ignore the negative effects of alcohol since it affects your health, career and life. While most people are familiar with the short-term physical effects of alcohol on the human brain, few people realize some of the long-term effects of alcohol are permanent and incredibly disabling to the brain, and can cause physical and mental impairment for life. Alcohol enhances the action of 5-HT and acetylcholine at 5-HT3 and nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, increasing excitatory neurotransmission at these receptors. Prolonged exposure causes adaptive changes in the brain receptors and neurotransmitters, which are responsible for various effects such as addiction, tolerance, and withdrawal.

I just drink for social events.....For instance: going to dinners, clubs, bars, Sunday Football at the local pub....I try to limit myself to 1 day a week due to the effects alcohol has to the body in metabolizing fat....Other than that I really dont drink or feel the need to drink.. So, the hardest thing for me is to NOT DRINK when going out into these social situations...I have been able to do it a few times but it really sucks....However, I'm a dark dark beer drinker when I drink and lately I have switched to the lightest beer that I can possible find..OR I try to stick with hard alcolhol and diet soda of some sort...

Just my input

I battled with alcohol and drug addiction for several years. I have absolutely no control when I drink and use and a lot of bad shit happens. I take everything to the extreme. After my second trip to rehab I haven't drank or used in four and a half years. I go to AA a few times a week. This works for me. Bodybuilding has become my outlet.

this is a topic that I can relate to very well unfortunately. I come from a long line of alcoholics and I grew up watching the effects on my family. I had my times in my youth where I would drink socially, which grew into me trying to drink as much as I could and usually not handling it too well. I don't know how to explain it but at some point I just looked at myself and told myself that I can't do this anymore. I did not want to have the same life as the others in my family had, and I was not going to put my family through this. For whatever reason it worked for me this way, maybe it was all of the al-anon meetings and other meetings that my mom made me sit through. My dad ended up quitting drinking for 15 years before he passed away and he actually helped alot of others find sobriety as well. It is a tough thing to battle against especially with it being so socially accepted.Think of it this way, if you have the willpower to DIET and workout so hard to get yourself in shape and stay in shape then you should be mentally strong enough to keep that in control as well.

Nerd, alcoholism is a disease, not a lack of mental toughness or will-power. I have struggled with alcoholism for a long time and no matter how many times I tried to quit, I couldn't. It wasn't until I had to check into a mental hospital for delirium tremens (that was my second time in rehab) that I have been able to stay sober for a little bit. I have amazing will-power in everything except alcohol. The AA program is the only thing I've found that works for me. I am definitely a true alcoholic and can sympathize with the "crazy bums" and every other alcoholic after everything alcohol has done to me.

Back