My Forearms look like Toothpicks - Help, Please!

think OP will make some good gains though. he's at least sticking around. drives me crazy when someone makes one post, i respond to it, and then they never post in the thread again, not even to say thank you! its like cmon, i put in the work to help and youre never gonna post again?

slim i would suggest the 5x5 routine since you are a complete beginner. i think that will work best for you. look it up in the stickies. and get those calories up higher. if you need to add one protein shake a day until you get used to eating so much that's fine, just eventually get rid of that shake and replace it with whole foods.

Very many thanks for the information. I have been really good about increasing my intake, despite the fact that I'm getting fat (abs and lower back - believe it or not) and it looks HORRIBLE. So you guys were right, the chicken breasts are great because they are low fat and high protein. I actually ate 5 breast tenderloins + black eye peas + pasta + OJ for breakfast (this morning after my workout).

I can get rid of the fat just as easily as I put it on... all I have to do is hit the treadmill or do jump-rope exercises.

what the fuck are you talking about, gyno? this guy is not on any gear. did you even read his posts?

Hi Donjob, he was referring to the caption I put on my picture from the side. I've never (in my life) taken my shirt of in public, because of the little tit-looking stuff around my nips.

You have a ways to go, but I think you will notice substantial gains in a short time given you follow the advice we have given you. Good luck!

Hi Live2Train, As you know I have expressed a great deal of appreciation for your help. I have taken your advice and have worked on trying to tailor the program to something based on my weight and lack of experience. It's an excellent routine that you've posted.

Your 'nutrition' advice is definitely spot-on!

slim i would suggest the 5x5 routine since you are a complete beginner. i think that will work best for you. look it up in the stickies. and get those calories up higher. if you need to add one protein shake a day until you get used to eating so much that's fine, just eventually get rid of that shake and replace it with whole foods.

Good morning,

I have really given my diet a boost over the past week, thanks to you guys....however, I must report that fat is hopping on my body like crazy. The fat pockets in my lower back look yucky and the modest cuts I could see in my abdomen area have disappeared underneath a layer of fat.

So, as mentioned earlier, I'm not going to just eat any and everything. I'll ingest a more selective diet (chicken breasts, tuna, etc. They seem to be lower in fat). No more freshly baked croissants at the French bakery, ugh! No more Krispy Kremes (except last night... I just HAD to buy a single glazed)!

More cardio is on the way. One meal replacement shake is on the way.

Thanks again,

Dude fuck that shit. Go lift and tell everyone else to come over and suck your Dick ... If your gonna be a scared Bitch about it go quit the gym and join a checkers club or a bowling league for your forearms cause your wasting yours and everyone else heres time. Fuck that weightgainer shit.

I want to say that I know (I believe) your intention is earnest. You're trying to help the best way you know, but the way you delivered the message was a little sharp.

I'm a really friendly guy. I'm a super-nice chap. I'm working toward being a professor (very Type B). While I recognize that some people need the 'reality check,' that is certainly not the case for me. I'm not rejecting any advice that I'm being given and I've been earnestly implementing every single thing that I've read here. I've been open and shared my background, fears, progress, etc.

I respect everybody up here so much and ... well... Nevermind, but thanks for your time. If nothing else, I've learned that a basket full of chicken and eggs is useful.

Lol I'm just bein honest. Ya man I feel ya. It's the same ole same ole. People are just flat out lazy.

Seriously? I know you've got over 3,000 posts, but are most of them from calling people lazy, telling people to eat at the Chinese buffet, telling people to go join a chess club instead of working out, etc.? How in the world did my thread take this weird turn? I was only away for less than a day. PLAY NICE BOYS.

I wanted to say something along these lines, but I was trying to be nice. I get annoyed when I give advice to people and they ignore it. I have better shit to do with my time than give advice that goes in one ear and out the other.

Live2Train, have you any idea how much your posts have meant to my workouts over the past week? Did you not read my post from days ago, that in the gym, I actually pulled up YOUR workout idea on my iPhone and followed it while I was there? I know we're all guys and all, but let's try to keep it respectful on this thread. I respect each of you and I feel privileged to have your attention and advice.

think OP will make some good gains though. he's at least sticking around. drives me crazy when someone makes one post, i respond to it, and then they never post in the thread again, not even to say thank you! its like cmon, i put in the work to help and youre never gonna post again?

Mispronounced, you're an amazing advocate for progress. Even if people you help don't thank you, please remember that your postings help the many others that read the threads.

Just in case there's anyone who thinks I'm not thankful, here is a nice little list of all my "Thank you's" over time!

Thanks for the response.

This was an excellent reply...

Hey bro... a sincere "Thank you" for being so attentive about the concern I have with my weight. Again, I'm feeling good with the new curves I'm seeing on my body...

This is excellent information. Thank you. I need to look up "Compound movements".... but whatever they are, I'll do them.

Don is an excellent guy and I definitely appreciate every piece of advice he's provided. I'm working on it. Everything everyone has offered seems super-doable.

Thanks bro... I will definitely look at and print the bulking routine. It's just that I've only been on this board for a few days and there have been so many good responses to my posting. You guys have been great. I'm still getting situated, and please know that I appreciate all your advice.

Thx again....

Last edited:
as far as you putting on fat too quickly- how many calories are you eating per day? sorry if youve already mentioned this.

even eating perfectly "clean" such as chicken, eggs, oats, etc for all your foods, you can still gain more fat than someone eating mcdonalds every meal if your calories are too high

its inevitable youll gain some fat on a bulk, we just try to limit that as much as possible (at least i do, some people just eat as much as they want and worry about cutting fat later. i like short cutting periods so i do more of a lean bulk instead)

Seriously? I know you've got over 3,000 posts, but are most of them from calling people lazy, telling people to eat at the Chinese buffet, telling people to go join a chess club instead of working out, etc.? How in the world did my thread take this weirdturn? I was only away for less than a day. PLAY NICE BOYS.
ok Bro read his post then read mine. We were talking in general about the stuff we see everyday here. Wasn't towards u. Ok here it is with the best mannerism I can. Listen you can talk about this and talk about that but if you don't stop talking about it and doing something about it nothing will happen. Don't be scared. These people don't know you so cares if they stair. You need to eat calories and that's what I was referring to with the buffet thing.

sucks about the fat gain man, and yeah 99% of people gain fat around the midsection before anything else, and you don't want fat anywhere. no one does, it does absoloutely nothing, i don't care what anyone says. i figured since you were so skinny you were a fat burning machine like me, i can literally eat a tub of lard and a loaf of bread every day and my bf% would probably only go up 1% in 2 weeks. i have a high metabolism and when i'm lifting my heart rate stays up, i'm out of breath and i'm sweating buckets. i can get away with an entiman's doughnut with 2 glasses of milk at night or wendy's for lunch once in a while, i still have a slight six pack. you obviously are and ecto endo, a skinny fat guy. i believe you're so skinny because you simply just don't eat, and now you're trying to make up for it and change your lifestyle by gorging now and it is turning into fat because you CAN gain weight. eat cleaner and drop the calories by 250. if you need to a week or two later drop it another 100. you are not going to gain muscle quickly, you are not going to weigh 170 pounds all muscle in 3 weeks. it takes time, it is a marathon not a race. i forget who said it in a post above but even if your foods are 100% clean, if you have an excess in calories, if your body can not use it for muscle it gets stored as fat. that's why you need to drop cals gradually until you find your sweet spot, then as you gain lean muscle mass gradually increase cals. workout intensely and in 6 months you will weigh atleast 170 with less than 10% bodyfat. after that you will have found what works best for your body as far as nutrition and training goes and that's when you begin to form your own routine. 2 years from now you will be a pretty big dude if you stay focused, determined and motivated. stick around these boards man, and DON'T GIVE UP.

sucks about the fat gain man, and yeah 99% of people gain fat around the midsection before anything else, and you don't want fat anywhere. no one does, it does absoloutely nothing, i don't care what anyone says. i figured since you were so skinny you were a fat burning machine like me, i can literally eat a tub of lard and a loaf of bread every day and my bf% would probably only go up 1% in 2 weeks. i have a high metabolism and when i'm lifting my heart rate stays up, i'm out of breath and i'm sweating buckets. i can get away with an entiman's doughnut with 2 glasses of milk at night or wendy's for lunch once in a while, i still have a slight six pack. you obviously are and ecto endo, a skinny fat guy. i believe you're so skinny because you simply just don't eat, and now you're trying to make up for it and change your lifestyle by gorging now and it is turning into fat because you CAN gain weight. eat cleaner and drop the calories by 250. if you need to a week or two later drop it another 100. you are not going to gain muscle quickly, you are not going to weigh 170 pounds all muscle in 3 weeks. it takes time, it is a marathon not a race. i forget who said it in a post above but even if your foods are 100% clean, if you have an excess in calories, if your body can not use it for muscle it gets stored as fat. that's why you need to drop cals gradually until you find your sweet spot, then as you gain lean muscle mass gradually increase cals. workout intensely and in 6 months you will weigh atleast 170 with less than 10% bodyfat. after that you will have found what works best for your body as far as nutrition and training goes and that's when you begin to form your own routine. 2 years from now you will be a pretty big dude if you stay focused, determined and motivated. stick around these boards man, and DON'T GIVE UP.
To be young!!! If i even looked at a loaf of bread, would gain 3%

ok Bro read his post then read mine. We were talking in general about the stuff we see everyday here. Wasn't towards u. Ok here it is with the best mannerism I can. Listen you can talk about this and talk about that but if you don't stop talking about it and doing something about it nothing will happen. Don't be scared. These people don't know you so cares if they stair. You need to eat calories and that's what I was referring to with the buffet thing.

I appreciate this. I'm definitely trying to get arms like you, and I think I'm on my way!

To be honest, I burn my calories fast, too. Since I teach college (as a teaching assistant while I'm enrolled --- mentioning, b/c I'm sure somebody would say "...but I thought you were a grad student." LOL ), I've been extremely sedentary. This means I'll wake up, eat, workout on workout days and get back in the bed for another 8 hrs per day + my full night's sleep. I'll get up a few times per day to eat, and get back in bed w/ my laptop and TV and DVR to keep me company. My previous non-existent diet was okay for that, but with the increased calories being ingested it seems that the body is being confused.

A few days on a treadmill will take care of this. I once got up to a 35 waist (during the summer of 2009 when I wasn't working). I got fat and then I lost it when I started back to work.

I think I just need to increase my cardio again. The problem is this... I was always advised against using the treadmill when trying to gain. I'm supposed to ingest more calories and then keep them for the purpose of gaining mass. I was advised that if I burn my calories on the treadmill then I won't have them available for building muscle.

Am I off-base?

post your diet up, we can fix it for you.

diet is 80% of your gains, lifting is the other 20%. (yes i know im leaving something out, inb4 called out on it)

My Workout Today

My chest is on swole!

Okay, I worked out today. I even worked out downstairs with the Muscle Dudes. Yay!

Okay, so I didn't do bench press. I'm still getting to learn my way around the gym - especially downstairs. I pulled up Live2Train's workout on my iPhone and followed all the routine for chest.

I did incline dumb bell press (4 sets).
I did champagnes (6 sets)
I did dumb bell flys (4 sets)
I did a lot of curls.

I was there for 1 hour. When I came home, I grilled some chicken breast tenderloins (1% fat) and had some black eye peas and pasta and Orange juice (I know water is better, but I didn't have any).

Commentary:

Those dumb bell flys are AMAZING and my chest is still feeling the heat. The pecs really got an amazing stretch today. Right underneath my shoulder blade, I'm feeling a bit of swell, too.

I'm sorry to report that although my back pain had decreased significantly, I cracked my spine yesterday - Innocently - and pushed something out of place. Now, on every move, I feel the slipped disc pushing on my nerve and emitting sharp pains. Wishing I had dedicated myself to working out long ago... then I wouldn't be in such bad shape!

This isn't a big deal. I just had to reach down and push myself up off the bench! My arms are still feeling TIGHT... although I have no idea why I didn't do triceps, today, too. I'm getting there...

Last edited:
Back