Legs not growing?

Carl1000

I've been lifting and eating a good bulking diet for 6 months. I am 6'4" 175 as of now, started out at 6'4" 160 (yes you read that right).

Problem is my legs just don't want to grow. I have seen good growth in my pecs, arms and shoulders (its amazing what a little growth in the delts will do to make you look bigger).

However my legs especially calves have not grown.

For legs my primary is squats which I do 3x6 @ 205 once per week. On leg day I also do leg presses and calf raises.

Got any advice on how to get bigger legs?

The only thing you can do really is keep bombing them. Use the heaviest poundage you can handle. Leg presses are especially good for building mass. I believe running hinders gains but there may be some here that disagree.

For tall skinny guys like yourself you need to cut down your exercise to just 3 main lifts--squats, deads and bench--work on impeccable form and consistently bring the weight up. Week after week you should get stronger and your legs should grow--remember to consistently up your calories as well. I can't say for sure but you probably over train, under eat, and do not go nearly as heavy as you could. Form is everything--do not sacrifice form for higher weight--in order to build big legs you are going to have to go fairly heavy. If you get your lifting form in order, injuries can be avoided. And by all means do regular squats not smith machine squats--find a spotter it helps even if only on a psychological level

And calves require a bit more work--try this for calve raises---in the upward position hold for ten seconds each rep---your calves should be on fire--calves have dense muscle fibers and need fairly high reps to respond.

Last edited:
you coould try higher rep ranges. I hear alot of people do well with 20 rep squats. maybe not every week but once or twice per month mixed in with your low rep work might trigger some growth.

i do high reps on leg press and leg curls and ride my bike a lot.
i'm 6'4 as well and it seems to be doing the trick.

i've dropped leg ext. and squats do to sport related knee injuries.

Carl1000 said:
I do 3x6 @ 205 once per week. Got any advice on how to get bigger legs?

Try using more weight or do more reps. Eat more and find the exercises that you need to do to grow. Muscle is muscle. All of it gets bigger pretty much the same way man.

Jusee said:
Try using more weight or do more reps. Eat more and find the exercises that you need to do to grow. Muscle is muscle. All of it gets bigger pretty much the same way man.

you guys keep saying do more weight.........

they guys a buck 70 or something and 6'4.

he shouldn't be expected to be putting up that much. :rolleyes:

OC Cartel said:
you guys keep saying do more weight.........

they guys a buck 70 or something and 6'4.

he shouldn't be expected to be putting up that much. :rolleyes:

Then bust out another rep was the other choice. He says he is stuck. There is only one way to grow.

huskyguy said:
For tall skinny guys like yourself you need to cut down your exercise to just 3 main lifts--squats, deads and bench--work on impeccable form and consistently bring the weight up. Week after week you should get stronger and your legs should grow--remember to consistently up your calories as well. I can't say for sure but you probably over train, under eat, and do not go nearly as heavy as you could. Form is everything--do not sacrifice form for higher weight--in order to build big legs you are going to have to go fairly heavy. If you get your lifting form in order, injuries can be avoided. And by all means do regular squats not smith machine squats--find a spotter it helps even if only on a psychological level

And calves require a bit more work--try this for calve raises---in the upward position hold for ten seconds each rep---your calves should be on fire--calves have dense muscle fibers and need fairly high reps to respond.

Amazing how these big three can do so much for so many. Also amazing how so many neglect these big three.

Form is paramount. Without proper form, injury is just around the corner. Get a spotter and work on technique. Then get to throwing up some weight. These three lifts can do lots to get you growing. You might give it a try and see what you think. Don't get too carried away adding to it either.

Jusee said:
Then bust out another rep was the other choice. He says he is stuck. There is only one way to grow.

word. :druggie:
i'd say food, rest, form (go all the way down).

maybe he could post the rest of his leg w/o ect.

legs are tough to figure out for alot of people; but as long as u are eating enough and adding weight to the bar (even if only 5lbs) then u will be growing.

Oh; mandatory for legs to grow imo is a 20 repper (brutal)

20 reppers of hack squats\ leg press\ front squats\or regular squats.

Dont forget the hamstrings do stiff leg deadlifts \good mornings\ pullthurs work well.

If you want every once in a while throw in some lying leg curls a brutal set of 20-30 works well imo.

Oh and dont forget to do floor deads and rack deadlifts on back day.

Check out Do Deadlifts Thicken waist page 6 ...great routine! Pullinbigs routine works wonders..he knows his stuff.

BEst of luck

if your legs are not growing..even though you've trained properly, then it's not meant to be. even so, you'd grow stronger, have stronger abs, back, legs. so it's alright there

AngryMuscles said:
if your legs are not growing..even though you've trained properly, then it's not meant to be.

Well he is probably doing something wrong. Either not enough food, or not enough drive for legs. Carl, are you telling me you cant bust out another rep or 2? You know what your doing wrong so fix it if you want.

given ur height its going to take a lot longer to fill those wheels out..
youll most likely run inot a wall if you just keep adding weight to the bar ( youll need to adjust more than the weight to keep getting your squat poundages up there)

get some video of your squat so we can see what you are doing

A) visit this board more often and take some of the advice to heart;

B) do this: instead of dividing your upper body into 2-3 different workouts, and lower body into just 1, switch it completely. Ex., have a squat, abs, lower back and calves day; then an extension, curls, abd/add day... Point is: retrain your focus on lower body not upper, at least until your lower begins to respond. Otherwise you'll look like half the jackasses at the gym with giant chests and arms but flamingo legs.

This is the Best Thigh Cycle i Know of but is a PAIN to do.
1. Leg extension, 1 1/4-repetiton technique,
Sit in the leg ext. machine and place your feet behind the roller pads. aling the axis of rotation of the machine with your knees. lean back and stabilize your body. straighten your leg smoothly, Pause. Lower one-quarter of the way down, then move back to the straight-legged position. Lower to the bottom and repeat the 1 1/4 technique for 8 to 12 reps. Remember go slow its not a race and just do one set. Now Go directly to leg curl.
2. Leg Curl, 1 1/4 rep technique. Make sure your knees are aling to the axis of rotation on the machine, now bend your knees and try to touch your heels to your buttocks. then go 1/4 down and come back up. Remember to go slow! now go to the leg press machine.
3. Leg press, extremely slow, 4 REPS ONLY in 120 SECONDS!
USE ABOUT HALF THE WEIGHT YOU USUALLY USE! and then work your self back to your usual weight. The goal here is to go 15 sec up 15 sec down with NO PAUSE on top or bottom of the exersise. It should be a fluid 120 sec press with no stops. Do not lock your knees it may make it easier but can screw your knees up and it would also be cheating! If you have too raise the seat so you cant lock your knees!

HAVE A FRIEND KEEP COUNT OF YOUR SEC. DO NOT COUNT THEM YOURSELFS YOU NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON YOUR LIFTING.

Ok then do some standing calf raises with a 2 sec hold on the top and 2 sec hold on the strech part of the exersise. Remember do all exersices slow! not fast, its not a race! Rest 2 min and then do the rest of your routine! bench, curls, pull ups, dips whatever else you do!

Ok now you owe me fifty buks! :rockband:

Last edited:
Back