Lunch meat, Cold cuts... No good?

Chicago Made

Hey guys,

I was wondering why I hear so much about Chicken Breast, Ground Beef, etc but not about lunch meats?

Is it the sodium factor, cost or just not as good?

Thanks!

Brian

Lunch meats are really garbage. Cured meats are believed to cause colon cancer. Sodium is high an usually fat is high and its a much lower source of protien than some lean beef or chicken. Now and then I have a sandwich but I wouldnt sit there and eat a 1lb of spiced ham like I do with chicken breast.

Too much sodium, high in fat, not enough protein per lb, and overpriced for the amount of nutrition you get from them. The only benefit to them is convenience not worth the money.

What do you guys think about a brand like say... Boars Head?

Supposedly it's Kosher and low-sodium.

I ask because my girlfriend buys shit loads of lunch meat because she feels I need it, but if all I need to do is buy shit loads of Chicken Breast and Bison I'm all for it.

On a side note, does running/jogging (any cardio for that matter) help off-set the high sodium? And am I under the correct impression that the sodium is bad because it makes you retain more water (well, besides being bad for your blood pressure, but I'm just speaking strictly gains-wise)?

Also, I just spoke with my girlfriend and she says to mention that the lunch meat is Chicken Breast (Healthy Choice, and usually it's Boars Head) and the label reads:

*Per 2 oz serving:

Fat = 1 gram

Sodium = 470 Mg

Protein = 9 grams

Calories = 50

How does that stack up? I know the sodium is WAY up there...

Thats not that bad bingo but its still processed and has a ton of stuff thats not good for you in it and the sodium is through the roof. 2oz is relatively small so multiply all that sodium out and its very bad. over 2000mg of sodium for 50g protein.

bingo_soothes said:
I ask because my girlfriend buys shit loads of lunch meat because she feels I need it, but if all I need to do is buy shit loads of Chicken Breast and Bison I'm all for it.

?

problem solved. you have a girlfriend, send that bitch to the kitchen and get her cooking some real food.

all kidding aside though, personally ill eat lunch meat every once inawhile, the fresh deli sliced chicken or turkey, but i'd much rather stick with grilling some chicken breasts. there easy, pretty cheap, and got a shitload of protein in them. im lazy so i just marinate em in italian dressing but you can do a shitload of stuff to em to make em taste good.

evansss said:
but you can do a shitload of stuff to em to make em taste good.

HFSA853.jpg

ftw

Hot sauce is great, I can add a little to just about any food and make it taste better. Its the only way I can down tuna. Does anybody like mustard with chicken? I think its a great combo.

no matter how high the quality or freshness of lunchmeat--the amount of protein you get for the buck is not worth it--too much salt and preservatives

bake some chicken at home, then cut it thin and put it in the fridge, bingo you have fresh "lunchmeat" for the week.

you can always cook turkey breasts at home and slice it thin if you want sandwiches to take to work with you. chicken breasts and ground beef are good from a nutritional standpoint, but they are by no means convenient to anyone that needs to take a lunch or 3 to work with them.

Back