Low T – starting TRT and tracking changes in the gym, physique

AverageMan

I’ve been posting a ton, and learning a ton on the forum. I’ve been into working out, eating healthy and physical fitness for some time. I’m not big by any means - many of the guys in the gym who work out less than I do are bigger (WTF?). Since discovering I have low T, I understand why now. Also, my workouts as of late have sucked. Some days are better than others, but in general I have zero energy and don’t lift very heavy. I’ve maxed out my preworkout mix and still drag ass. I’ve never done a cycle, just OTC stuff.
I’m really curious once the Cyp kicks in how drastic the changes will be - I’m not shooting for steroid levels, just something healthy/normal say 600-800. As you can see in the pic, I don’t have very defined abs (fatty lower abs - ugh). Quite honestly, that’s my number 1 goal - get defined abs, with number 2 being bigger arms. I’ll post up more pics over time to track the transformation.
Starting stats:
5’9” 161lbs. 39 years old. Starting T = 190. Not sure of body fat % - will have to get that tested.

View attachment 562183

Last edited:
Thanks Mega!

Also - I'm not sure what happened to the post but I had to edit and fix all the ***** and random numbers.

From your pic, I would guess your BF at 15-18%. That's not horribly bad for just starting out after being hypogonadal. Give yourself some credit and stay positive. Your mind can be just as powerful as hormones. Once your body adjusts, expect increased energy, better sleep and increased fat loss. However, (and I can't stress this enough) ABS are made in the kitchen. The only way you will get shredded is to have your diet in check and to live it. (Eat right all the time). You will have to be in a caloric deficit to lose the BF you probably want. Good luck and keep us posted!!

I***8217;m really curious once the Cyp kicks in how drastic the changes will be - I***8217;m not shooting for steroid levels, just something healthy/normal say 600-800. As you can see in the pic, I don***8217;t have very defined abs (fatty lower abs - ugh). Quite honestly, that***8217;s my number 1 goal - get defined abs, with number 2 being bigger arms. I***8217;ll post up more pics over time to track the transformation.
Starting stats:
5***8217;9***8221; 161lbs. 39 years old. Starting T = 190. Not sure of body fat % - will have to get that tested.

View attachment 562183

Congrats on deciding on a course of action in treating your low T, i look forward to your progression updates.

-Andrwe

The first thing you're going to probably notice is that you're going to feel a bit hotter than usual. That's your metabolism kicking back into working order. Next, you'll find that you're not in crazy pain the next day, and the weights just feel a little lighter.

This is where you realize just how much you've been missing.

The biggest challenge however, will be that if you work out in a gym that has a female population, it WILL be difficult to stay on task at first. I don't know how long you have been hypogonadal, but I had pretty much forgotten women, and rediscovering them (in booty shorts and spandex) was an epiphany to say the least. ;)

You're in for one hell of an awakening. :bigok:

It's funny you mention soreness - I just did flys yesterday and it feels like a mule kicked me in the chest today, even though I've done flys 100 times before. I've also had pain in my right bicep - feels like a ligament is tore or something. I've read that T can help regenerate tissue.

So yeah - 3 weeks can't come fast enough to start feeling the positive effects. Thursday will be week one.

Two and a half years ago I was where you are right now . No energy. Brain fog. Unsatisfying workouts. Loss of muscle tone and mass no matter how hard I worked. Also low bone density from another condition. Pretty much miserable. You know the story. I asked my PCP for a test test and it came back at a hair over 300 for total. Was referred to a urologist who agreed that I was a good candidate for exogenous test. After fiddling with doses and dosing, the protocol I have been on for about a year and a half is 150mg cyp pw. It has been a life saver. Got my body, mind and mojo back. At last check, I am in the 750 total range with estrogen in the low 20's. No gynocomastia, no testicular atrophy, or hair loss (did get wicked curly though). Basically, all good and no bad.
I hit the gym virtually every day after work. Since I am in my late 50's and want to preserve my original joints, I gave up heavy lifting and started taking work out classes at my local gym. And now I am positively addicted to them.
My favorite is a Les Mills program called Body Pump. Over the course of 55 minutes, you do between 800 and 1000 reps that hit every part of the body - with legs at least twice. I do this three times a week. If you push yourself and get the weights right, you can get to failure with each round - aerobically as well. The cardiac fitness is amazing. My resting pulse is in the 52bpm range. I am an avid skier and this program has put me in the best early season shape of my life. I can not say that I have gotten bigger on this program, but I am cut, having lost significant fat combined with better toning. And I have abs for the first time - all the way up and down. I also find that the quality of my muscle tone is much improved from these classes vs conventional training.
They just love me at the blood bank given the significant vascularity that comes from this kind of training. They can just close their eyes and poke. I can not recommend this program more highly. Best 55 minutes I spend all day. An added bonus is the composition of the class, 90% women. I always talk it up with my buddies in the weight room, but none of them will try it. Frankly, it is far more intense than a regular workout and requires a level of stamina and fitness that has to be earned. Much more difficult than doing a set and chatting with your buddies for five minutes.
I also do the CX program which is s 30 minute ab/core fest. Seriously intense. I have also done the Sports Attack program which is a high intensity aerobic program that will burn fat better than anything I have ever tried. Unfortunately, I have developed this chronic Achilles tendinitis and can not tolerate the high impact nature of the program. Trying to figure out an alternative. Though, again, the Body Pump class is a total drainer.
On the off days, Tues/Thurs, I do the 30 min core class and then lift weights. I find that this combination of intense, high rep/low weight approach with two days of conventional lifting has given me the best physique and level of conditioning I have ever had. I am 59 and have body fat of around 10-12%. But, as noted above, you will not get what you want unless you eat right. My wife and I do about a 80% paleo diet. We eat lots of good protein, fruit and fresh veggies and have cut out most carbs and all carbs from enriched flour. Still do rice because we just love rice.
I wish you well. Everyone on this board has made this journey in one form or another. When you get the right dose, you will just be giving your body the fuel it needs to function as it should. All good things comes from that. It is up to you to take full advantage of that new level of healthfulness. Eat right and train for the long haul. That is what I am doing and could not be happier.
Happy Trails
S1

According to the hand held body fat o' meter at the gym I'm at 12% body fat. This was taken in the morning and I had been drinking water, protein shake. It was a newer, higher end hand held unit. Not sure if there is a rule of thumb for accuracy.

According to the hand held body fat o' meter at the gym I'm at 12% body fat. This was taken in the morning and I had been drinking water, protein shake. It was a newer, higher end hand held unit. Not sure if there is a rule of thumb for accuracy.

They don't work. Ignore the result.

your body looks good for a low test person, im sure you will see some big changes within the last 6 months! :)

Back