Inconsistent Results for Total Testosterone

Hi, 32 year old male here. Hoping some of you can provide some guidance on my situation.

Ive been struggling with low energy, moderate libido, depression, intense brain fog and poor memory for years, however it has all gotten significantly worse over the last 6-12 months. While libido has fallen a bit, I have no erection/performance issues.

On a whim, I recently decided to get my Testosterone checked - it has not previously occurred to me that low T could be an issue due to my age, but after trying most everything else I gave it a shot. Long story short, I've gotten multiple tests done using multiple providers and the results have left me a bit confused due to variability:

Test 1 (borderline): Local Anti-aging clinic focusing on Testosterone therapy
Date 5/12/18
Time 8:30 AM
Total Testosterone 390 ng/dl (350-1000)
Free Testosterone 6.5

Test 2 (low): Low T Center
Date 5/24/18
Time 7:30 AM
Total Testosterone 325ng/dl (350-1000)
Free Unknown

Test 3 (very low): Low T Center (Round 2 - they require two screenings)
Date 5/26/18
Time 8:20 AM
Total Testosterone 299ng/dl (350-1000)
Free Testosterone 4.57
SHBG: 48.2 nmol/l (16.5 - 55.9)
estradiol: 14 pg/ml (7.6 - 42.6)
LH: 7.2 mlU/ml (1.5-12.4)
FSH: 3.1 mlU/ml (1.7-8.6)
TSH: 1.7 ulU/ml (4.5-4.5)
Prolactin: 5.3 ng/ml (4 - 15.2)

Test4 (normal): MD - Urologist
Date 6/8/18
Time 7:15 AM
Total Testosterone 461 ng/dl (280-800)
LH: 9.5 mlU/ml (1.7 - 8.6)
No other metrics

My levels started low, dropped sharply into Test 3 with Low T Centers, then shot back up to extremely normal with the most recent test. Is this type of inconsistency unusual? Should I have my Urologist re-draw and run the test again?

And does anything stand out to anyone regarding my results on tests 1,2 and 3? The only test I rec'd LH and FSH for was test 3 which indicated primary hypo. My SHBG appears to be on the high side as well, thus my very low free T numbers.

Thanks in advance

During my times dealing with endocrinologist labs timing is crucial. An endocrinologist tried to blame my lower levels on the fact the blood was drawn close to 10am. Our bodies quickly use and metabolize testosterone. The same endocrinologist told me we can have evening/night time levels that are as low as 1/2 our morning peak. He demanded my labs be drawn at 7am.

Your SHBG is in the upper end but there seems to be a good variation in men. There are other memebers that know about the differences in SHBG. Being higher isn't necessarily bad unless it has shoved your freeT into the low side.

Your testosterone levels being in the bottom of the range, even if "inside" the ranges, only means you are withing the normal range for 18-80 yr old males roughly. At a TT of 541 I had erection and libido issues. There are age specific ranges. I started a thread about epileptics here and I posted ranges. If you get to my profile and look at threads started it will be there. I haven't started many threads

Curious that the anti-aging and Low T centers come back low, while the urologist not so much. Makes the skeptic in me go hmmmmmmmm?

But skepticism aside, those are probably all the lower spec test for testosterone so there is a band of error, and your levels will naturally bounce around. As said above the timing is important, as would be the amount of sleep, if you worked out or not, what you ate, etc. If you want a better test get the LC/MS version.

Also as said above you can be in range, but be the equivalent of a D student, and/or have symptoms. You've got high LH but lousy testosterone, so you might want to try HCG or clomid mono-therapy for a while to see if you can kick your nuts into a higher gear.

Last edited:
You can test yourself until you turn blue in the face. The question is how do you feel on a day-to-day basis. If you feel like shit, get on TRT. It is a commitment but in your case it is probably worthwhile if you are feeling that bad.

You can test yourself until you turn blue in the face. The question is how do you feel on a day-to-day basis. If you feel like shit, get on TRT. It is a commitment but in your case it is probably worthwhile if you are feeling that bad.

It's another bill and gets old having to do injections, but I will never go back. Ever.

Back