I'm bulking, but unexpectedly getting ripped. What's the deal?

JimmyV

Hi there,

I hope this is the right section for this question.

I am at week 7 into a test cycle (@ 500mg/wk, 33 YO, 199lb, 6'4") and on 4500 - 5000 kcals/day of whole foods and egg protein and working out 3-4 times per week and I my bodyfat is being lost very steadily.

Other supps I am taking are:
Acetyl L-Carnitine @ 1.5g/day
BCAA @ 25-30g/day
Glutamine @ 40g/day

I always used to take glutamine, so no change there. But the ALCAR & BCAA are new to me. During last year's cycle, I didn't eat enough cals, but didn't loose any bodyfat either. But this year, I am eating like an animal and training hard, but no cardio - just weights. The fat is melting away and I am gaining muscle and getting ripped at the same time. I always thought was impossible with such a calorie excess...

Would someone with more knowledge than me please give me some insight into why I am dropping bodyfat so easily now? (I am not complaining btw, just curious).

Thanks
JimmyV

Last edited:
LOL and this is a problem? BCAA's help a lot with food conversion from what I've read. Plus if your diet has changed in the last year (ie your metabolism went up for a cutting phase prior to the cycle) that could explain it. Kind of unexpected results with no cardio, but Test has a way of doing unsual things with our bodies. Congrats on the success, then!

Haha, as soon as I saw this topic title I thought to myself "He must be on cycle."

I think it's most likely the test and the fact that your diet is better. Did you use a different source for the test this time?

i saw the title & thought that it's probably an indicator you were not taking enough calories in as you mentioned ...

plus diet sounds pretty clean now

Thanks for the replies :)

It's almost like I'm "eating myself slim" lol I have a high metabolic rate and only got the bellyfat due to using maltodextrin whilst I was bulking a few years ago. I tried to get rid of it by upping my cardio and all it seemed to do is just burn me out.

I started counting calories a couple of months ago and taking my diet 110% seriously and my body is transforming as a result. I workout like a beast and people stare at me which is pretty funny (even though I aint much to look at yet, just a tall lanky grunter).

Yeah, my diet is pretty clean. Very little sugar (ca. 20g/day) and loads of nuts, raisons, fats, meat, pasta and I eat until I physically cannot get any more down my throat. Usually hit 5000 kcals/day and feel like I've let myself down if I miss a meal.

Same gear as last year, didn't even kickstart with orals and I am up 14lb in 6 weeks, with the drop in bodyfat and very little bloat (Aromasin ;). Still got about 6 weeks to run, so hopeful for another 10lb or so. Just pissed off that I have had a cold on and off for the last 2 weeks. Back to the gym today though :)

Cheers,
JimmyV

Damn Jimmy, you have the perfect storm going here! I made the same change back in October started really looking at what I was eating and cut way back on sugar and upped the cardio, boom 30 pounds dropped in 6 months! Now I'm ready for my first cycle and see if I can get the same kind of results as you.
I've already upped my workout intensity just trying to get ramped up hard before I even start. The hardest part I've noticed is that I'm having trouble eating enough, my stomach just isn't on board LOL. When you get used to eating 2000-2500 calories a day for months, suddenly double that is a real challenge!

Congrats on the 30lb dropped. That's a massive success. I know what you mean about getting the calories in though - it can be real tough. Eating with no appetite aint no fun, but strangely I am getting used to it. I only ate about 3000 yesterday and I was starving all day today.

I pull a few tricks to get my calories up without noticing. Namely, I add sunflower oil and cornstarch to my protein shakes during the day which can easliy see me another 1300 kcals. Another thing I do is take a plain protein shake upon waking and before sleeping, which really helps recovery.

The other day I smashed out a pretty hard session with a lot of volume and the following day, I barely felt like I'd been to the gym. Where as last year, I doubt if I ate more than 2500 kcals/day and felt like a zombie all the time.

:)

Yeah I'm about to resort to shakes. I do protein powder but I really prefer to get my cals in with food.
Well looking forward to some progress updates. I gotta get going on my cycle so I can get a log up.

This is your answer ;)

Thanks for the replies :)

It's almost like I'm "eating myself slim" lol I have a high metabolic rate and only got the bellyfat due to using maltodextrin whilst I was bulking a few years ago. I tried to get rid of it by upping my cardio and all it seemed to do is just burn me out.

I started counting calories a couple of months ago and taking my diet 110% seriously and my body is transforming as a result. I workout like a beast and people stare at me which is pretty funny (even though I aint much to look at yet, just a tall lanky grunter).

Yeah, my diet is pretty clean. Very little sugar (ca. 20g/day) and loads of nuts, raisons, fats, meat, pasta and I eat until I physically cannot get any more down my throat. Usually hit 5000 kcals/day and feel like I've let myself down if I miss a meal.

Same gear as last year, didn't even kickstart with orals and I am up 14lb in 6 weeks, with the drop in bodyfat and very little bloat (Aromasin ;). Still got about 6 weeks to run, so hopeful for another 10lb or so. Just pissed off that I have had a cold on and off for the last 2 weeks. Back to the gym today though :)

Cheers,
JimmyV

Back