Is Whey Protein Pre-Post Workout Actually Neccessary?????

LongBeach_Patriot

Been taking it for years but I hear a lot of conflicting opinions on whether its actually necessary. I understand it digest faster than whole food protein and helps trigger protein synthesis, but can't simply taking BCAA pre and post trigger the same synthesizing effect and then post workout just have a quality lean protein whole food meal?

Opinions????

Thanks

No its not necessary, I stops drinking shakes altogether a few months back, and have made the best gain I ever have. I have BCAAs during my workout and then as soon as I get home, which is 5 mins after I workout I have usually Talapia or chicken and white rice or potatoes. Shakes and supps are not what gives you muscle, food is what gives you it. I used to have 2 shakes a day, 1 PWO and one either in the AM or before bed, I cut those shakes out and replaced them with whole food meals, way better. I find protein powder curbs my appetite too, and that's not good in my books. If you don't have BCAAs during your workout you can have them immediately PWO and the leucine in it will stimulate the mTOR pathway so it will keep you out of a catabolic state then just make sure soon after you consume so quick whole carbs and quick whole protein followed by another meal a couple hours later consisting of protein and slow digesting carbs and maybe some fats, Ill usually do eggs and Ezekiel bread or steak and yams or beans . This is just what I do anyways.

Last edited:
Good Call, thanks. Going to cut down protein powder and add in more whole food. I always have 10grams bcaa pre and 10grams intra/post workout. I was having a shake immediately post workout but will just wait to get home and have some egg whites instead wish a potato or some oatmeal.

Cool man. I actually get BCAA powder in bulk from either NutraPlanet or HardRhino, which is a privatized company that sells bulk supps and its actually very good quality. They sell mainly on Amazon.com. I got a great deal recently on BPI BestBCAA the other day on Bodybuilding.com (buy 2 get 1 free), and so far its my favorite tasting bcaa and it has some great ingredients and 2:1:1 blend. Since bulk bcaa has no flavor and tastes like ass, I mix the BPI with the Hard Rhino and get a nice tasting inexpensive blend. I dont like getting pills because its way to expensive buying that way and I'm on a nbudget. I spend a lot in general on all my supps and vitamins, so I need to keep my costs down.

Ya BPI makes some good quality, good tasting stuff. If you can get a deal on it then give er, but paying full price for that stuff is a waste of dough, BRI is over priced if Ive ever seen overpriced. Mind you, I don't know many sup companies that aren't over priced. I use Ultimate Nutritions BCAAs 500g $20CAN 2:1:1 ratio. Any BCAA with that ratio will work, the less costly the better IMO. And don't just use them pre intra and post, take them throughout the day with meals as well as in between meals, a lot of people think theyre a waste of money but they are VERY useful, no question about it.

Ya BPI makes some good quality, good tasting stuff. If you can get a deal on it then give er, but paying full price for that stuff is a waste of dough, BRI is over priced if Ive ever seen overpriced. Mind you, I don't know many sup companies that aren't over priced. I use Ultimate Nutritions BCAAs 500g $20CAN 2:1:1 ratio. Any BCAA with that ratio will work, the less costly the better IMO. And don't just use them pre intra and post, take them throughout the day with meals as well as in between meals, a lot of people think theyre a waste of money but they are VERY useful, no question about it.

I agree. And will use them throughout the day most days. I believe in the protein pulsing concept/theory personally.

Ya I can agree with taking Bcaa,s after. But yes eating whole food is always best. As for me, I mainly use powder post work out. Then Bcaa product I use is

Usp Labs-Modern bcaa. Normally just take half serving as a full serving is 15 g

ca.bodybuilding.com/store/usplabs/modern-bcaa-plus.html

I wouldn't say its absolutely necessary but I do feel post workout is the best time to use whey since its fast acting and that's what you want right after working out. This is my favorite whey: Whey to Build Muscle

I think one shake, post workout is useful.

Bcaa"s leave out a lot of amino"s and food can't digest like whey. Even if ur not a fan 20g post WO is useful and will breakdown. 20x faster than whole food.

I think one shake, post workout is useful.

Bcaa"s leave out a lot of amino"s and food can't digest like whey. Even if ur not a fan 20g post WO is useful and will breakdown. 20x faster than whole food.

I have a shake & a hole wheat bagel with natural peanut butter post work out

I think a shake post workout then soon after a meal is best IMO.
i take 3-4 shakes a day + 3-4 meals. works well. dont ignore whole foods, but dont ignore an easy 100g-150g of protein a day.

Back