need diet critique

Danny212

Hey Guys,
Im 19 years old, 5'8" 145 lbs, and I'm trying to put my first real diet together to bulk up. I've never been able to bulk up before because I was always wrestling (having to keep my weight down) and I'm new to this whole diet thing. Could you guys please look over my diet and give some advice?

8:00- Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, English Muffin with Peanut Butter, Oatmeal,3-4 Amino Acids
Whey Protein Shake 23g Protein (w/ glutamine)
Creatine (w/water)

9:30 Workout
10:45 Whey Protein(23g Pro) (w/dextrose)
1:00 Two tuna salad sandwiches on wheat, salad, 3-4 amino acids, fat free yogurt

4:00 Whey protein (23g Pro)

7:00 Can tuna, flax seed oil

10:00 2-3 chicken breasts, salad, fat free yogurt

12:00 Whey Protein Shake
Flax Seed Oil

Last edited:
Firstly, welcome to Steroidology.
You look like you're off to a good start but yoou need to add more food in there. Especially if you're looking to bulk.
Get rid of the fat free yogurt and add in some regular yogurt or some lowfat. How much dextrose are you adding to your post workout shake? What are you making the 4:00pm and the before bed shake with? Milk? Water?
Are you using the flax oil or are you using the capsules. I'm glad to see you have a couple of servings of flax in there but I'm curious how much of it you are using? Tablespoon? teaspoon?
Sorry for all the questions, but the more you tell us, the more we can help.
:)

Do you have any idea what your breakdowns are? Calories, fat, protein, carbs???

If so post em up - if not, you need to find out.

MY ANSWERS IN CAPS

Fyre said:
How much dextrose are you adding to your post workout shake?
I WAS TOLD 2-1 DEXTROSE-PROTEIN. SO IF THAT IS THE CASE IT WOULD BE SOMEWHERE AROUND 50g
What are you making the 4:00pm and the before bed shake with? Milk? Water?
WATER
Are you using the flax oil or are you using the capsules. I'm glad to see you have a couple of servings of flax in there but I'm curious how much of it you are using? Tablespoon? teaspoon?
I AM USING 1000mg CAPSULES OF FLAX SEED OIL. IF YOU COULD PLEASE TELL ME HOW MUCH YOU THINK I SHOULD USE, CUZ IM NOT REALLY SURE

:)

THANKS I APPRECIATE IT

Technobarbie said:
Do you have any idea what your breakdowns are? Calories, fat, protein, carbs???

Yea im working on figuring out the breakdowns, the problem being I am eating off dorm food so its hard to get accurate readings. But i will try to find them out and post em.
Thanks,
Danny

I would suggest switching from the flax capsules to the oil. You have to take like 15 capsules to equal 1 tablespoon of oil. I prefer Udo's Oil over straight flax oil as it seems to be a better blend. I would suggest taking two tablespoons of the Udo's oil a day. Definitely take one of those before bed and then take the other somewhere else in the day. (just NOT in your post workout shake)
Your before bed meal needs to change a bit. You want a slow absorbing protein before bed along with your efa's. Whey protein on it's own is absorbed far too quickly so either make your shake with some milk or switch that meal to some cottage cheese and efa's. That'll do the trick.:)

The first thing that jumps out is that first meal. That meal is a fairly large one that is eaten only 1.5 hours before you lift. You are pushing the danger zone for insulin response and the processing of all the food you just ate, not to mention the creatine, which is wasteed to some extent. When you eat a meal that big and take creatine, the body can't process all those nutrients and keep your insulin level steady - which will inhibit the creatine from being shuttled out or your blood and into the muscle belly. Most likely, a good percentage will end up in your stool.

Do you take creatine 45 minutes after you workout? That is prime time to make an anabolic environment in the body to help get as much creatine and water into the muscle belly. Try eating every 2 hours; add more complex carbs to your diet (baked potato, yams, legumes, brown rice, etc...) and use regular dressings on your salad.

Don't worry about calories, lowfat or fat-free foods if you are looking to gain weight. Eat whole foods at every meal, never eat a carb alone, and look at the timing and amount of food at that first meal. Also , are you using mayo in your tuna or some fat-free alternative? "Good" fats will help you bulk up without gaining a lot of unwanted fat.

Back