My Forearms look like Toothpicks - Help, Please!

Glad to see you're hitting it bro. You don't need to do 6 sets of champagnes bro, it's only 4. Also, you need to hit that bench press no matter who is there to watch you. I know it can be intimidating when you can't do much, but you need to realize you have to start somewhere and just do it. You would benefit from a lifting partner as well. Do you know anyone you could lift with? You are taking steps in the right direction and that's awesome man. You will be glad you did and your body is in for some changes. Take it slow and get your form down, I don't want to hear that you hurt yourself trying to do too much too fast. You're on your way man.

You don't need to do 6 sets of champagnes bro, it's only 4.

I know... but they were just so much fun. And, the funny thing is that 'at first' they seemed so damn simple / easy, but once my form improved (by not stopping to let the weights touch my chest - because that causes a break in the movement, keeping the two weights together, and used controlled movements), I felt it immediately and my chest was screaming for more! I've been flexing ever since I got home... and even this morning. Live2Train you're creating a monster over here!

I know... but they were just so much fun. And, the funny thing is that 'at first' they seemed so damn simple / easy, but once my form improved (by not stopping to let the weights touch my chest - because that causes a break in the movement, keeping the two weights together, and used controlled movements), I felt it immediately and my chest was screaming for more! I've been flexing ever since I got home... and even this morning. Live2Train you're creating a monster over here!

Thanks bro, but always remember that you're creating the monster I'm only helping in providing the tools to help you do so. You have it in your bro and I'll be following you on here to make sure you stick to it. The champagnes are awesome aren't they? I tell everyone about them and there are many at my gym who have now incorporated them into their routines. Keep it up bro! Just be careful not to let the weights slip, as they will smash the hell out of your fingers.

I appreciate this. I'm definitely trying to get arms like you, and I think I'm on my way!
You coming on to me? Lol jk. Ya I'm glad to see some workouts here. Keep on keeping on. Will make a man out of you yet!! Lol my arms really aren't even that big. I'd say average.
Thanks for the kind words though!!

You coming on to me? Lol jk. Ya I'm glad to see some workouts here. Keep on keeping on. Will make a man out of you yet!! Lol my arms really aren't even that big. I'd say average.
Thanks for the kind words though!!

Hummm... maybe. My subconscious has its moments. But, yeah, if my arms can just look like what you define as "average," then I'd feel accomplished. Remember, I don't want to look like a big muscle man... just to be athletic and normal.

To be honest, at first I thought this guy was playing a damn joke on us. 1000 calories a day and thinks he can grow, I'm surprised he doesn't pass out from hunger, I know I would.

When I first read this message, I was like "WTF," but now I see what Live2Train was talking about. I have started counting and charting my calories and protein intake and I see that I have been eating quite a bit more than 1,000 calories per day.

My problem was that I just picked up a couple of items I eat each day and looked at the calories. When I would see 60 calories, 80 calories, 130 calories, I basically was like "Damn, I am only getting a few calories per day." I now realize that I eat more than the "suggested serving sizes" and that I need to count every single thing that goes in my mouth (I hope bigherm2121 isn't reading this !!).

So, for example, by the time I finished breakfast this morning, I had ingested 1,340 calories. My dinner last night (1 hour before bedtime) came up to around 1,000 calories. So, I suppose I was wrong in my original posting, so I can now understand why I wasn't taken too seriously by some.

post your diet up, we can fix it for you.

diet is 80% of your gains, lifting is the other 20%.

I'm charting my entire intake and I will post my typical diet in a couple of days. I do not have the best memory so I need to "live" my diet in order to accurately report it. Actually, I wish I could remember what I had for dinner two nights ago... I cooked a massive meal, but by the time I finished, I felt like a sluggish fat rat and fell asleep!

I just thought of something... My intake seems to hover around 2500 cal / day with about 500 of them being Cal from fat. It would be higher, but I'm way too lazy to cook more and buying more food, well... you know ($$).

So, in a couple of weeks, I'm going on my cruise. There's unlimited food and I'm going to be eating AT LEAST 5,000 cal / day - no doubt. There's also a very, very nice gym. So, I will be getting STUFFED and working out plenty aboard.

After I get off the cruise, I'll be in foreign territory for 3 months. I'm unsure how accessible gyms will be, but I'll be doing some searching. I wonder if I could get 1 month memberships as I make my way through EU. The problem is that I won't really be in one place for very long.

It's always seeming like things come up that interrupt my goals to improve my body... but I'm going to try my hardest.

P.S. My cal intake as of now (8:38 pm) is around 2,400 cal. I want, so badly, to run to the market and grab a steak to throw on the George Foreman grill around 11 pm.

Hello Guys,

I'm back! Like I had mentioned prior to my departure, I went to Europe and stayed for 3.5 months. The first part started with a cruise from NYC to England --- which was 8 days long. The gym on-board was not very impressive, so I only got 1 day of working out done. While in Germany, I joined a gym and went about 3 days per week (and would you believe the Germans get soooo bent out of shape if you don't use towels on EVERY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT YOU USE???? ). I was wondering what all the mean and evil looks were for (from everybody) and then someone went to whisper to one of the hosts and he came to scream at me in German!).

Despite all the croissants and other baked goods I ate there, I gained no weight. I knew it was going to be challenging, so no harm, no foul.

Now that I'm back, I've purchased a few items to workout at home. Joining a gym right now is not possible, because memberships here in NYC are around $150/month and I prefer to save money and get my workout program started in the comfort of my own living room.

GYM ITEMS PURCHASED:

-Roman Chair / hyper-extension for lower back and it's good for general stretching, too.
-Pair of dumbbells (15 pound each ... that's my level right now (and I wanna cap at 25 anyway), so don't judge me, muscleheads!)
-a very nice Addidas flat weight bench
-a jump rope for cardio
-a Slendertone Ab muscle toner

My diet is good and I've purchased some weight gainer, which actually seems to be quite an improvement over the stuff I tried in the late 90's... (that old-fashioned stuff sent me to the emergency room after 1 dose!). This stuff is easy to mix, no lumps and tastes pretty good actually. I've been using ONE SERVING, but my blender arrives today, so I'll start doing TWO SERVINGS starting tomorrow (or maybe late tonight).

Since I've just started back my workouts, I've wanted to start slow.

HERE IS A PRINTOUT OF MY WORKOUTS OVER THE PAST WEEK AND A HALF. At the beginning of next week, I'll start following the workout posted earlier in this forum by my buddy.... (forgot his name, since I've been gone these months, but I'll remember it soon!)

As you look through, keep in mind that I always do 3 sets of each exercise and around 8 reps. Sometimes, I might do 9 or 10, depending on whether I'm feeling eager and enthusiastic, but mostly I'm about to give out of breath on the 8th rep! So, if you see 26, that means I did 2 more than necessary. And when you see "30" (which you will see in almost every exercise, that's a symbolization of me having 15# dumbbells in each hand).

Jan 08, 2013
Dumbbell Bench Press (Decline_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 26 --

Dumbbell Fly (Flat Bench) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 25

Barbell Pullover (Flat Bench) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 25

Dumbbell Bench Press (Decline_Neutral Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 24

Dumbbell Fly (Rear Delt) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 24

Champagnes Set Count weight(lbs) reps sets Notes
1 30.0 25 -

Jan 06, 2013
Barbell Bench Press (Flat_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 26

Dumbbell Bench Press (Incline_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 25

Dumbbell Triceps Extension (Incline Bench) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 26

Dumbbell Biceps Curl (Zottman) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 25

1 15.0 27

Barbell Shrug Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 28

Dumbbell Biceps Curl (Neutral Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 24 15 lb on each side

Dumbbell Biceps Curl (Preacher_Neutral Grip_Sitting_Single Arm) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 16 8 reps each arm. Too tired to finish

Dumbbell Triceps Kickback (Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 24

Jan 03, 2013
Dumbbell Pullover (Flat Bench) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 24

1 30.0 24

1 15.0 24

Barbell Bench Press (Flat_Overhand Wide Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 30

Barbell Row (Prone_Incline Bench) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 24

Dumbbell Biceps Curl (Underhand Grip_Prone_Flat Bench) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 24

1 30.0 24 -

Roman Chair Hyperextension Set Count reps sets Notes
1 10 3

Jan 01, 2013
Barbell Bench Press (Incline_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 26

Dumbbell Bench Press (Flat_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 26

1 30.0 24

Barbell Biceps Curl (Underhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 26 Used dumb bells instead

Dumbbell Biceps Curl (Underhand Grip_Concentration_Single Arm) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 24 Each arm x 24 reps

Dumbbell Shrug (Overhead) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 25

1 15.0 24

Dumbbell Fly (Incline Bench_Prone) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 30.0 27 2 sets standing butterfly

1 30.0 24 -

Roman Chair Hyperextension Set Count reps sets Notes
1 8 4

Dec 30, 2012
Dumbbell Row (Bent Over_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 27

Dumbbell Bench Press (Incline_Overhand Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 27

1 15.0 25

Dumbbell Biceps Curl (Neutral Grip) Set Count weight(lbs) reps Notes
1 15.0 27

Update on my Diet, Workouts, Muscle Development, Weight-gain and Body Metrics

Here's an update guys:

I have been gone for a while. As some may recall, I was heading away from the USA….but I’m back now. My working out is starting to feel great – thanks to all the helpful advice I have received from you guys. I only started working out ‘regularly’ (in the gym) since about 1 month ago. When I left last year, I stopped all working out etc because I was in various countries ……some had gyms, others didn’t, etc.

Here’s just a short progress note:

DIET
I am eating in the 2,000-2,700 calorie/day range – this includes at least 3 full meals and 2 shakes. I wish I could eat more, but I just cannot see how that would be possible. I guess I just do not know what kind of food to buy and when to eat it, etc. Coming from such a low-intake background, buying protein-rich foods is not intuitive for me.

donjob once mentioned that 3000 and 4000 calorie diets are easy to achieve, thereby alleviating the need for weight gainers, etc. We need to discuss this!

Are there any sample diets posted up here / like a Sunday thru Saturday (breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. kind of diet)? If so, I’ll just go and buy what I see on the list and stick to it.

WEIGHT GAIN

One month ago, I was 154 pounds and 6-foot2

I am presently 165 pounds right now. I have gained approximately 11 pounds in the past 1 month.

MUSCLES
After working out, I feel great and I look amazing in the mirrors. In the following days, the swelling subsides. I am resting well.

GYM ACTIVITIES

I am very serious when I go to the gym now. I have started pushing the envelope a bit. I try to be consistent about doing 4-5 sets of everything and I don’t give up unless I just cannot push it any more. Recently, I have adopted Live2Train’s workout. Before that, I was just moving from station to station with no real focus.

SUPPLEMENTATION

I know some of you feel like this is a bad idea, but I am a person who needs motivation (because I work out alone) and it is my normal predisposition to give up immediately when something seems difficult (even moderately difficult), so I need to gain focus and all that. Therefore, I’ve adopted the following:

Morning
1 scoop of NutriWhey
1 packet – WODPak

Pre-Workout
1 serving Bullnox
5 grams of Glutamine

During Workout
1 Scoop of Natural Amino

Post-Workout
5 grams of Creatine (mono)
+ a meal as quickly as I can

Bedtime NutriWhey Shake

At the moment, I need dieting help. I’m going to continue along with Live2Train’s workout.

A Word About Pull-ups / Chin-ups! Oh, and I cannot do the chin-ups/pull-ups yet, but I use the assisted chin-ups/pull-ups machine (uses counterweights). I still feel the burn in my upper back, so it’s working but not with my full weight.

My Body Metrics

Neck: 15”
Arms: 13.1”
Waist: 33” (Whatdafuck??! I am skinny as hell. I think this is the fat pockets in my flanks)
Hips: 36.5”
Thighs: 21”
Calfs: 15”
Abdominals: 32”
Chest: 35.5”

P.S. donjob and Live2Train constantly say "Do not overdo it" - but I have to admit that it frustrates me to leave a station knowing I could do more, I could go for another set, etc. I thought the objective was to go until you can't go anymore. I thought that's how muscles grow bigger.

Back