Matt Serra vs St Pierre #2

Loosing revenue? And where did you get that information from? I dont think your know what your talking about D.M. Who is you source for this revenue loss notion that you speak of.

i think the main problem with the ufc is the amount of control they seem to have to have over all there fighters, not allowing cross promotions, and outside sponsership..,with the popularity of the sport right now and new orginizations like HDnet there is a huge opportunity for change in the sport, if the ufc doesnt wake up they will be overtaken, but who cares as long as we the people still get to see great fights with great fighters

im not a black belt, my professer is a 7th dan bb, and yes higher than royce and renzo,
i belive only rorion ,rickson and mabye 2 or 3 others are higher,
in my post it says i train WITH a 7th dan bb

Gotcha! Sorry, misunderstood. Press on!

Tomorrow is FIGHT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) haha.. I'm not proud of this, but I'm actually starting to doubt my original prediction (Serra for the win, 2nd round (t)ko.). The clips and interviews lately on GSP is showing him to be insanely focused this time... and a prepared and focused GSP, is one of the best in the world. I'll stand by my original pick but wow, it should be good. I'll probably head to Hooters this time to watch it. ;)

im going to be away this weekend so since nobody made a picks thread i may not have a chance to put mine in. however, i recommend that once ManofMuscle makes his picks, you just choose the other fighter.

Picks on this card are pretty cut and dry. Anyone should make mention if they are going against the obvious picks but I doubt many of us will. I know we have a few people still picking Serra.

i hope ypu didnt put any $$$$$ on it.

i hope you did put money on it cause Serra at +400 is a great value dog if you think he has a chance. I say his chances are 20 percent witch still puts it a good value play. Hard to bet against St Pierre in his hometown though...

Yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Georges%20St%20Pierre.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=234712&lid=sublink02&lpos=headlines_main

TSN Producer Andrew Nichols is in Montreal at the sold out UFC 83: SERRA vs. ST-PIERRE 2, where Quebec's own Georges 'Rush' St-Pierre attempts to become the undisputed champion in a rematch with reigning titleholder Matt 'The Terror' Serra. Follow Nichols' Blog as he reports from the Bell Centre.

8:00pm ET - Well, after some technical difficulties, I think we're up and running for the rest of the night. The pre-show card started about 30 minutes early. Jonathan Goulet defeat Kuniyoshi Hironaka by TKO in the 2nd round. The Bell Centre is only 30 percent full, but the house is rocking. The crowd is thoroughly behind the Canadian fighters. More to come.

8:07pm ET - In the 2nd fight of the night, Cain Velasquez defeated Brad Morris. Morris was dominated throughout the fight, and was caught a hook he could not recover from. Canadian Sam Stout is on his way to the ring. The crowd is lit up. Stout will give GSP a run for loudest reaction of the night.

8:31pm ET - Stout vs Rich Clementi (Lightweights): Sam Stout lost a split decision to Rich Clementi. We've had to sort out some technical issues on site, but it appears we'll be full steam ahead for the rest of the card.

8:44pm ET - Demian Maia vs Ed Herman, 3 Rounds (Middleweights) - 1st Round: Herman's tights have a large sponsorship for Condomdepot.com... his nickname is "Short Fuse"... only in the MMA. The first round was slow paced, with a lot of ground and pound exchanges.

8:48pm ET - Demian Maia vs Ed Herman - 2nd Round: Herman has the advantage through most of the round. Out of nowhere, Maia slips Herman into a triangle submission hold. Maia has his man fall asleep in the hold and pounds away until the referee stops the fight. Winner at 2:27 of the 2nd round: Maia.

8:50pm ET - GSP is shown on the scoreboard getting prepared in the locker room. The crowd is in a frenzy and they are so loud, GSP apparently hears them in the bowels of the Bell Centre.

9:08pm ET - Jason Day vs Alan Belcher, 3 Rounds (Middleweights) - 1st Round: Day is fighting out of Lethbridge, Alberta. Day rarely fights past the first round, so he'll likely be looking to end it early. Belcher is wearing green and white trucks made out of European soccer pennants. Belcher gets the advantage with the rakedown, but Day feeds elbow stikes to Belcher's head from the bottom position. To there feet, and Day unloads straight elbows and fists to Belcher's head. The American is not able to strike back, and the referee ends the fight. Day is the winner by TKO and in impressive fashion at 3:58 of the 1st round. The Lethbridge fighter works the crowd up into a frenzy.

9:24pm ET - Joe Doerksen (Winnipeg) vs Jason MacDonald (Edmonton), 3 Rounds (Middleweights): This is the final match of the preliminary cards, featuring an all-Canadian pairing. The Bell Centre is nearly to capacity, everyone has rolled in off Saint Catherine Street. Doerksen has over 30 submission wins, and is a Brazilian Jiu-Jistu black belt. MacDonald defeated Doerksen in a previous encounter.

9:31pm ET - Joe Doerksen vs Jason MacDonald - 1st Round: MacDonald is the clear crowd favourite between the two Canucks. The fighters walk to the middle of the octagon, and MacDonald immediately slips Doerksen into a standing choke hold. This fight almost ended 5 seconds after the bell. Doerksen escapes the hold and has an armbar on MacDonald. Another close ending. Textbook grapping between the fighters, with locks and holds exchanged a fast pace. Doerksen seemed to take the first round.

9:35pm ET - Joe Doerksen vs Jason MacDonald - 2nd round: The round opens against the cage. MacDonald drives Doerksen into the mat, and lands six damaging elbows to the head, opening a cut. This stops the action at 56 seconds of the 2nd round. MacDonald by TKO. The main card is scheduled to begin shortly.

9:37pm ET - The Bruins and Habs score is flashed in the arena; amazingly... with the Bruins leading 4-3, no one seems to notice.

10:02pm ET - The main card is starting. The Canadiens fans in attendance have seen the final score, and are uneasy about a 7th game vs Boston. No doubt a GSP win will soften the Habs exit from the playoffs on Monday.

10:12pm ET - Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig, 3 Rounds (Lightweights): Bocek is facing the biggest challenge of his career; the Canadian is fighting out of Toronto. Danzig was the winner The Ultimate Fighter Season 6, and Bocek is not seen as a likely winner here.

10:21pm ET - Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig - 1st Round: The 26-year old Bocek has a 5-inch reach advantage. Mostly grappling, until Bocek mounts and lands a series of soft shots. Feeding off the crowd, Bocek continues to hold the edge. Danzig seems calm, even talking to his corner while struggling to escape a Bocek hold. Close round, but Bocek takes it by a point.

10:30pm ET - Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig - 2nd Round: Fighters standing up in the middle of the ring, exchanging punches. Danzig lands a monstrous knee when Bocek lowers his head, sending the match to the mat. As Bocek struggles to stand, Danzig lifts a knee to the face, bringing them back to the ground. Bocek looks like he is trying to survive the fight now, as Danzig is clearly in control. The Canadian is showing heart, and continues to battle but has little offence left. Bocek has a bloody nose, and swollen left eye from the knee strike.

10:35pm ET - Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig - 3rd Round: Bocek is a bloody mess. He takes another damaging knee strike to the face from the standing position. Ringside doctor wants a look. Bocek has two swollen eyes, a broken nose, and is losing blood. When the doctor says fight on, the crowd erupts hoping for the comeback. with 90 seconds left, Danzig rear mounts and applies the choke until Bocek taps out. Danzig was the winner on the scorecard; Bocek won the crowd with his heroics. Both fighters are covered in Bocek's blood.

10:39pm ET - Charles McCarthy vs Michael Bisping, 3 Rounds (Middleweights): Before the intros, Mandy Moore is flashed on the in-house video board... I know exactly what Jay Onrait was thinking... where's Celine Dion tonight?

10:54pm ET - Charles McCarthy vs Michael Bisping - 1st Round: The remainder of the fights will be contested on a crimson carpet provided by Mark Bocek. Bisping is a hulking menace of a man, hailing from England. McCarthy is from Coconut Creek, Florida, even ring announcer Bruce Buffer can make that sound cool. Bisping unloads three knee and three punches, to which McCarthy open mouth mocks repeatedly. The crowd chants for Bisping to "Knock Him Out!" Now a soccer chant breaks out... Montreal sports fans are some of the best our country has to offer. Bisping has had enough; he lands at least 12 knees to McCarthy's forearms, then a series of strikes on his turled opponent. At the end of the round, McCarthy stays on the mat. Referee rules Bisping the winner by TKO.?

11:08pm ET - Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes, 3 Rounds (Middleweights): Starnes is fighting out of Surrey, BC. His ring entourage is all wearing Canadiens hats.

11:11pm ET - Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes - 1st Round: Mostly a slow paced round, with lots of feeling-out from both sides. Boring" chants from the fans for the first time tonight

11:19pm ET - Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes - 2nd Round: More boring chants. Almost the entire round is spent in the sparring positions. No real punches or kicks making an impact. One moment of Starnes aggression, before the end of the round.

11:27pm ET - Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes - 3rd Round: Starnes is fighting a safe match here, not putting himself in any moments of danger. Now "Go Leafs, go" from the fans in the high upper bowl. There was so much dancing in this fight, that Quarry actually dropped his arms to the side. Quarry begins a "runningman" jog towards Starnes, to which Starnes replies with a middle finger gesture. The crowd loves it. No blows are thrown, but Quarry mocks Starnes for the final 15 seconds of the fight. The late round antics couldn't save this fight from being a dud. Quarry receives a huge ovation despite Starnes being Canadian. In fact, the crowd thought Starnes didn't bring enough and booed him every time he flashed on the video board.

11:31pm ET - Forrest Griffin is shown on the scoreboard wearing a Saku Koivu jersey. Didn't anyone tell him the Bruins scored 4 goals in the 3rd period? The two big fights of the night are coming up next.

11:43pm ET - Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin, 3 Rounds (Middleweights): Franklin is a cardio machine, while Lutter has a black belt in BJJ.

11:45pm ET - Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin - 1st Round: Lutter gets his man to the mat. There's a lot of mat work on the ground. Lutter lands some strikes before slipping Franklin into an armbar. Somehow, Franklin slips out and the fighters are standing. Lutter wants to work on right leg, and takes some shots in the process.

11:51pm ET - Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin - 2nd Round: Franklin knee lift lands right off the start. Lutter takes a huge leg to the head and appears to be in trouble. Lutter grabs an ankle and manages to save himself from massive strikes. Franklin has his man worn, and lands blows without trouble. Lutter has nothing left in the tank, and the referee gives him time to stand. Franklin pounds away on Lutter until the referee stops the fight. Franklin by TKO. Before an official announcement, the GSP chants begin. Montreal is ready for their hometown boy.

12:05pm ET - Georges St-Pierre vs Matt Serra, 5 rounds, undisputed UFC Welterweight Championship: GSP comes to the ring as challenger, and interim champion. 22,000 plus are on their feet. The Bell Centre is going nuts. It's rare for a fighter to have this kind of support, at home or on the road. GSP is here for the title, and the fans are here to see him win it.

12:08pm ET - Matt Serra is next to the Octagon. He gives the crowd a double finger salute. Folks... we're in for a fight tonight.

12:12pm ET - GSP has the size, reach and youth advantage, but Serra has the belt. You can't hear Buffer over the chants.

12:18pm ET - Georges St-Pierre vs Matt Serra - 1st Round: Gloves touch, we're underway. Take down by GSP immediately. GSP lands strikes from the top position. Hard left to head of Serra. How can Serra concentrate with 22,000 cheering every GSP move. "Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole " song is underway 2:30 into the fight. GSP lands a hard left elbow. Serra spent the entire round on the ground, turtling at the end to several GSP strikes. GSP with another takedown in the final 20 seconds. Decisive Round 1 to GSP.

12:22pm ET - Between rounds, Serra gets a swollen right eye worked on. GSP isn't even breathing hard.

12:26pm ET - Georges St-Pierre vs Matt Serra - 2nd Round: GSP takedown to start the round. Serra is on the defensive to start. Flurry of exchanges in the middle of the octagon. GSP is landing jabs freely, and takes his man down again. Now the crowd is chanting "(blank) you Serra". HSP on top and pounding away, knees to ribs, until the referee stops the action. There's a new undisputed UFC Welterweight Champion. Georges St-Pierre wins the belt!

12:29pm ET - Serra lifts GSP up after the fight, celebrating the decision. This fight was all St-Pierre from start to finish. GSP does a backflip. Based on the quality of the card, and the fan reaction, this will not be the last time UFC comes to Canada. That's it from Montreal. Thanks to Brian Schaven and Danny Celia for technical support. Have a great night and drive safely.

all in all not a bad night, macarthy and starnes should never be seen on tv ever again.
great fight by danzig, good job from franklin, i wish we would have seen the ed herman fight that finish looked wicked

Back