Mail...

its not illeagal to send cash in the mail so i dont know why it would be taken unless they knew what it was being sent for. not sure

house1 said:
its not illeagal to send cash in the mail so i dont know why it would be taken unless they knew what it was being sent for. not sure

Hmm, you sure its not illegal? I always thought it was.

Exkon said:
So if customs picks it up, what would they charge you with? Or do they just punish you by taking the money :)

They just take the cash. This topic came up before about someone from the US sending cash to Canada. I said at the time "no way would they take the cash, there is nothing illegal about it." I actually phoned Canada Customs to prove my point, they directed me to the Postal Service, who informed it is illegal to send cash in the mail, same as drugs, guns, and other shit like that. When pressed for a reason to this, the lady really didn't have one, she just said that's the way it is.
Needless to say I proved myself wrong with my original assumption. :confused:

StoneColdNTO said:
They just take the cash. This topic came up before about someone from the US sending cash to Canada. I said at the time "no way would they take the cash, there is nothing illegal about it." I actually phoned Canada Customs to prove my point, they directed me to the Postal Service, who informed it is illegal to send cash in the mail, same as drugs, guns, and other shit like that. When pressed for a reason to this, the lady really didn't have one, she just said that's the way it is.

Damn that is scary, I'd hate to lose what I sent out a few days ago.

Exkon said:
Damn that is scary, I'd hate to lose what I sent out a few days ago.

Yeah but I wouldn't worry about it, people do it every day, gifts for birthdays, Christmas, etc.
They don't go looking for it or anything, unless maybe your mailing boxes full of it:D You win the lottery or what ? LOL

StoneColdNTO said:

That was me. :wavey: $1100 cash gone. :bawling:

Actually, it may not have been me that you were talking to/about but it happened nonetheless.

Rot in hell you customs bastards!! :chainsaw::mad:

I sent 500 to canada and it got lost. They did a trace and said that it got lost between customs and the mail carrier. Never made it's destination.

If you just put the cash in a bday card and write a little message inside i would seriously doubt they would seize it.

Insure your packs people, for the tiny amount it costs its adds to ease of mind, although I don't know if it would make the pack to get more attention.

Darko said:
Insure your packs people, for the tiny amount it costs its adds to ease of mind, although I don't know if it would make the pack to get more attention.

If it actually gets confiscated, I'm not sure if insurance would cover that. Simply lost yes, but confiscated ??

well if an addy is tagged, they will keep sezing cash, the postal service loves the freebies. Unless you sent AAS, they will probaly send you a letter, whereas you can come to claim it, or do nothing.

If sending money take the proper precautions...

~Written by frfghtr~

I just want to take this opportunity to remind people on how to send money to your source:

Use THREE layers of protection. Cash in envelope, envelope in bubble envelope, bubble envelope in xpresspost envelope. Or cash in cd case, cd case gift-wrapped, gift-wrapped case in xpresspost CD mailer. Cash concealed in pages of Martha Stewart Living issue, issue taped shut with scotch tape, issue in xpresspost envelope. The more layers there are to conceal your cash, the less likely the handler is gonna bother looking for what's inside. Lay the cash as flat as possible if you're using the first method, so the handler doesn't feel a wad of folded-up bills inside.

NEVER send loose money in an xpresspost envelope. All it takes is for the handler to rip a tiny corner, see your $400 inside, and buy himself a new gas barbecue for this summer. On a private sale, someone once sent me a loose wad of folded bills wrapped only in a 50 cent bill of Canadian tire money on the outside of the wad. I almost blew my stack when I saw this, since using money to camouflage money is not a good idea...

For those sending gear to someone on private sales or trades, here are some guidelines to follow:

If you're sending liquids, ALWAYS put them in a ziploc bag. Then put that ziploc bag upside down inside another. This way if the containers break and leak, the liquids will be contained. It won't destroy the envelope or worry the handler that it contains dangerous goods (in which case they can send it to be inspected).

Another tip on liquids: If you're sending a bottle of anything, try to send the liquids in a bottle that fits them as much as possible. For example don't send 250ml of liquids in a bottle meant for 500ml. The swishing sound may tip the handler that there are liquids in the pack, which could be dangerous chemicals, and could warrant an inspection.

Whatever you're packing, make sure the pack is well padded. This serves two purposes: The first, obvious purpose is that it helps prevent breakage of the product. The second reason is that with adequate padding the handler will not be able to feel the envelope to determine what's inside. A vial has a certain feel, and so does a wad of cash. Bubble wrap is often used but is unnecessary. The cheapest method is to take those plastic shopping bags that seem to reproduce like rabbits in your kitchen cabinet, and stuff your pack with them. This won't add any weight to your package (thus postage costs will be the same), but it will help protect it. Everything to gain.

Back