I'm FAT...HELP!

TransFormation

hello all, I recently got back into weight training, haven't trained hard in 2.5 years, and I'm motivated to get back into it. first thing is first, I need to get my diet in check in order to make gains. I'm 26 years old, 6'3, 217 lbs (not sure of bf% haven't had the chance to check, but I'm fat), I have an understanding in dieting and training, but like I said, with work and life changes, I became lazy and fell into poor eating habits. I want to start off SLOWLY, so my body can become adjusted to new eating habits, my goal is to shed fat, and at the moment I'm looking to cut before I even consider bulking. Below is a sample of the diet I started since last Monday, and I only allow 1 cheat meal a week, which usually consist of pasta or steak. No McDonalds or any fast food (even when I ate like crap, I never at fast food)
Critique my diet, and help out a fallen soldier who is looking to get back in the game. Thanks all!

Meal one: 6 egg whites, 1 cap of fish oil, animal pak multi-vit, black coffee (no milk or sugar)

Meal two: 1 cup of oatmeal

Meal three: 2 chicken burgers

Meal four: 2 chicken burgers, 1 cup of jasmine rice

Post workout: Whey shake (48 gm) 1 cap of glutamine

Meal Five: 2 chicken burgers, 1 cup of stringbeans, 1 cap of fish oil.

I drink 1.5-2 gallons of water a day, and do cardio 3x a week after weight-training. Cardio consists of running 3-5 miles, between an 8:45-9 min mile pace. May starting doing interval sprints as well.

Looks fine to me. Just make sure you keep your carbs very limited at the begining and slowly ease back into them as you lose more and more. Also be sure to ease back in the good foods you enjoy so that when you reach your goal you will be able to maintain the diet/lifestyle change. Make sure you switch up some of those chicken burgers with lean read meat, lean steak, fish, tuna, etc. There's nothing worse then going so strict that once you reach your goal, you feel the need to go on a 3-month cheat meal :)
..and keep that intensity up in the gym.

I personally would like to see those chicken burgers turn into chicken breasts a much better choice IMO

Thanks for the replies everybody!

JayC, I actually bought sirlion patties the other day at the meat market, and yesterday I ate steak kabab, marinated in red wine, and it was absolutely delicious. The butcher by me has all delicious recipes, you could buy chicken meatloaf, chicken or turkey sausage, all lean tasty meats.

Drako, why would you rather chicken breast over burgers? Not that I'm questioning your response, but I'm just curious. I may have to reconsider making chicken burgers my main source of protein, but I just love how those damn things taste lol.

Going to buy some salmon tomorrow, so I could grill it up before my cheat meal tomorrow-which I've been impatiently waiting for all week. Thanks for all the help!

I dunno if chicken burgers are the same in the US as they are in the UK but over here they are left over chicken feet, eyes and wings etc, ground up then covered in batter or breadcrumbs, I feel sick describing them the same with beef burgers. At least when I eat a steak or chicken breast I know what part of the animal it came from and Im not putting crap in my mouth.

I noticed in your diet, that your pwo nutrition included whey AND glutamine. You might wanna read the sticky in diet forums "The cutting primer". Alot of good info there. Here is a quote from it.
"Glutamine: Helps prevent catabolism when cutting. Best used in dosages of 10grams daily, 5 grams before cardio, 5 grams at another interval, but not after workout as it fights for absorption with the glutamine peptides in whey." Good Luck

TransFormation said:
Thanks for the replies everybody!

JayC, I actually bought sirlion patties the other day at the meat market, and yesterday I ate steak kabab, marinated in red wine, and it was absolutely delicious. The butcher by me has all delicious recipes, you could buy chicken meatloaf, chicken or turkey sausage, all lean tasty meats.

Drako, why would you rather chicken breast over burgers? Not that I'm questioning your response, but I'm just curious. I may have to reconsider making chicken burgers my main source of protein, but I just love how those damn things taste lol.

Going to buy some salmon tomorrow, so I could grill it up before my cheat meal tomorrow-which I've been impatiently waiting for all week. Thanks for all the help!

Good man! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Kabab's are pefect, also try teriyaki as well. You'll get the hang of it and pretty soon this will all be second nature. The more goods foods you eat the more your body will grave those foods.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

The diet is going well, and I didn't lose as much strength as I thought I would at the gym. Just got to keep eating, resting up, and training.

Danstile, thanks for the heads up, I will check out that thread.

Suareezay, you mention to eat fruit, but I figured because of the GI index for fruit, that would not go well for cutting. Sometimes I would eat an apple pre-workout, considering the GI index is low, but would eating a banana here and there for potassium, so I don't cramp up during cardio/squats, be okay?

My cheat meal was great by the way, I order fried oysters, then ate a rib eye steak with gorgonzola cheese, and some potatoes and carrots, with two glasses of red wine. Looking forward to next Saturday's cheat meal.

TransFormation said:
Suareezay, you mention to eat fruit, but I figured because of the GI index for fruit, that would not go well for cutting. Sometimes I would eat an apple pre-workout, considering the GI index is low, but would eating a banana here and there for potassium, so I don't cramp up during cardio/squats, be okay?
dont get too hung up on GI. obviously I wouldnt eat smarties and pixie stix all day, but things like fruit and milk, that are banished from most idiotic "you must suffer to lose fat" diets are completely fine - in the end its the overall calories that count.

the idea behind the fruit, besides the obvious health benefits, is to keep the liver glycogen levels full (which the fructose in fruit does). the liver plays a big role in your overall level of anabolism, so you generally dont want it depleted.

plus fruit is quite sweet and tasty, so its like a mini healthy cheat and kinda helps you stay on track, same as diet soda.

Back