My Forearms look like Toothpicks - Help, Please!

I forgot to ask this question...

You guys encouraged me to do this 100% naturally (without AS or weight gainer) and I plan to do that; however, what about proteins, vitamins, and creatine?

Guys,

After reviewing all of these responses regarding free weights, I was too insecure about going to the gym yesterday - so I did not go. Today, however, I fought the urge and got there at 5:59 AM --- hoping to beat the muscle crowd. Downstairs was empty, and I would have stayed there, except that as soon as I turned the corner, this muscled Hispanic guy who looked like the Spanish image of God gave me a critical look. Well, up the stairs I bounced, as I felt unworthy of being in his sight. Yeah, I'm cerebral and have low confidence issues.

Not for long... I'm getting there..

When I was upstairs, I did my regular abdominal workout (on the machine).

Next, I went to the shoulder machine (30 lb x 10 reps x 4 sets)

Next, the lat machine (100 lb x 8 reps x 4 sets and 120 lb x 5 reps x 2 sets) __ this felt so good.

*** by this time, I felt glad to be at the gym after all ***

Next, I hit the machine for biceps and I still couldn't exceed 30 lb x 2 reps. I reduced to 25 lb and had a little better success. I got up, because people were starting to look my way when I set it at 10 lb and at 6'2" that's just shameful. I acquiesced and prepared myself to leave.

I WAS READY TO THROW IN THE TOWEL (literally and figuratively); however, on the way out, guess what ??? There were dumbbells in the quiet little stretching area upstairs (away from the muscle boys downstairs) and I'd never noticed them before.

I grabbed 12.5 lb and realized I had no idea what to do with them. I pulled up my iPhone and found the advice from BeastInTheEast (3-4 straight sets of 8 reps each). I did some curls while looking in the mirror... and became amazed at how well my biceps and forearms were responding. I did 2 sets before realizing that I could do higher weights.

I grabbed 15 lb weights and did 2 sets.

Next, I grabbed the 20 lb dumb bell (there was only 1 of them there - damnit) and I did 2 sets. My left arm struggled a bit, but I made it work.

Having done all the required sets (I was well over 4 sets), I just went back down to the 15 lb dumb bells and kept going (another 3-4 sets).

Lastly, I grabbed the 20 lb (again) and did another set before retiring for the day.

Total Gym Time: 1 hr 10 min

Total Dumb Bell Time: about 30 min

Total Satisfaction: 100% .... My shirt even got tight around the sleeve!

Last edited:
Work on getting 3-4 straight sets with a weight and when you can get 8 reps on every set, up the weight. This way your systematically de-loading but progressive overloading which means you are adapting to a certain weight THEN adapting to more volume then repeat.

It was unclear if my total arm workout in one day should be 3-4 sets, and then I would increase the weight in the following workout day.... or if I'm to do 3-4 sets at 15, and then to do another 3-4 sets at 20 (in the same workout day). Basically, I guess I'm asking at what point would I increase the weight....

Just a question... not to be rude. You say you are a grad student but here on here in 2002?

Either you are an older grad student or are on here somewhere around 12 yrs old? I'm guessing the latter... Had to ask.

bro... don't worry about being so self conscious.

EVERYONE starts somewhere in the gym, no one was huge when they first stepped in. it may seem like people are judging you, but they arent. when i go to the gym, im there to lift. as long as you arent curling in the rack on my leg day, i could care less what you do. i laugh at noobs who load up the bar and bench only lowering the bar 2 inches. i laugh at noobs who do 1000 sets of biceps every single day and then flex in the mirror between sets. i laugh at noobs who do team bench pressing. yet i respect the hell out of anyone squatting ATG, giving it their all. i respect people doing deadlifts, even if its lightweight. i respect proper form on pullups and controlling the negative. even if those people are 5'8 100 pounds, theyre good in my book. so don't be self conscious. if people are laughing at you- realize this. in 3 months assuming you get your diet in shape, you won't be the smallest person there. you say you avoid the area where all the ripped guys are, why? did they get ripped doing ab machines in the corner? no. they got to their size doing heavy compounds in the middle of the gym. in the gyms ive been to, most people are pretty friendly. you'll be fine.

as far as diet, simply eat more. eggs are great, cheap and lots of calories. easy to make as well. get some whey protein for after workouts. buy chicken breast in bulk along with brown rice. basically you should be eating 24/7 on a bulk.

also, get a routine. we can make you own here on ology if youd like. right now your plan of machines and biceps all the time isnt the best routine for gains. START WORKING LEGS!!!! have you EVER seen someone with a great set of legs that didn't also have a great upper body? didn't think so. make sure your back problem is ok before you start, but if the doctor clears you, its time to start deadlifting and squatting

also, get a routine. we can make you own here on ology if youd like. right now your plan of machines and biceps all the time isnt the best routine for gains. START WORKING LEGS!!!! have you EVER seen someone with a great set of legs that didn't also have a great upper body? didn't think so. make sure your back problem is ok before you start, but if the doctor clears you, its time to start deadlifting and squatting

I told this dude to check out my routine, but obviously he didn't do that. It's a damn good routine and spelled out so anyone can understand it. Eurotraveler, check out this routine and give it a shot.
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/training-forum/150643-live2trains-bulking-routine.html
As I stated before, it's not really for beginners, but you can cut some out until you are comfortable with it. It gives some pretty detailed explanations on how to perform lifts and all. You follow it for a few months and get your diet in check and your confindence will skyrocket. Forget about what people think about you. You are in the gym for you and nobody else. Get the results you want with the weights you are entitled to since you pay for a membership. Anyone who talks shit or gives you funny looks is just a punk anyhow. Man up and hit the free weights bro! It's in you, you just have to dig deep and get it out.

I told this dude to check out my routine, but obviously he didn't do that. It's a damn good routine and spelled out so anyone can understand it.

Thanks bro... I will definitely look at and print the bulking routine. It's just that I've only been on this board for a few days and there have been so many good responses to my posting. You guys have been great. I'm still getting situated, and please know that I appreciate all your advice.

On another note: my biceps are killing me today - since I worked them to absolute exhaustion yesterday. I'm proud of the pain... this is how I think it should be.

Thx again....

Slim, good for you! This will take a while, but you'll do well.

I'll recommend, like everyone else, free weights - because they work lots of different muscles - stabilisers as well as the primary groups.

And you must eat. :) Read all of 3Js stickies.

And I'll also answer your gyno question: yes, it does look as though you have some mild gyno. I suggest you think about breast reduction some time. (Yes, serious, and not trying to be smart at all. I've just read some stats that in Australia nearly half of the breast reductions are now on guys.)

But because of the gyno hint you may benefit from a very gentle dose of Aromatase inhibitor (AI) - get complete bloods done first so you have a baseline. Low Aromatase inhibitor (AI) - less gyno plus more testosterone - more muscle and less muffin top.

Slim, good for you! This will take a while, but you'll do well.

I'll recommend, like everyone else, free weights - because they work lots of different muscles - stabilisers as well as the primary groups.

And you must eat. :) Read all of 3Js stickies.

And I'll also answer your gyno question: yes, it does look as though you have some mild gyno. I suggest you think about breast reduction some time. (Yes, serious, and not trying to be smart at all. I've just read some stats that in Australia nearly half of the breast reductions are now on guys.)

But because of the gyno hint you may benefit from a very gentle dose of Aromatase inhibitor (AI) - get complete bloods done first so you have a baseline. Low Aromatase inhibitor (AI) - less gyno plus more testosterone - more muscle and less muffin top.

what the fuck are you talking about, gyno? this guy is not on any gear. did you even read his posts?

slim i would suggest the 5x5 routine since you are a complete beginner. i think that will work best for you. look it up in the stickies. and get those calories up higher. if you need to add one protein shake a day until you get used to eating so much that's fine, just eventually get rid of that shake and replace it with whole foods.

Congenital or hereditary gynecomastia is typically evident by the ages of 12 to 18 in boys. Thirty to sixty percent of young boys suffer from large male breasts. As many as thirty percent may live with enlarged male breasts for the rest of their lives, but in other cases the gynecomastia will recede with age. Don, you don't have to use AAS to have gyno, there are many forms of it bro. Also, I think my routine would do him a lot of good. Results speak for themselves and that's that. I have seen awesome results from everyone who has been on the routine as long as they listened to what I told them to do and how to do it. I'm not a professional, but I know my shit from years of trial and error.

Congenital or hereditary gynecomastia is typically evident by the ages of 12 to 18 in boys. Thirty to sixty percent of young boys suffer from large male breasts. As many as thirty percent may live with enlarged male breasts for the rest of their lives, but in other cases the gynecomastia will recede with age. Don, you don't have to use AAS to have gyno, there are many forms of it bro. Also, I think my routine would do him a lot of good. Results speak for themselves and that's that. I have seen awesome results from everyone who has been on the routine as long as they listened to what I told them to do and how to do it. I'm not a professional, but I know my shit from years of trial and error.

i know you don't have to use AAS to get gyno, i'm not dumb. he just never said that he had gyno, nor is he using AAS. I doubt he has gyno from puberty, he's 6'2 150. i was just stating where in the hell did that guy get he had gyno from? i never saw the op talking about that. and i'm not saying your routine doesn't work bro, but this guy is a true beginner and very thin, less volume is more in his case, his work capacity has to be very small. so that small window he has he needs to be doing just heavy compound movements and 5x5 would work great for him for the first few months. once his work capacity increases and he puts on about 20 pounds your routine would probably be a good change of pace.

i know you don't have to use AAS to get gyno, i'm not dumb. he just never said that he had gyno, nor is he using AAS. I doubt he has gyno from puberty, he's 6'2 150. i was just stating where in the hell did that guy get he had gyno from? i never saw the op talking about that. and i'm not saying your routine doesn't work bro, but this guy is a true beginner and very thin, less volume is more in his case, his work capacity has to be very small. so that small window he has he needs to be doing just heavy compound movements and 5x5 would work great for him for the first few months. once his work capacity increases and he puts on about 20 pounds your routine would probably be a good change of pace.

Right on bro, I just thought you were saying my routine was garbage. I guess that's just me jumping to conclusions, which I have a problem doing. His pics that he took talk about gyno. He asks in them if it's gyno and it most certainly is a form of gyno IMO. I'm not a medical professional, but with his body having no fat on it, I would assure it has to be gyno. I wouldn't think the fat would just say lets sit in his tits only. LOL. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding bro, I appreciate it instead of us having some heated debate and shit. Sorry I took things wrong.

Right on bro, I just thought you were saying my routine was garbage. I guess that's just me jumping to conclusions, which I have a problem doing. His pics that he took talk about gyno. He asks in them if it's gyno and it most certainly is a form of gyno IMO. I'm not a medical professional, but with his body having no fat on it, I would assure it has to be gyno. I wouldn't think the fat would just say lets sit in his tits only. LOL. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding bro, I appreciate it instead of us having some heated debate and shit. Sorry I took things wrong.

oh no man i didn't mean your shit was garbage, probably just better suited for guys who have been lifting for a couple years atleast. yeah i guess i didn't see those posts, i've been in the field for 3 days and just got back. yeah if he has any form of adipose tissue around his nipples and he's that thin could be mild gyno. sorry to the guy i snapped at earlier. rough week.

Dude fuck that shit. Go lift and tell everyone else to come over and suck your Dick if they stair at you. No one is born huge well some are but most aren't. If your gonna be a scared Bitch about it go quit the gym and join a checkers club or a bowling league for your forearms cause your wasting yours and everyone else heres time. Also for fucks sake go get a shopping cart full of chicken and eggs and eat tons of it everyday. Fuck that weightgainer shit. You need meat and real muscle building food. Tv dinners have too much sodium and replace those with a Chinese buffet.

Last edited:
Dude fuck that shit. Go lift and tell everyone else to come over and suck your Dick if they stair at you. No one is born huge well some are but most aren't. If your gonna be a scared Bitch about it go quit the gym and join a checkers club or a bowling league for your forearms cause your wasting yours and everyone else heres time. Also for fucks sake go get a shopping cart full of chicken and eggs and eat tons of it everyday. Fuck that weightgainer shit. You need meat and real muscle building food. Tv dinners have too much sodium and replace those with a Chinese buffet.

Someone had a bad day! LMFAO bro, I wanted to say something along these lines, but I was trying to be nice. I get annoyed when I give advice to people and they ignore it. I have better shit to do with my time than give advice that goes in one ear and out the other. Sometimes I think people are fucking with us when they post this sort of shit. Then again, it takes all kinds to make the world go around, so that's where my advice and time come in at helping those people, I just wish it wasn't being wasted.

Back