in need of diet critique

thin4real

Hey ladies! Not sure if I am posting in the right spot but here goes...

I am 5'6'' 177lbs @24%bf. I have been training for years just to lose weight. I have lost the weight and now trying to tighten everything up. I started 5mg ED of Anavar (var) and need to know if my current diet and exercise regimine are adequate so I get the most out of my cycle. I eat clean and train hard but I am somewhat of a perfectionist and since I introduced a new component to my routine I want to do it to the fullest.

My goal is to drop more bf and sculpt my physique. If I get good results I am going to look further into figure competing.

Current training is:
Mon- am,empty stomach,high intensity circuit training BootCamp program 1hr AND in the pm Legs in the evening with my bf
Tues-shoulders
Wed-am, same as Mon and pm w/o bi's and tri's
Thurs-back
Fri-same as Mon/Wed am AND chest in the pm
Sat off
Sun-off

Diet is @ 1200-1500 cal with aver. 40/30/30
Pro/carb/fat @ 170gms pro, 125grm carbs, 45grm fat(healthy fats avacado,olive oil,ect)
Foods consisting of turkey, chicken,pb,whey protien,egg whites,fat free milk,greek yogurt,cheese, veggies, ect..

I have lost over 100 pounds in the last 1 1/2 years by eating clean(no alcohol) and exercising hard. Now I want to change my goals.

Do I change my diet to get cut while taking the Anavar (var) ? I will be increasing to 10mg ED for the next 8 weeks and want to keep my diet in check. Any suggestions? Need guidence on the boards too, I'm new to the boards. My bf introduced me to them when I explained to him my goals.

Please help. Thanks

I actually had the same question. I am 5'5" and weigh 140lb at 21% body fat. my diet is at 1650cal at 40-40-20. I would love to sculpt and get a more leaner physique.
I have been excercising for the past 3 years and tried different diets including low carb, whcih I found did some but I had no energy and I sound I depleted my glycogen levels and not actually lost fat. Basically when I went back to eating carbs there was some change in the BF% but not much.
I recently inroduced Anavar (var) (10 days ago) and was also wondering about my diet to get the most benefit. Should I try something different, maybe a lower carb again for only 3-4 weeks while on var?

I do have one comments for you thin4real, I found myself being in caloric deficit for too long, and that may be the cause that you are not loosing the weight. Before I started taking var, I found myself excercising and still not loosing, so I decided to eat a little more. with a help of a nutritionist I know, I was eating 1900-2000 cal a day, and excercising (weights but less cardio). I did this for 3 weeks and did gain some weight (mostly water due to eating more carbs). I felt great, I excercised, I had so much energy! Then I went back to eating 1500-1600 cal I started loosing weight and it helped me gain more muscle and loose fat. Basically your body needs a rest once in a while and you need to eat. maybe you can have one carb up day (where you do not eat as much fat but more carbs and protein) so that your metabolism doesn't slow down.

Since I excercise a lot, 6 days a week (cardio+weight+conditioning+yoga) i find myself being hugry with the calories I eat, with tons of energy for my workout but being undable to give it my all since I feel hungry. So I am inroduced 2 days where I eat extra 200 cal (from 1650 to 1900). the extra is in the morning and in my recovery drink, and it comes from carbs. I feel its what my body needs and it feels really good.

What I learned from other people is that you have to listen to your body. If you are really tired, to not excercise, rest that day, because you will do more danage than good. if you are really hungry have a day where you will eat a little more. You will not gain weight from one day of healty eating (lean protein, and complex carbs). It serve as fuel to your muscles and you will feel good.

This is what I found is working for me currently. I am not however sure how my body will react to var, and is I should maybe lower my carbs a bit, since while on it your body will hold on to the muscle. I have a new meal plan which consists of 1450 cal (low carb) but that means that I will not be able to excercise as much as I do and my body will need more time to recover.
I would give you more advice if I knew more how the body reacts to var, but I am not sure. There is this great book about eating, its from a professional body builder, and he said that if you do nof feed your muscle you will not loose the fat. somethimes if you are eating too little for a long time, you are slowing down your metabolism and you will not loose weight. Do you feel hungry all the time?

I wish I can help you more with the whole diet thing but I am in the same place as you. And I am also hoping to get an answer to my questions as well. I do hope some of it helps for the future, and If you want more details I can give them to you.

Hey ladies! Not sure if I am posting in the right spot but here goes...

I am 5'6'' 177lbs @24%bf. I have been training for years just to lose weight. I have lost the weight and now trying to tighten everything up. I started 5mg ED of Anavar (var) and need to know if my current diet and exercise regimine are adequate so I get the most out of my cycle. I eat clean and train hard but I am somewhat of a perfectionist and since I introduced a new component to my routine I want to do it to the fullest.

My goal is to drop more bf and sculpt my physique. If I get good results I am going to look further into figure competing.

Current training is:
Mon- am,empty stomach,high intensity circuit training BootCamp program 1hr AND in the pm Legs in the evening with my bf
Tues-shoulders
Wed-am, same as Mon and pm w/o bi's and tri's
Thurs-back
Fri-same as Mon/Wed am AND chest in the pm
Sat off
Sun-off

Diet is @ 1200-1500 cal with aver. 40/30/30
Pro/carb/fat @ 170gms pro, 125grm carbs, 45grm fat(healthy fats avacado,olive oil,ect)
Foods consisting of turkey, chicken,pb,whey protien,egg whites,fat free milk,greek yogurt,cheese, veggies, ect..

I have lost over 100 pounds in the last 1 1/2 years by eating clean(no alcohol) and exercising hard. Now I want to change my goals.

Do I change my diet to get cut while taking the var? I will be increasing to 10mg ED for the next 8 weeks and want to keep my diet in check. Any suggestions? Need guidence on the boards too, I'm new to the boards. My bf introduced me to them when I explained to him my goals.

Please help. Thanks

Welcome ! Thin4Life :)

Congrats on your weight loss, 100 lbs in
1 1/2 is amazing !
You are 5'6 and your weight is 177, I think you are not eating enough if your diet is 1,200 cals, by not eating enough, you won't loose weight or add muscle.

Remember Anavar (var) is not a fat burner, AAS should be used primarly to add muscle.

I usually eat an average 1,500-1,700 cals, I'm 5'5 1/2 and weigh 124 lbs.

You should check out our diet forum, there are some really good stikys there that have a ton of useful information.

Maybe you can also add a fat burner, for me I used Need2Slin from NeedToBuildMuscle, I ran it for 7 weeks and got some really good results.

Best of luck 2 u !! ;)

Last edited:
I actually had the same question. I am 5'5" and weigh 140lb at 21% body fat. my diet is at 1650cal at 40-40-20. I would love to sculpt and get a more leaner physique.
I have been excercising for the past 3 years and tried different diets including low carb, whcih I found did some but I had no energy and I sound I depleted my glycogen levels and not actually lost fat. Basically when I went back to eating carbs there was some change in the BF% but not much.
I recently inroduced Anavar (var) (10 days ago) and was also wondering about my diet to get the most benefit. Should I try something different, maybe a lower carb again for only 3-4 weeks while on var?

I do have one comments for you thin4real, I found myself being in caloric deficit for too long, and that may be the cause that you are not loosing the weight. Before I started taking var, I found myself excercising and still not loosing, so I decided to eat a little more. with a help of a nutritionist I know, I was eating 1900-2000 cal a day, and excercising (weights but less cardio). I did this for 3 weeks and did gain some weight (mostly water due to eating more carbs). I felt great, I excercised, I had so much energy! Then I went back to eating 1500-1600 cal I started loosing weight and it helped me gain more muscle and loose fat. Basically your body needs a rest once in a while and you need to eat. maybe you can have one carb up day (where you do not eat as much fat but more carbs and protein) so that your metabolism doesn't slow down.

Since I excercise a lot, 6 days a week (cardio+weight+conditioning+yoga) i find myself being hugry with the calories I eat, with tons of energy for my workout but being undable to give it my all since I feel hungry. So I am inroduced 2 days where I eat extra 200 cal (from 1650 to 1900). the extra is in the morning and in my recovery drink, and it comes from carbs. I feel its what my body needs and it feels really good.

What I learned from other people is that you have to listen to your body. If you are really tired, to not excercise, rest that day, because you will do more danage than good. if you are really hungry have a day where you will eat a little more. You will not gain weight from one day of healty eating (lean protein, and complex carbs). It serve as fuel to your muscles and you will feel good.

This is what I found is working for me currently. I am not however sure how my body will react to var, and is I should maybe lower my carbs a bit, since while on it your body will hold on to the muscle. I have a new meal plan which consists of 1450 cal (low carb) but that means that I will not be able to excercise as much as I do and my body will need more time to recover.
I would give you more advice if I knew more how the body reacts to var, but I am not sure. There is this great book about eating, its from a professional body builder, and he said that if you do nof feed your muscle you will not loose the fat. somethimes if you are eating too little for a long time, you are slowing down your metabolism and you will not loose weight. Do you feel hungry all the time?

I wish I can help you more with the whole diet thing but I am in the same place as you. And I am also hoping to get an answer to my questions as well. I do hope some of it helps for the future, and If you want more details I can give them to you.

Welcome Sivanovi ! :)

I agree with you 100 %, you should always listen to your body, I don't do so good with a super low carb diet, It looks like you are doing what you know works for u.

Good luck to u ! ;)

Mrs P

I actually have a quick question for you. Do you think with your experience I should try and maybe lower my calories while on Anavar (var), since I will not loose my muscle?

I do feel good like this, but I want to get the most benefit, and the most weight loss while on my cycle? I have included my weight and calories in my previous message.

Thanks a lot!

Mrs P

I actually have a quick question for you. Do you think with your experience I should try and maybe lower my calories while on Anavar (var), since I will not loose my muscle?

I do feel good like this, but I want to get the most benefit, and the most weight loss while on my cycle? I have included my weight and calories in my previous message.

Thanks a lot!

Sivanovi,

Could be tricky to advise you what the exact amount of cals you should be eating, That really depends on currect BF, genetics, training intensity, amt of cardio, activity level, hormone levels, sleep, diet, water intake, etc ..... Cutting it is easier to give a ballpark.

In general, to cut, it should be 10-12xBW. To gain muscle, prob at least 15xBW.

At 140 lbs you want to be at 1,400-1,680,
for me I notice that if I lower my carbs, and re feed on 7th day, I have good results.
So I think you should reduce your carbs & increase the protein.. How many grams of carbs are you eating ?

I haven't done var,but I've read a lot about it, I think your diet seems to be pretty much in check.

Let me know how Anavar (var) works for you.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Sivanovi,

Could be tricky to advise you what the exact amount of cals you should be eating, That really depends on currect BF, genetics, training intensity, amt of cardio, activity level, hormone levels, sleep, diet, water intake, etc ..... Cutting it is easier to give a ballpark.

In general, to cut, it should be 10-12xBW. To gain muscle, prob at least 15xBW.

At 140 lbs you want to be at 1,400-1,680,
for me I notice that if I lower my carbs, and re feed on 7th day, I have good results.
So I think you should reduce your carbs & increase the protein.. How many grams of carbs are you eating ?

I haven't done var,but I've read a lot about it, I think your diet seems to be pretty much in check.

Let me know how Anavar (var) works for you.

Good luck ;)

First of all Mrs P thanks for your fast reply. I really appreciate it.

I am 5`5`` 141 lb and 21% body fat, and am 27 years old. I would like to be at 12-15% eventually. Not concerned how much I am going to weigh since muscle is heavier than fat.
I am currently eating
148g protein
160g carbs (this includes the carbs in vegetables as well as complex carbohydrates, and the carbs in my post workout drink, and I use dextrose).
40g fat. A total of 1660 cal.

my workouts are 3 days split body weights
-push (chest, shoulder, tricep) + cardio
-legs (weights)
- pull (back, back shoulder, biceps) + cardio
-legs (plyo jumping, intense workouts no weights) + total body (clean+press, etc)+ core ( I also try do add some low intensity cardio here)
- Yoga + cardio
- Conditioning training ( I time myself and always try to beat the scores, and always increasing weight or number or reps)

I have a heart rate monitor which I calibrated for my body (by using my resting heart rate, age, weight, etc) and I always monitor my heart rate. I also check the total calories burned at the end of my workout and it turns out to be between 600cal (for the day when I do legs) to 850-900 cal when I do legs+ total body. So basically the minimum amount of calories I burn in one workout is 600 and max so far is 900 cal (here I was getting really hungry and I couldn't work out any more).

Basically I feel really hungry all the time. I know that I am in caloric deficit and that's supposed to be normal, but I come to that point when I cannot finish my workouts because I am so hungry. It is also hard since I work 7-4 and work out after work. I am not tired necessarily, but I usually work out after not so large a meal. I was actually looking into coming to work later and working out in the morning before work.

So thats a sum up of what I am doing. I have this low carb diet, but that means that I will not be able to exercise like I usually do and I am not sure I want to go that road. But I also want to get the most out of my Anavar (var) cycle. It has been 2 weeks now. I do have some water retention, but only 3 lb which is normal. No other side effects except for restless sleep, and I am drinking this tea called `organic sweet dreams`to help me with that. Other than that I feel good just hungry. What I have been doing is INCREASING my carbs one day, and decreasing my fat, to carb load a little. I feel great that day have tons of energy and feel full.
I just started my cycle, so now I want to see how I feel in a couple more weeks. I know I cannot loose muscle on Anavar (var), and I want to get leaner as well. I really do not like low carb diets, a person who exercises is not supposed to eat like that, at least I think so.

Mrs P please tell me what you think. Thanks for everything

sivanovi

First of all Mrs P thanks for your fast reply. I really appreciate it.

I am 5`5`` 141 lb and 21% body fat, and am 27 years old. I would like to be at 12-15% eventually. Not concerned how much I am going to weigh since muscle is heavier than fat.
I am currently eating
148g protein
160g carbs (this includes the carbs in vegetables as well as complex carbohydrates, and the carbs in my post workout drink, and I use dextrose).
40g fat. A total of 1660 cal.

my workouts are 3 days split body weights
-push (chest, shoulder, tricep) + cardio
-legs (weights)
- pull (back, back shoulder, biceps) + cardio
-legs (plyo jumping, intense workouts no weights) + total body (clean+press, etc)+ core ( I also try do add some low intensity cardio here)
- Yoga + cardio
- Conditioning training ( I time myself and always try to beat the scores, and always increasing weight or number or reps)

I have a heart rate monitor which I calibrated for my body (by using my resting heart rate, age, weight, etc) and I always monitor my heart rate. I also check the total calories burned at the end of my workout and it turns out to be between 600cal (for the day when I do legs) to 850-900 cal when I do legs+ total body. So basically the minimum amount of calories I burn in one workout is 600 and max so far is 900 cal (here I was getting really hungry and I couldn't work out any more).

Basically I feel really hungry all the time. I know that I am in caloric deficit and that's supposed to be normal, but I come to that point when I cannot finish my workouts because I am so hungry. It is also hard since I work 7-4 and work out after work. I am not tired necessarily, but I usually work out after not so large a meal. I was actually looking into coming to work later and working out in the morning before work.

So thats a sum up of what I am doing. I have this low carb diet, but that means that I will not be able to exercise like I usually do and I am not sure I want to go that road. But I also want to get the most out of my Anavar (var) cycle. It has been 2 weeks now. I do have some water retention, but only 3 lb which is normal. No other side effects except for restless sleep, and I am drinking this tea called `organic sweet dreams`to help me with that. Other than that I feel good just hungry. What I have been doing is INCREASING my carbs one day, and decreasing my fat, to carb load a little. I feel great that day have tons of energy and feel full.
I just started my cycle, so now I want to see how I feel in a couple more weeks. I know I cannot loose muscle on Anavar (var), and I want to get leaner as well. I really do not like low carb diets, a person who exercises is not supposed to eat like that, at least I think so.

Mrs P please tell me what you think. Thanks for everything

sivanovi

How are you spliting your meals ?
I understand how difficult it could be to prepare meals for work & try to eat every 3-4 hours, I did this myself for years when I worked.

But you really have to try to eat every 3-4 hours.
I'm always concerned about the amount of carbs in the protein shakes, so far I found Wheytobuildmuscle, and most of their protein shakes are very low in carbs, the one I take now post-workout only has 4.6 g of carbs, 2 g of fat & 27 g of protein, 100 cals.

Of course you need carbs in order to gain muscle, the trick is providing your body with enough carbs to do this without overdoing it.
Ideally you want a very large portion of these extra carbs to come right around the workout period as this is when your muscles will really suck them up into the cells and create the greatest muscle gain possible.

I tell you from personal experience,
I'm very carb sensitive, I over do it with carbs & I know I'll gain weight... But you're right about your weight, don't be so concerned with the scale, I usually don't weigh my self, I can tell how I'm progressing by looking at my body.

I rather weigh more & look better, than to weigh less & not look so good...lol

You say your burning 600-900 cals,
you usually burn between 8-10 cals per minute while lifting..
I usually burn 300 cals during 30 min of cardio, & then do about 45 min of my lifting routine.

If you are burning that many calories, how long does your workouts last ?

You might be overtraining, I know some might not agree with me, but I don't think you need all that time in the gym.

If you feel hungry all the time, then your body is asking you for fuel... dieting & training take dedication, but you have to listen to your body, if your burning 900 cal and only consuming 1400/ 1600 cals than your not eating enough.

Why don't you start logging in everything you eat in (fitday.com) & count how many cals/fat/carbs/pr) you're eating.

You can open your own thread if you like and get advise from different members, you can also post your training routine, like weight intensity, reps & cardio routine.

Let me know if I can help u with anything else ! :)

Last edited:
How are you spliting your meals ?
I understand how difficult it could be to prepare meals for work & try to eat every 3-4 hours, I did this myself for years when I worked.

But you really have to try to eat every 3-4 hours.
I'm always concerned about the amount of carbs in the protein shakes, so far I found Wheytobuildmuscle, and most of their protein shakes are very low in carbs, the one I take now post-workout only has 4.6 g of carbs, 2 g of fat & 27 g of protein, 100 cals.

Of course you need carbs in order to gain muscle, the trick is providing your body with enough carbs to do this without overdoing it.
Ideally you want a very large portion of these extra carbs to come right around the workout period as this is when your muscles will really suck them up into the cells and create the greatest muscle gain possible.

I tell you from personal experience,
I'm very carb sensitive, I over do it with carbs & I know I'll gain weight... But you're right about your weight, don't be so concerned with the scale, I usually don't weigh my self, I can tell how I'm progressing by looking at my body.

I rather weigh more & look better, than to weigh less & not look so good...lol

You say your burning 600-900 cals,
you usually burn between 8-10 cals per minute while lifting..
I usually burn 300 cals during 30 min of cardio, & then do about 45 min of my lifting routine.

If you are burning that many calories, how long does your workouts last ?

You might be overtraining, I know some might not agree with me, but I don't think you need all that time in the gym.

If you feel hungry all the time, then your body is asking you for fuel... dieting & training take dedication, but you have to listen to your body, if your burning 900 cal and only consuming 1400/ 1600 cals than your not eating enough.

Why don't you start logging in everything you eat in (fitday.com) & count how many cals/fat/carbs/pr) you're eating.

You can open your own thread if you like and get advise from different members, you can also post your training routine, like weight intensity, reps & cardio routine.

Let me know if I can help u with anything else ! :)

Hi Mrs P

This was more than helpful.

I actually do prepare meals for the day, weight everything and bring it to work. I prepare enough food to eat every 3-4h (usually 3 since I do get hungry around that time). I also brink amino acids and drink then before my workout.
I dont train that hard, I think is just enough. Sometimes I do feel that maybe I am training a little too hard for the amount of food, but other than that I am not overtraining. I do about 1h weights+30 min cardio. Which I do not think is very long. I burn more calories by going from one body part to the other when I train. and cardio after weights is usually stready statem since I do have 2 days where its all high intensity total body training.

Think I am carb sensitive too. I just didnt find the right amount for me. My breakfast is probably the largest meal because I feel my body needs the food in the morning. When I was not working it was really easy for me I had a good breakfast, train, post workout drink, a good lunch, good dinner usually with less carbs before I go to bed and more protein and fat, and snacks of course. Now I cannot follow that plan anymore.

My boyfriend has this program "calorie king" and I developed my meal plan according to that. It shows all the calories+fat+protein+carbs. and I as mentioned I weight all my portions and prepare for work.
I will go on the website you told me about. going to go back to the drawing board, recalculate everything and see what happens.

Your response was amazing btw! Thank you for everything.

sivanovi

Hi Mrs P

This was more than helpful.

I actually do prepare meals for the day, weight everything and bring it to work. I prepare enough food to eat every 3-4h (usually 3 since I do get hungry around that time). I also brink amino acids and drink then before my workout.
I dont train that hard, I think is just enough. Sometimes I do feel that maybe I am training a little too hard for the amount of food, but other than that I am not overtraining. I do about 1h weights+30 min cardio. Which I do not think is very long. I burn more calories by going from one body part to the other when I train. and cardio after weights is usually stready statem since I do have 2 days where its all high intensity total body training.

Think I am carb sensitive too. I just didnt find the right amount for me. My breakfast is probably the largest meal because I feel my body needs the food in the morning. When I was not working it was really easy for me I had a good breakfast, train, post workout drink, a good lunch, good dinner usually with less carbs before I go to bed and more protein and fat, and snacks of course. Now I cannot follow that plan anymore.

My boyfriend has this program "calorie king" and I developed my meal plan according to that. It shows all the calories+fat+protein+carbs. and I as mentioned I weight all my portions and prepare for work.
I will go on the website you told me about. going to go back to the drawing board, recalculate everything and see what happens.

Your response was amazing btw! Thank you for everything.

sivanovi

Your welcome Sinovi.

For me is easier since I don't work, so I have breakfast, workout, post workout drink & continue with my meals throughout the day.. like u were doing before u started working..

you are very dedicated, it takes a lot of preparation to get all those meals done..good for u !

I think you have a great base already, I'm sure you'll find what the right amount is for you.
once u log everything in that site, u can post it your macros in our diet forum.

Let me know how everything goes for u ;)

Back