More Bench Press Tips

iron addict

Many BB’ers have the common sense to look into the powerlifting world and get some good bench press tips from the guys at the top of the game that are moving HUGE iron. Now in bodybuiling, bench press form is little talked of and not much practiced other than the usual very wide grip, elbows flared out as wide as possible, and, and the bar traveling a path that brings it high on the chest in the lowered position. Look around you in the gym and you will see the VAST majority of lifters benching this way, which has lead many to believe that this is correct, and possibly even the only bench form that is practiced.

Why do most lifters bench like this? It is a feeble attempt at making the bench press something it is NOT, an isolation chest movement. This benching style is not the best way to move the biggest poundage’s for most trainees, and it is an injury waiting to happen for many lifters. So……many wise up and look at how powerlifters train the bench. Problem is, they don’t really watch powerlifters train, nor get coaching from a powerlifter or trainer that knows how to bench correctly. What they do instead is go online and read away. Good idea? Absolutely! As long as the trainee is astute enough to understand when the lifters writing the info are talking about training their raw bench, or shirt training, or performance shirted lifting.

Benching in a shirt and shirted benching technique is night and day different than raw benching, and techniques that are ‘da bomb for shirted benchers are not always the best deal for guys benching raw. I have personally training clients call me and proceed to tell me about their attempts at trying technique XXX they read about the day before and then tried at their benching session, with poor results. Without going into real depth and detail (I’ll save that for a full article) here are a few good ideas most raw benchers can incorporate that will USUALLY help their bench.

1. Bring your grip in somewhat. I get videos of training clients sometimes that have their arms spread so wide you would think they were not benching, but trying to appease their pissed off girlfriend by showing her how much they love her. “oh baby.I love you this much”—lol. Bring the grip in. How much depends on how wide you are already used to benching. But at least experiment with a narrower grip.
2. Tuck your elbows in during the descent, you will be MUCH tighter, and in a better position to use your lats when blasting the bar off your chest.
3. USE YOUR LATS. Many lifters are clueless about how much using your lats when benching will help your bench. And most of these guys have never consciously tried it, just hemmed and hawed about how it couldn’t possibly help much.
4. Bring the bar lower on your chest. QUIT TRYING TO ISOLATE THE PECS WHEN BENCHING. If you want to isolate, use dumbbells. When barbell benching use the form that allows you to push the most iron!

Make sure when adopting new techniques that what you are attempting is compatible with your bench style, and raw, vs. shirted benching are to night and day different styles.

More to follow….

Iron Addict

initially my bench went down for a little while when i coorrected my form, but now im making constant progress and being under the bar feels much more comfortable. it toook me a while to figure out the tucking of the elbows and how to use my legs, but once you figure it out it sure makes a difference.
thanks IA

thanx IA my bench is stuck now so im gonna try your technique of bringing the bar lower .....good post (as usual)

mranak said:
I always bring the bar all the way down until it touches the chest. Is that wrong?

I'm pretty sure he means bring it "lower" as in more towards the stomach area...instead of across the nipples or parallel to your front delts that a lot of guys do.

I don't mean actually on the stomach btw, but just lower. But I suck at benching anyway.

IA,

when you say to use your lats cause it will help push more iron, does you clients lats get sore after chest days?

string_bean00 said:
I'm pretty sure he means bring it "lower" as in more towards the stomach area...instead of across the nipples or parallel to your front delts that a lot of guys do.

I don't mean actually on the stomach btw, but just lower. But I suck at benching anyway.
Yeah, I think you're right.

lowering the bar on your lower chest will shorten the distane the bar travels....hence more tricep and chest and less front shoulder stress...

When I was early to learning the "PL" style of benching, I put 15 pounds on my bench and its the only way my shoulders stopped hurting on heavy days. I get plenty of a chest workout from it, and I bench somewhat low, it just feels most natural that way after working on my form for 3+ years.

benching low over the sternum and expanding the stomach on the descent to touch before the ascent actually shortens the ROM, thus more energy for the pressing motion i believe.

iron addict said:
Many BB’ers have the common sense to look into the powerlifting world and get some good bench press tips from the guys at the top of the game that are moving HUGE iron. Now in bodybuiling, bench press form is little talked of and not much practiced other than the usual very wide grip, elbows flared out as wide as possible, and, and the bar traveling a path that brings it high on the chest in the lowered position. Look around you in the gym and you will see the VAST majority of lifters benching this way, which has lead many to believe that this is correct, and possibly even the only bench form that is practiced.

Why do most lifters bench like this? It is a feeble attempt at making the bench press something it is NOT, an isolation chest movement. This benching style is not the best way to move the biggest poundage’s for most trainees, and it is an injury waiting to happen for many lifters. So……many wise up and look at how powerlifters train the bench. Problem is, they don’t really watch powerlifters train, nor get coaching from a powerlifter or trainer that knows how to bench correctly. What they do instead is go online and read away. Good idea? Absolutely! As long as the trainee is astute enough to understand when the lifters writing the info are talking about training their raw bench, or shirt training, or performance shirted lifting.

Benching in a shirt and shirted benching technique is night and day different than raw benching, and techniques that are ‘da bomb for shirted benchers are not always the best deal for guys benching raw. I have personally training clients call me and proceed to tell me about their attempts at trying technique XXX they read about the day before and then tried at their benching session, with poor results. Without going into real depth and detail (I’ll save that for a full article) here are a few good ideas most raw benchers can incorporate that will USUALLY help their bench.

1. Bring your grip in somewhat. I get videos of training clients sometimes that have their arms spread so wide you would think they were not benching, but trying to appease their pissed off girlfriend by showing her how much they love her. “oh baby.I love you this much”—lol. Bring the grip in. How much depends on how wide you are already used to benching. But at least experiment with a narrower grip.
2. Tuck your elbows in during the descent, you will be MUCH tighter, and in a better position to use your lats when blasting the bar off your chest.
3. USE YOUR LATS. Many lifters are clueless about how much using your lats when benching will help your bench. And most of these guys have never consciously tried it, just hemmed and hawed about how it couldn’t possibly help much.
4. Bring the bar lower on your chest. QUIT TRYING TO ISOLATE THE PECS WHEN BENCHING. If you want to isolate, use dumbbells. When barbell benching use the form that allows you to push the most iron!

Make sure when adopting new techniques that what you are attempting is compatible with your bench style, and raw, vs. shirted benching are to night and day different styles.

More to follow….

Iron Addict
Tried it, didnt work for me on flat bench, was alright on incline tho. If I tug my elbows in, the triceps take the load.

It takes practice, I've been practicing my technique for over 3 years and I still have to watch myself in terms of trap placement because I get lazy.

If my arms go OUT then I die on the lift because my arms take the load. I bench to the gut, thats the only way I can bench at my best.

Mudge said:
It takes practice, I've been practicing my technique for over 3 years and I still have to watch myself in terms of trap placement because I get lazy.

If my arms go OUT then I die on the lift because my arms take the load. I bench to the gut, thats the only way I can bench at my best.
Or one could do flyes before even touching the bench press, (if their arms go out ). ....damn my chest is sore.

Great post!!! I've been messing around with my benchpress technique for ages, and I still don't do it the way it SHOULD be... I will try out these tips next time!

The only thing that is not clear to me is the grip. How wide should it be then? A little wider than shoulder width? I usually do a really wide grip.
I need to learn how to use the legs also, but the benches at my gym are very high so it's kind of hard to use my legs on the exercise.

i cant seem to get my lats involved. never could. however, i have a prety big bench, and even bigger chest.

the elbows in part is key. keeps your shoulders safe as well.

Biceps_Blitz said:
The only thing that is not clear to me is the grip. How wide should it be then? A little wider than shoulder width? I usually do a really wide grip.
I need to learn how to use the legs also, but the benches at my gym are very high so it's kind of hard to use my legs on the exercise.

Forefinger on the ring is the widest, legal grip. Unless my shoulders hurt that is how I bench, although a power close grip (pinky on the ring) also hits my chest.

I myself only really use legs most of the time on 1-3 rep stuff, laziness perhaps.

To get the lats involved you need arch.

Back