Increased discomfort from smaller needle

Sedg1

I self-injected for the first time this week. Up to now I was getting weekly injections at the doc's. They used a 1.5" 22g needle for the delt. Depending on nurse's skill, I would have no post-injection discomfort at all. To do my own, I tried a 1" 25g needle. I have very little fat over my quads and the needle went in painlessly. But it took about 15 seconds to inject the 150mg. I was surprised at the resistance from the ester. Have injected B12 many times and it is in and out in just 5 secs or so.
I have had injection site pain for two days now. No big deal. But I am wondering why I never had the same kind of pain with the delt pins. Is it the muscle tissue, or the time it takes to deplete the syringe given the thickness of the liquid. Or perhaps I injected too quickly, though it is hard to imagine given the amount of constant pressure I put on the plunger. I think I will try a 22g needle next time. Should lessen the injection time and may better disperse the ester than the 25g as well.
Anyone have a similar experience - smaller needle - post-injection discomfort?

Virgin muscle. It always hurts the first few times you inject a new muscle.

Also, if you have a shaky hand or push them Cyp out too fast that can contribute to PIP.

"Like a virgin, touched for the very first time" .. don't worry , after getting poked over and over again, you'll get plenty used to it and probably won't even get sore anymore.

"Like a virgin, touched for the very first time" .. don't worry , after getting poked over and over again, you'll get plenty used to it and probably won't even get sore anymore.

This advice makes me a feel a little uncomfortable :) lol

Last edited:
Likely has more to do with the injection site rather than the change in needle size. Many people experience intense PIP when starting quad injections.

I was the same way. Delts and glutes were no problem, but when I started adding quads to my rotation it took awhile for them to be painless.

I have found my quads have many more nerves that I hit as well as many more blood vessels and capillary's. MY right quad always is an ouch and some blood. I haven't found the right spot with the right hand quad. The left not so much, now why that is :dunno: but no matter no worries I just don't hit it. My left not really a problem, just once in a while. For me I just don't like quads.

Oh 22G 1-1/2" ouch I used to do that but ONLY in glute muscle. I now use 23G 1" for oil base.

I use 25G 5/8" for my delts but usually that's water base.

You get used to it all no matter where you inject. Not a sport for kids. Remember no matter what you think or feel you are sticking yourself with a small spike. Think about it. Sometime the issues change. Over the years I've experienced about everything you can imagine and I'm ok.

I get injections straight into my joints. The doc hits everything you can think of, bone cartilage etc.... It hurts like a fvckin bitch but goes away. The ONLY thing to worry about is infection. If that happens you will know it.

I would never suggest 22G in quad. But that's me. :wavey:

Pin virginity is years back in my rear view mirror. Have done years of B12 self injects in the glutes and three years of nurse injections of testosterone in my delts.
The quad injection was my first self-administered cyp pin.
I did not want to mention it before, but since I am among friends, as soon as I pulled the 25g needle out, I noticed hair growing on the palm of my injecting hand. At least, I think it was hair, 'cause soon after, I went blind. I think I need a bigger needle.

Pin virginity is years back in my rear view mirror. Have done years of B12 self injects in the glutes and three years of nurse injections of testosterone in my delts.
I did not want to mention it before, but since I am among friends, as soon as I pulled the 25g needle out, I noticed hair growing on the palm of my injecting hand. At least, I think it was hair, 'cause soon after, I went blind. I think I need a bigger needle.

That wasn't a *pink* "needle" in your hand, now was it? :laugh:

Hormones are a totally different animal than B12 bud. Ever notice how some injections don't hurt at all when growing up, while some are just crippling? (like tetanus) Same thing here (assuming everything else is equal) .

In fact, going bigger is likely going to give you MORE PIP, and lead to scar tissue much faster. :nono: Pin one of your delts, you'll see. :)

My .02c :wiggle:

Well if you pinned your quad for the first time with AAS, then that is a virgin muscle . Does not matter if you've pinned everywhere else,, its the muscle that is effected and gets sore.

I've pinned Lats, Glutes, Quads, Delts for years .. if i decide to pin Pecs for the first time, that will be virgin muscle and will be sore as hell after the first pin until it gets used to it like the other muscle groups have.

But have you pinned quads before?

I've never done pec's and I just can't imagine. It's gotta hurt. Delts are so easy with a 25G.

Pecs are honestly one of the easiest sites. Great visibility, the site is in front and easy to reach - offering stability, and the odds of hurting yourself are pretty slim unless you're like 5% body fat with zero lean mass in the chesticles. :)

I've only pinned 6 times. Quads, glutes and delts. The pain was greatest in that order: quads; limping for 2 days. Glutes; sore but manageable. Delts; nothing.

I would've thought the larger the muscle group, the less the PIP. But based of my limited experience and data set it seems like the smaller muscle groups hurt less. Is this other people's experience as well?

Back