new to this looking for good advice.

ian2565

Hello all! I'm new to this and everything. A goal of mine is to drop about 50lbs or so and tone up. I'm 5'9" about 230. Any ideas?

Find your TDEE. Weight loss starts with lowering your calories. When you plateau, lower them more, repeat until you get down to about 2,000 then start adding in cardio increasing each time you continue to plateau.

Aside from that, are you currently following a training program? You didn't give much info.

Right now I'm at about 1700 calories a day. I drink nothing but water with the occasional Gatorade to offset. My training program is not the best but a start. I do cardio 5 times a week alternating between sprint days to 2 mile run and 20 min run for time. Mon wed Fri I work my core and upper body ( various crunches flutter kicks leg raises sit ups and for push ups its regular, wide arm anf close arm)

Damn you are reeeally low on cals already. The best thing you can do right now is ditch the cardio routine, get on a lifting routine... something like 5/3/1 (google it), and up your calories to about maintenance. You are basically crash dieting right now, and while you may get some results fast, they won't last and you have NO play room when you plateau. Which trust me, you will. What is your TDEE?

My TDEE 3400 according to the calc. I'll google that 5/3/1. Would you reckon a good protein for in the morning or no? I see also what you mean by crashing. I'm starving my body right?

Eat at 3400 for about two weeks, make sure you're actually tracking your calories; weighing and measuring everything. Let your body adjust to maintenance and the lifting program. You may even see weight loss eating at maintenance since you are a newbie. From there, taper your calories down SLOWLY. Losing 50 lbs is most likely gonna take you a good 5+ months, just stick with it and don't try to rush. Any whole food protein of your choice is optimal. If you absolutely have to, you can use whey protein. The brand for the most part doesn't matter. Try to find something with a low carb to protein ratio. And yes, you are essentially depriving your body of the nutrients it needs. I won't use the word "starving", you're not Kenyan.

No problem bud. Stick around, check out the diet and training forums. Obviously this site is geared towards AAS, which is the last thing you should be thinking of... but there's tons of other info on here as well, and a lot of guys with more knowledge than me.

Back