Most efficient way to burn bodyfat through cardio

af908

Can somebody explain (or post an article) to me the process of fat-burning, and the order of which different fuels are used as a source of energy for the body (glucose, bodyfat, muscle protein). I always thought your body uses glucose as its main form of energy, and when all of that is gone, it switches over to bodyfat deposits. For this reason is why I do weight training before cardio- to clear out my body from using glucose as energy and then burn as much fat as possible during cardio.

But, ive read that your body may break down proteins as energy as well (from muscle tissue). But WHEN exactly does this happen?

I have been searching around the net for days now and CANNOT find a clear cut answer to this. I'm trying to find the most efficient method to loose fat without sacrificing muscle. Can somebody please clear this up for me??
:shoot2:

I'm sure someone can chime in here with articles/facts etc...but the bottom line is that if you keep your weight training up and your protein intake up you will not sacrifice muscle. IMO you have to be doing a LOT of cardio to do that. I really don't see a need for it to be more complicated than that.

I have a question related.....does doing HIIT burn too much muscle? I know lots of bodybuilders that stay away from it because they say it burns too much muscle.

Miss Muscle said:
I have a question related.....does doing HIIT burn too much muscle? I know lots of bodybuilders that stay away from it because they say it burns too much muscle.

no its a myth, muscle burning away is all about diet

gators52 said:
no its a myth, muscle burning away is all about diet

yes and no...i mean, you have to be training cardio specifically (ie long distance runner) to be burning muscle imo. I don't think you can just burn muscle by accident - you have to be fucking pushing it.

MM HIIT is becoming more and more popular, and gator is correct about diet being key here. Personally I think it's the best way to lose that last bit of fat while dieting. This is because after 12-16 weeks of dieting it's nearly impossible to be doing 1 and 2 hours of cardio a day (especially considering your calorically deprived). 20 mins of HIIT is very bareable and if when done on an empty stomach really targeted the fat for me. If your weight training and protein are there then you won't be burning muscle if your doing 20 mins of HIIT/day.

outlawtas2 said:
yes and no...i mean, you have to be training cardio specifically (ie long distance runner) to be burning muscle imo. I don't think you can just burn muscle by accident - you have to be fucking pushing it.

MM HIIT is becoming more and more popular, and gator is correct about diet being key here. Personally I think it's the best way to lose that last bit of fat while dieting. This is because after 12-16 weeks of dieting it's nearly impossible to be doing 1 and 2 hours of cardio a day (especially considering your calorically deprived). 20 mins of HIIT is very bareable and if when done on an empty stomach really targeted the fat for me. If your weight training and protein are there then you won't be burning muscle if your doing 20 mins of HIIT/day.

I'm not a big fan of doing any cardio in a fasted state, but that's another thread to start that debate up lol One thing I've read about HIIT that is very beneficial is that many hours after your HIIT session your metabolism is elevated and therefor burning additional calories. The only downside in my mind to doing HIIT in a caloric deficit is that in my opinion HIIT takes more recovery time than low intensity cardio. What I have found that works best for me is to do low intensity cardio 20-30 min post workout and then your days if you wish do HIIT.

Back