Implants, thoughts from those who have them please!

Taena

Now that I am done having kids I am thinking about getting a boob job. Anybody have any experience? What should I look for in a MD? What questions should I ask? What is the surgery like? The recovery? What do you know now that you wish you had known before the surgery? Do they get in the way of training? Can you train chest as hard as before implants? Any tips would be so very much appreciated.

I'm sure a lot of women on here would be able to help you with this. Mrs. Puddles for one... good luck on finding an answer and welcome! :)

Taena said:
Now that I am done having kids I am thinking about getting a boob job. Anybody have any experience? What should I look for in a MD? What questions should I ask? What is the surgery like? The recovery? What do you know now that you wish you had known before the surgery? Do they get in the way of training? Can you train chest as hard as before implants? Any tips would be so very much appreciated.

Took me about 4 months before could comfortably train chest again. I went to a local plastic surgeon that alot of my friends went to. All of them will give you a free consultation and then at that time, look through their portfolio of photos of past breast augmentations and see if you're pleased with the results.

It's been so long now (10+ years) I can't remember everything in detail, other than I was in pain like hell (went under the muscle) and was kinda nauseous from the anesthesia.

Make DAMNED SURE you go big enough the first time around; a few of my friends were too conservative and ended up doing this procedure twice. I fortunately, learned from their mistakes and went for it (and I'm happy I did).

I was up and (painfully) around in about 3 days and also took a shower. You'll have to wear a special bra/harness that they will supply you for a while (can't remember how long).

As I've stated, it's been 10+ years and I have never had any problems with them at all. I train chest just as heavy (and even heavier) than I did in the past. Aside from the occasional "jumping" (due to the contractions of the pecs), I have to say that "it's all good."

Hope this info helps...

my wife had it done... i think the two most important things to consider are whether or not you are at your ideal weight... if you are then get the size you want... if you want to lose more fat then go a little bigger than you want because if you ever lose the weight then your boobs will be smaller than you wanted and you will be somewhat disappointed... second is get referrals from friends and or someone that has had it done and will show you their boobs... it is amazing the difference that a good surgeon will make.. my wifes doctor has been doing 2 a day for almost 30 years.. hers are not even a year old and i swear you can't even see the scar at all unless you really look hard and it is under the fold of the breast..they are perfectly even (they weren't before surgery) and the nipples point in the right direction..

feel free to ask any more questions, i consider myself to be somewhat of a boob expert because of all of the research i did before my wife had it done not to mention that my sister, sister-in-law, and 4 of my really close friends have all had it done also... all from the same doctor $4000 flat fee... that includes everything including any follow up appointments or if you ever get the flat tire..

I just wonder if the pain is any worse than drug free childbirth. I am sqeamish about pain but think that I can handle it if it is the same or less. Thanks 'workinonit' for the fat loss tip, I never would have thought of that.

The pain sucks, it lasts longer than childbirth, but it's worth it! I'm 2 months post op (under the muscle, 450 cc's, round high profile) and it's still uncomfortable sleeping at night and kinda painful when I get up in the morning. The pain is now localized to the underside where the muscle was cut. I also had a lift with mine...not doing well with the lift but that's because I got a staph infection and my body rejected the disolvable stitches. My lift is gonna be re-done. The implants have dropped as far as they're gonna drop and they're nice and even now...for a few weeks one was a little higher than the other...that's normal. We've been doing implant massage daily...I think that really helped.

I think one of the best ways to find a good doctor is to simply ask around. If you see a woman who's obviously had them done and you like them, ask her which doctor she went to and if she was happy with the experience. Women are usually pretty good about talking about this stuff. I asked around at my gym mostly. By word of mouth I found out who to avoid and who was recommended. I met with the doc and saw pleanty of before/after photo's. One doctor I went to said that due to patient confidentiality he couldn't show me pics...I later found out that he messed up two of my friends. One of your decisions will be what kind of implants to get and weather you will want over's or unders. I strongly recommend under the muscle...your future mamograms will be clear, you won't risk your breasts sagging from the implants, and they will look more natural (you won't see any bag seams or rippling).

Some good websites are:

http://www.allaboutplasticsurgery.com

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/

http://www.implantinfo.com/

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/public_education/procedures/AugmentationMammoplasty.cfm

http://www.floridacosmeticsurg.com/augmentation/breastaug.html

You asked...

What should I look for in a MD?

Make sure you go to a few doctors and get a feel for them. Your instincts will probably be right. Maybe find out what percentage of his operations are what you are going in for. Many plastic surgeons do implants...some specialize in them. Like I said...ask around for recommendations of local doctors...don't just use the phone book.

What questions should I ask?

I forget all of the questions I asked...the websites above will give you pleanty of ideas though! You'll probably learn more about implant surgery from the internet than you can at any one doctor's office.

What is the surgery like?

It depends on what kind of implants you have done and what kind of incision. If you do go under the muscle, you'll be in a lot more pain when you wake up from surgery, that's for sure! There will be some pre-op paperwork, meeting with the anestesiologist, etc. You'll have to remove all body jewelry, nothing to eat or drink from midnight the night before. You will probably be put on an antibiotic before and after surgery for a few days. I woke up from surgery and it felt like someone had dislocated my shoulder and I had awful pain going down that arm...later I was told that the doctor had a hard time fitting the implant in under the muscle on that side. That pain was worse during the first 48 hrs than the implant pain itself.

The recovery?

Recovery is pretty hard the first few days and nights. I think I slept maybe 2 hrs. at a time. You will sleep propped up for a few weeks. I showered the day after surgery...actually, the night I was home from surgery I was outside walking around and visiting with my neighbor. I'm stubborn and didn't want anything to keep me down. LOL I was in pain though for a good 2 weeks. Texgrl had warned me NOT to let the pain meds wear off for the first week...she was very right. LOL A couple of times I woke up and the meds had worn off...I couldn't even open the bottle myself...had to wake up my husband to get my pill. Oh...it was a good 2 weeks before I could open a medicine bottle myself...I should have just left it open! I had to go to the doctor a week post op for him to change the tapes on my sutures, then a week later for the tape to come off (I assume this is because of the lift incisions, don't know what it's like for others). I didn't have to wear any special garments post-op. I did wear a sports bra that zippered open in the front and tank tops with shelf bras. It's very difficult to get into normal clothes. You'll have pain when you stretch your arms back to put on a jacket. Weeks later you will still have shooting pains that feel like electrical shocks...mine went right to my nipple and nearly knocked me down a few times. You probably won't be able to wear a regular bra for about 6 weeks. Most women can go back to work a week after surgery.

What do you know now that you wish you had known before the surgery?

That I should have left the medicine bottle open! LOL Also, since I had an infection, I would suggest getting a culture done right away if you wind up with infection....otherwise it's just a longer, more painful recovery until they get it under control. A culture will show what kind of infection you've got (I had staph) and a second part of the culture will show what antibiotics work best on it. This process takes a solid week to complete.

Do they get in the way of training?

Initially they do. You'll be weaker and in some pain, but eventually your strength will return.

Can you train chest as hard as before implants?

Supposedly you can. I haven't reached that stage yet...actually I still haven't trained chest at all yet. Even back work is still kinda weak because it involves the pec muscles a lot.

Thanks 'MrsPuddlesFL' for all that great information and for the frank answers about the pain. Honestly, that is what is holding me back the most!

i went under the muscle, had the surgery on a thursday, and was back at work the following wednesday, so i took just a few days off. i had very little pain after the first 4 or 5 days, except at night, when they tended to swell more. I think implants alone with no lift is going to be less painful as a whole. for me, the pain was much less than childbirth

Anyone else have this happen...after I got the implants, shaving under my arms has become harder...my armpit goes in much deeper because the pec muscle is pushed out more...does this happen to all under's or maybe it's just because I got the high profile? I have to use a shower mirror to see when I'm shaving now. LOL

Implants

Heyas,

I had my implants done two years ago in Toronto by Dr. Levine. I chose to go over the muscle, which I was told was better if you trained in any sports – since then I’ve heard various arguments against OM implants.

Anyway, I went 600cc, OM, saline. After the swelling went down (2 months for me) the first thought I had was I should have gone bigger. Today they seemed to have shrunk but I have put on some weight. I intend to get larger implants (800-1000cc) by the end of the year.

Depending on your frame, don’t be afraid to go a bit bigger. 600cc first brought me to a DD cup-size and now I’m a large D. I was so afraid that it would look silly, but it didn’t. Mine actually look very natural. Overfilling also makes a huge difference. I don’t think mine were overfilled enough – they were 600cc OF’d to 625 – they should be overfilled to at least 10% of the original size. This creates projection.

As for surgery and recovery, the first three days were awful– but tolerable. You’ll have to keep a sports support bra on for at least a week. After three weeks most of the pain should subside. I did notice it was comfortable to lift things over my head for about a month. The sites listed my Mrs.P are very good and show before and after photos – also read the stories – (Implant Info is the best IMHO.)

Best of Luck,

Lucy B.

Ive had mine done a year and a half ago. My doctor was somewhat conservative but he is very good and I was really small-trainer bra small. He said he couldnt guarentee scars or stretchmarks- everyone is different. I made sure to stretch my skin & boobs weeks before the surgery to get them more elastic. Try to avoid lotions with firming complex or vitamin e in them- this will make the skin tighter- not good when you want it to stretch. I had a month off only because I worked in a factory and they wouldnt let me be on light duty if it wasnt work related. So I had to be pretty much 100% before I came back. I was about 80-90 when I did.
I went under the muscle. Its much more natural looking, and even some women with them under the muscle have 'rippling' so going over pretty much guarentees it to happen. Im only 380cc- a 370 overfilled.
My doc said he had 2 kinds to choose from- one made of normal shell filled with saline- the other with a tighter shell filled with saline. He opted me for the 2nd. He said since I was a lifter and had a tighter upper body it would look more porportionate- if they were real they would be firm like that. So many people tell me how they look real. they dont sag yet they dont sit way up high either.
Iam going to have mine done again since I do want more size, not much, but half the shirts I wear you cant tell I have anything wonderful going on unless its a tight shirt. I paid 4000 I figure in the winter I should still be able to tell I have them. He said the 2nd time around is much less painfull- the 'pocket' is already there. Im currently a big B small c. I can wear a C but I 'fall into a B. My naturall boobs pointed out slightly. So what I hate is that they feel like they are in my armpit more than on my chest. In my before pics tho that is where they were headed. I want bigger only cuz I want BOOBS not TITS. I want to even out my stocky lower half a little more- I want people to be able to tell I have a chest not me wearing skimpy clothes for them to see them, and last but not least If they are going to point out then I can maybe get some cleavage by adding more even though itll still put more in my armpits. I get kinda down when I see average-boob sized girls who didnt pay a dime -and have nicer boobs than me. I wont go any bigger than a small D. That would be too much for me.
YES< when you get boobs its harder to shave your armpits. Mine especially since they are in my pits. The 'cave' is steeper than usual so its hard to get right by the part between your boob and pit. So what I do- I pull on my boob with that arm that Im shaving and I can usually get it. So if its my right armpit- I pull my boob to my chest with my Right hand and hold it while I shave with my left hand..
Your first day will be scary and painfull but like child birth - you'll live and the good outcome is worth it.I felt like I was constantly having mini heart attacks from the muscles spazing and the meds wearing off. I was coming off morphing and couldnt have my painpills until 500pm- I was in at 6am - surgery at 7- recovery at 845- and at the hotel by 10am. so 10am - 5 -I was just waitin......I kept asking my BF- what time is it? what time is it. I had the itchies all over from the iodine and morphine. Used salad prongs to itch my face- the BF had to get all the rest- and it was like every 5 minutes- poor boy. I threw up once- when we got to the hotel the morning of, and a day later from just nausiousness. My doc gave me suppositories and I was like no way! but the next day I was like- give em to me! I dont care! The ride home was 45 minutes of hell. Thank god my friend told me to take a pillow for the ride. EVERY little bump hit like a train! I was a cry baby by the time I got home. And my BF was like ' you knew this would happen' And Im bawling like" I know (sniffle) but it still hurts, but I have BOOBs now! so Ill live! ( sniffle)" it was funny. When I got home it was 10 times better. Walked slow like an old lady, slept strait-sitting-up for a month, had to slide off the couch to get down, had to get a convertable shower head to shower easier and couldnt reach for stuff and had to wear zip up clothes ect. All in all , You quickly forget how bad the pain was cuz like my nurse said' everyday you feel 10 times better than the day before and you'll forget how weak you really are cuz you feel that more improved.' so yes I will do it again. Ask ?'s and just dont get too impatient but dont get scared- you'll be fine.

My wife wants to get them once we are done having kids. I was under the impression that you can get them "installed" and still breast feed?

They no longer use silicone right? Are there a lot of people that have gotten saline implants that have had trouble like those with silicone?

Just curious.

they still use silicone. I just got mine done In november and i got Silicone. I got over the muscle and i was not in ANY pain at all!

Silicone is still used but not by all doctors and they're picky about who they will use them on. The newer silicone implants are made with a thicker shell than the old ones so leaking should not be a problem. If saline leaks your body just absorbs it without any problems...you just need to go and get the old one out and a new one in. If you're going over the muscle, silicone will definitely make a difference in the way they feel...they'll be more natural to the touch. If you go over the muscle with saline you risk seeing bag marks unless they're overfilled which will make them harder and less natural feeling. I went under the muscle and had pleanty of natural boobage so I stuck with saline and mine still feel and look natty even with the implants being overfilled. In a few weeks I'm going in for a re-do on the lift to make them a little higher and to get rid of scars I got from infection. The infection caused capsular contraction on the left side so he's gotta cut into the muscle again, damnit!

I had two kinds of infection. Staph infection in the left breast which caused the capsular contracture (it's mild but still painful) was finally diagnosed and treated but it took about 6 weeks from the time the culture was taken until I finished antibiotics and that infection was gone. I was on both oral and IV antibiotics to knock out the staph. The other problem I had was a reaction to the stitches (keep in mind that I had a lift done so there were a lot of stitches), my body rejected them and little infected spots developed and the undesolved stitches popped out...the infections were reoccuring for 6 months post-op. The re-do will be done with different sutures, non desolving and they are pre-treated with an antibiotic so this won't happen again.

Back