my new strength routine, Does it look ok or is it to much?

spiderpig

I'm not a bodybuilder!
I'm not looking to body build, but i was planning on doing about 15 weeks on this type of routine, now each 5x5 workout in this, i will be adding, 2kg every week to it.

How does it look so far, After each session i will be doing just 2000M rowing apart from Wednesday as you will see, Now I'm no expert on routines I have just been doing what I want, but all these exercises and how there laid out is how they work best for me!

Honest opinions guys? is it to much or will it be great for a 15 week strength builder.

MONDAY

5x5 BACK SQUATS.
3X8 LEG PRESS.
3X8 LEG EXTENSIONS.
3X8 LEG CURLS.
3X6 DUMBBELL LUNGES.
3x10 SMITH MACHINE CALF RAISES.
3X30 LEG PRESS CALF RAIESES. MIXED FOOT POSITIONS

TUESDAY

5X5 FLAT BENCH PRESS.
5x5 INCLINE BENCH PRESS.
3X8 CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS.
4X8 DUMBBELL FLYS.
3x10 CABLE CROSSOVERS.
3x10 MACHINE TRICEP EXTENIONS.
3X8 SKULL CRUSHERS.
3X8 WEIGHTED DIPS.

WEDNESDAY
2500M Rowing, 10 Minutes on exercise bike or treadmill, 3x30,3x20,3x10 sit ups, X2 Front planks 1 minute each then both side planks. (1 minute each)

THURSDAY

3X8 FRONT LATERAL PULLDOWNS
3X8 BACK LATERAL PULLDOWNS
3X6 CABLE ROWS
4X8 BENT OVER ROWS
5X5 DEADLIFTS
3x8 MACHINE ROW PULLS
4x8 DUMBBELL HAMMER CURLS
4X8 PREACHER CURL
3X20 CABLE CURLS

FRIDAY

3x8 MILATERY PRESS
3X8 DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS
3x10 BUTTERFLIES
3X8 UP-RIGHT ROW
4X15 DUMBBELL SHRUGS

PS: going light on shoulder and not doing much due to an injury that im nearly recovered from.

Last edited:
I think you could cut out 2-3 exercises a day and have better results. Just seems a bit much to me, example: for Monday you do incline bench/flat bench/incline press/close grip bench THEN flies/crossovers. You could probably get rid of the close grips/incline machine easily and still make pretty damn good gains. I think I do 4 exercises for chest TOTAL and have been seeing really great results whereas I used to do this crazy incline/decline/flat/narrow/superset/dumbbell flat/dumbbell incline/flat-bench rows and really felt I had limited gains. Then again, we are all different and this might just be the ticket to make you grow like a monster! :)

I think you could cut out 2-3 exercises a day and have better results. Just seems a bit much to me, example: for Monday you do incline bench/flat bench/incline press/close grip bench THEN flies/crossovers. You could probably get rid of the close grips/incline machine easily and still make pretty damn good gains. I think I do 4 exercises for chest TOTAL and have been seeing really great results whereas I used to do this crazy incline/decline/flat/narrow/superset/dumbbell flat/dumbbell incline/flat-bench rows and really felt I had limited gains. Then again, we are all different and this might just be the ticket to make you grow like a monster! :)

Thanks m8, I gotta be honest for leg and back say on these, i pretty much do these anyway, and iv'e had incredible results just over the past 2 months, think i'll take your adivce on the chest workout, Thanks m8, i knew it needed tweaking lol ;)

You're going to find that after the first few weeks you will not be able to add weight to the bar on a regular basis. The intensity will begin to peak and your volume is way too high to keep intensity peaked for so long. Something will give and it will be your recovery. Are you training for strength now or more for mass? This answer will help influence your exercise selection and type of progression/periodization.

Thanks m8, I gotta be honest for leg and back say on these, i pretty much do these anyway, and iv'e had incredible results just over the past 2 months, think i'll take your adivce on the chest workout, Thanks m8, i knew it needed tweaking lol ;)
Let us know how the new routine goes! I'm a big fan of mixing things up and am always on the lookout on how to improve routines. :D
You're going to find that after the first few weeks you will not be able to add weight to the bar on a regular basis. The intensity will begin to peak and your volume is way too high to keep intensity peaked for so long. Something will give and it will be your recovery. Are you training for strength now or more for mass? This answer will help influence your exercise selection and type of progression/periodization.
He stated he's looking for strength, but I totally agree with your statements. Nothing worse than hitting a plateau. :(

If you're looking for pure strength for specific lifts or functional strength I would ditch most of the machine work. With that many lifts everyday progression is going to be difficult.

If you're looking for pure strength for specific lifts or functional strength I would ditch most of the machine work. With that many lifts everyday progression is going to be difficult.

Well this is why I come to ask for advice, and i respect your answers, I'm kinda looking for strengh/muscle building, I'm confused myself lol But yeah my main goals at this moment intime are to improve bench, squat & my all time favorite DEADLIFT! :)

Well this is why I come to ask for advice, and i respect your answers, I'm kinda looking for strengh/muscle building, I'm confused myself lol But yeah my main goals at this moment intime are to improve bench, squat & my all time favorite DEADLIFT! :)

Those are a few of my main lifts right there too. Machine work may have its place in certain training programs but rarely do they carry over strength into the compound lifts. For that reason and because like you, I want strength over anything else, I stick to compounds and free weights. How many days per week are you looking to lift and would you rather full body workouts or more of a split like push/pull and/or upper/lower?

Also what are your working weights for your main lifts? 5rm maxes etc?

I'm not gonna lie, When i first started training I was in a shitty home made gym, with just heavy dumbbels and a smith machine, i got up to using the 40kg dumbbels for 10 reps on chest, 30kg on shoulders, deadlift not sure back then, and i did no legs, now about 2-3 months ago i have started a new gym, im revocering from a shoulder injury at the moment so im taking shoulders and chest easy, i was repping 100kg for 12 reps and about 10kg for 5-6, now my squat is new to dont forget i only been at squatting for a few months, but i can now rep 130kg for 5x5 going to parallel, my deadlift is 240kg 1RM 170kg for 10 reps, about 190kg for 5 reps

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, When i first started training I was in a shitty home made gym, with just heavy dumbbels and a smith machine, i got up to using the 40kg dumbbels for 10 reps on chest, 30kg on shoulders, deadlift not sure back then, and i did no legs, now about 2-3 months ago i have started a new gym, im revocering from a shoulder injury at the moment so im taking shoulders and chest easy, i was repping 100kg for 12 reps and about 10kg for 5-6, now my squat is new to dont forget i only been at squatting for a few months, but i can now rep 130kg for 5x5 going to parallel, my deadlift is 240kg 1RM 170kg for 10 reps, about 190kg for 5 reps

With numbers like that I would seriously think about the Madcow 5x5 or Texas method by Rippetoe if strength is number 1. Other options are a push/pull split or wendler's 5/3/1. I've personally tried Madcows 5x5 and loved it. Great strength gains after several weeks I added some accessory lifts to help lagging body parts. This time around I'll be doing the Texas method when I get my lifts up to where I want them. Whatever program you try do it as stated with no modifications for a few weeks. Then when you no longer provide the necessary stressors to recover stronger start adding in a few lifts here and there or we can try and come up with a personalized routine.

With numbers like that I would seriously think about the Madcow 5x5 or Texas method by Rippetoe if strength is number 1. Other options are a push/pull split or wendler's 5/3/1. I've personally tried Madcows 5x5 and loved it. Great strength gains after several weeks I added some accessory lifts to help lagging body parts. This time around I'll be doing the Texas method when I get my lifts up to where I want them. Whatever program you try do it as stated with no modifications for a few weeks. Then when you no longer provide the necessary stressors to recover stronger start adding in a few lifts here and there or we can try and come up with a personalized routine.

I'm pretty pissed off m8, I went the gym earlier, hit the bench just wamring up with 40kg and i felt my shoulder was irritated again! I skipped it right away, It's getting beyond a joke now :(

I'm pretty pissed off m8, I went the gym earlier, hit the bench just wamring up with 40kg and i felt my shoulder was irritated again! I skipped it right away, It's getting beyond a joke now :(

I hear you, I have nagging back, knee, and elbow injuries that flare up from time to time bc I'm too stubborn to take enough time off to let them properly heal. What I suggest is ice and heat if there's any swelling and lay off bench for the time being. Also take a video of your form on your lifts and post them up, maybe you have slight form problems that can be easily corrected. I know it sounds cheesy but get some light dumbbells and do some rotation exercises, rotator cuff exercises, and some band exercises to slowly strengthen it back up. The second you feel anything wrong you stop but gradually up the intensity after this current discomfort goes away. You can still do Madcow or Texas method you just substitute an chest exercise for bench and I think you can still get away with military presses since there's not much rotator cuff involvement in the exercise.

I hear you, I have nagging back, knee, and elbow injuries that flare up from time to time bc I'm too stubborn to take enough time off to let them properly heal. What I suggest is ice and heat if there's any swelling and lay off bench for the time being. Also take a video of your form on your lifts and post them up, maybe you have slight form problems that can be easily corrected. I know it sounds cheesy but get some light dumbbells and do some rotation exercises, rotator cuff exercises, and some band exercises to slowly strengthen it back up. The second you feel anything wrong you stop but gradually up the intensity after this current discomfort goes away. You can still do Madcow or Texas method you just substitute an chest exercise for bench and I think you can still get away with military presses since there's not much rotator cuff involvement in the exercise.

^^^^ SAGE advice right there. Youtube rotator cuff exercises if you don't know them. They make a WORLD of a difference! I do recommend being careful with military press though unless you're able to keep the line of motion in FRONT of your head as going behind can require the usage of the deltoids for stabilization. My wife is having a similar problem in that her chest muscles aren't really able to keep up with the program I have her on right now, so I'm having to build up her delts really slowly since she likes to (it's kind of funny to watch) swing her elbows out and make the delts do the work. I'm not saying you have poor form, but it is nice to have a second pair of eyes see if there is a problem with how the range of motion is progressing through a lift. :)

^^^^ SAGE advice right there. Youtube rotator cuff exercises if you don't know them. They make a WORLD of a difference! I do recommend being careful with military press though unless you're able to keep the line of motion in FRONT of your head as going behind can require the usage of the deltoids for stabilization. My wife is having a similar problem in that her chest muscles aren't really able to keep up with the program I have her on right now, so I'm having to build up her delts really slowly since she likes to (it's kind of funny to watch) swing her elbows out and make the delts do the work. I'm not saying you have poor form, but it is nice to have a second pair of eyes see if there is a problem with how the range of motion is progressing through a lift. :)

yeah i did m8 a few weeks back i have a few dumbbells at home, i have been doing them every other day, I forget sometimes lol but yeah i will thanks again bro

I will give the military press a try m8, I can use machines pretty well without any irritence from my shoulder, thanks mate

I will give the military press a try m8, I can use machines pretty well without any irritence from my shoulder, thanks mate

The problem with machines is they limit range of motion and you're required to go in the plane of movement the machine is set up in. Eventually this could lead to more problems. Jus be careful and take it easy first and foremost.

The problem with machines is they limit range of motion and you're required to go in the plane of movement the machine is set up in. Eventually this could lead to more problems. Jus be careful and take it easy first and foremost.

This is how i messed my shoulder up in the first place (THE SMITH MACHINE) lol going to heavy on shoulders, the chest press feels ok for my shoulder i guess i could use it to maintain what strength i have

This is how i messed my shoulder up in the first place (THE SMITH MACHINE) lol going to heavy on shoulders, the chest press feels ok for my shoulder i guess i could use it to maintain what strength i have

I personally HATE smith machines and never will use them. They balance the weight for you so your stabilizer muscles get neglected and they allow you to do more weight than you could in a power rack both of which can lead to injury as you found out unfortunately. They're range of motion sucks and is limited like I mentioned before. I would recommend to stop using them or limit them to non-maximal weights or maybe even some light burn out sets. Def do not go for maxes in the smith machine though. To maintain strength, you can try board presses, floor presses, etc but accept the fact you're going to lose some strength and concentrate on the other areas you can work. When you heal fully, you can come back in beast mode and start getting your bench and shit back up.

I personally HATE smith machines and never will use them. They balance the weight for you so your stabilizer muscles get neglected and they allow you to do more weight than you could in a power rack both of which can lead to injury as you found out unfortunately. They're range of motion sucks and is limited like I mentioned before. I would recommend to stop using them or limit them to non-maximal weights or maybe even some light burn out sets. Def do not go for maxes in the smith machine though. To maintain strength, you can try board presses, floor presses, etc but accept the fact you're going to lose some strength and concentrate on the other areas you can work. When you heal fully, you can come back in beast mode and start getting your bench and shit back up.

in the last 6 weeks as i have been injured, i have just focused on back and legs, my back seriously has never felt as strong, iv'e added 2 plates on the lat pull down in the 6 weeks, Think I'll just leave all pressing movements for another few weeks, but i feel like im going out of proportion, I'm going to target my arms too, then hopefully ill get well soon, It feels like i'm gonna be stuck here forever now lol not a good feeling!

Back