Nolvadex vs Arimidex

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongBall

While I know that each one combats the possible side effects of estrogen differently, its the reaction with test that I am curious about. Everyone knows that taking Nolvadex will decrease your overall gains while on because it reduces estrogen levels. Does arimidex (or liquidex) negatively effect any possible gains? I have read quite a few items concerning what it does but I am looking for experience here or possibly an article I may have missed. I plan on having Nolvadex around just in case, but I am wondering if that should be enough(If I start taking it if I notice signs of gyno) or do I want to take liquidex with it.

2nd cycle
6'4" 250 BF% a little higher than normal but not horrible
33 Y/O

Weeks 1-5 30 mg D-bol
Weeks 1-8 500mg Test Eth
20 days after last injection start Clomid Therapy
Also plan on using Milk Thistle

LongBall

Arimidex = To Prevent Estrogen Creation

Nolvadex = To Stop Estrogen from Binding

Always start with Arimidex, but have nolvadex on hand.

LongBall,
I've got about the exact same stats as you but I'm 28. I started a cycle o tuesday (MLK day) which consists of test 500mg, deca 300mg and paperbol 40mg/day. I've got liquidex on hand and was going to start it from the begining but I decided to wait for a week to see what kind of bloat I would get from the paperbol (This is the first time I've used it). I choose the liquidex because I believe that it won't affect my gains as much as nolvadex (But in reality I don't think that nolvadex affects gains as much as people say). I"ve got nolvadex on hand but don't plan on taking it until post cycle. I'm going to start .5mg of liquidex every day next tuesday. The main reason that I'm taking the liquidex is to combat the "moon face". Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys and I do plan on having both liquidex and nolvadex on hand. I am also aware what the difference between the 2 is. I was just curious if anyone felt that they had gains hindered by the use of liquidex(Arimidex)

LongBall

This whole idea that Nolvadex hinders gains has got me a little confused. I understand it does not hinder gain anywhere near as much as most say it does. Does anyone have any scientific studies to back any of this up??

To answer longballz question, there is almost a complete block of estrogen by nolva in the tissues most bbers are concerned about and estrogen is almost non-existent in the body using adex, fem, or aromasin. You're not going to see a big diff. So YES they will both effect gains and yes they both effect gains about equally.

Hey stonecold, I grabbed this from BC's profiles over at bodybuilding.com on estrogen:

"It can be responsible for better glucose utilization3,4 (repleting lost glycogen stores after exercise) and stimulating increased growth hormone release5. But most notably estrogen is responsible for an upgrading of the androgen receptor6 allowing hormones that act on the androgen receptor to exert a larger anabolic effect. This is why hormones that are strong androgens but also aromatize heavily, like anadrol and testosterone, can put the most mass on your frame."

This is me now lol...Estrogen also has a positive effect on your cholesterol levels. I dont think I need to post proof of this because its pretty well known. Because nolva still acts as an estrogen in the liver it helps out cholesterol levels a bit, but will not even come close to completin solving that prob while on ur cycle.

Here are BC's studies backin up his claim on estrogen:
3 Aromatization of androgens to estrogens mediates increased activity of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in rat levator ani muscle, Endocrinol 106 (2), 440-43, 1980

4 The pentose phosphate pathway in regenerating skeletal muscle, Biochem J 170, 17, 1978

5 Weisberger, Ho, Activation of the ****totropic axis by testosterone in adult males : evidence for the role of aromatization, J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 76, 1993, 1407-12

6 Rance, Max, Modulation of the cytosolic androgen receptor in striated muscle by sex steroids, Endocrinol 115, 1984, 862-6

Nolva does NOT inhibit gains. Thats one of the oldest myths out there.

Nolva does NOT lower estrogen. It acts as a psuedo-estrogen and fits into the ER just like E would, only now E cant bind to it cause Nolva is already there. It is possible I suspect that your body may lower its aromatation protiens via negative feed back loop. (This is a great thing!).

If IGF-1 is decreased, which stuides show either way so it doesnt mean much to me, its irrelevant. Your on a cycle! You have all these other anabolics running through you. Do you think a little less IGF-1 is going to make or break it...NO! IFG really shouldnt be a deciding factor anyways. For every study showing it increased from something, there is probally one showing it decreased. Everyone thought Femera was this awesome anti-e that raised IGF, but it turns out not only does it not increase IGF, it increases aromatase protien levels..making it one of the worse anti-e to use IMO.

Arimidex, it is an anti-e. It stops aromatation. Problem is, it will mess up your cholesterol levels.

So what to do? Well you run both. Nolvadex can and will act as a psuedo-estrogen. Arimidex will keep your aromatose activity down to a minimum. Nolva can take the place for estrogenic activities for cholesterol. Which is good!

The best choice though, would be to use Aromasin anyways. Its a little gentler on the cholesterol profile. I still choose to run 10mg Nolva throughout.

Ive gone from 183 to 250 at 5'7". I do not feel hindered.

StoneCold, thank you for the invite over here and linking me this thread. Ill stick arond. :)

ready2explode said:
(I cant find the edit button) BC claims that estrogen suppression during a cycle will "drastically" reduce gains.

Maybe Im the exception, but from my experince not at all!

Most people say they inhibit because they dont get all fat and bloated and the end lb on the scale reads less...

Your not gonna block all the estrogen in your body. There will be plenty in there for AR functions.

"Nolva does NOT inhibit gains. Thats one of the oldest myths out there."

Nolva does NOT lower estrogen. It acts as a psuedo-estrogen and fits into the ER just like E would, only now E cant bind to it cause Nolva is already there. It is possible I suspect that your body may lower its aromatation protiens via negative feed back loop. (This is a great thing!)."

YOU'RE RITE! nolva does not lower estrogen levels, BUT it keeps estrogen from acting in your body which basically does the same friggin thing as an anti-aromatase except they take a lil longer to lower ur estrogen levels and when you come off of anti-e's ur est levels are still very high which means you mite get gyno symptoms again very quickly as opposed to using an anti-aromatase because your body will need more time to produce estrogen. But basically, estrogen plays an important role in how much you gain on your cycle. If estrogen plays a role then ofcourse any anti-aromatase or anti-estrogen will hinder gains.

"If IGF-1 is decreased, which stuides show either way so it doesnt mean much to me, its irrelevant. Your on a cycle! You have all these other anabolics running through you. Do you think a little less IGF-1 is going to make or break it...NO! "

A little less igf-1? how about a fifth less igf-1...thats not a small amount...

"IFG really shouldnt be a deciding factor anyways. For every study showing it increased from something, there is probally one showing it decreased. Everyone thought Femera was this awesome anti-e that raised IGF, but it turns out not only does it not increase IGF, it increases aromatase protien levels..making it one of the worse anti-e to use IMO.

Arimidex, it is an anti-e. It stops aromatation. Problem is, it will mess up your cholesterol levels. "

There is "probally" a study??? common bro, you gotta do better than that especially when I just posted a reply that had abstacts to back it up - where are yours??? btw femara and arimidex are BOTH anti-AROMATASES they both do the same thing in the body. AND igf-1 plays a major role in how much you gain also...

"So what to do? Well you run both. Nolvadex can and will act as a psuedo-estrogen. Arimidex will keep your aromatose activity down to a minimum. Nolva can take the place for estrogenic activities for cholesterol. Which is good!"

No need to run both. If you get signs of gyno, use nolva and an anti-aromatase together. After a few days drop the nolva and just continue with the anti-aromatase. Nolva wont significantly help your cholesterol levels at all during a cycle. No matter what, they're still going to look bad...

"The best choice though, would be to use Aromasin anyways. Its a little gentler on the cholesterol profile. I still choose to run 10mg Nolva throughout. "

I stole this from blade who posted it over at cuttingedgemuscle on aromasin:

"I have a few concerns about Aromasin. There is ample evidence that complete estrogen suppression is a bad thing (which doesn't seem to be an issue with Femara or Arimidex). Aromasin at a 25mg/day dosage has been shown to induce 85-95% reduction in estrogen. I also have concerns on other endocrine effects: Aromasin does not bind significantly to steroidal receptors, except for a slight affinity for the androgen receptor (0.28% relative to dihydrotestosterone). The binding affinity of its 17-dihydrometabolite for the androgen receptor, however, is 100-times that of the parent compound (about equal to testosterone). Androgenic side effects have been reported only with exemestane compared to Arimidex and Femara."

With all that being said could you then maybe take less than what the reccomended amount of arimidex is to let some estrogen produce its effects? Of course these effects could also be gyno or bloating. With my cycle I plan on taking 1 ml liquidex EOD. I came to this amount based on what I have read. Would I possibly want to lower this (I of course would have Nolvadex on hand) and allow the additional conversion?

LongBall

LongBall, you don't have to worry about suppressing E too much...
Studies on anastrozole performed on men ususally show E suppression of about 50% - and that's without any AS...

It's quite possible that with 0.5 - 1mg ED your E will stay in normal range...

Nimrod25 said:
Arimidex = To Prevent Estrogen Creation

Nolvadex = To Stop Estrogen from Binding

Always start with Arimidex, but have nolvadex on hand.

Nice, succint, easy, and intelligent answer. Bravo!

Billy_Bathgate said:
Nolva does NOT inhibit gains. Thats one of the oldest myths out there.

Nolva does NOT lower estrogen. It acts as a psuedo-estrogen and fits into the ER just like E would, only now E cant bind to it cause Nolva is already there. It is possible I suspect that your body may lower its aromatation protiens via negative feed back loop. (This is a great thing!).

If IGF-1 is decreased, which stuides show either way so it doesnt mean much to me, its irrelevant. Your on a cycle! You have all these other anabolics running through you. Do you think a little less IGF-1 is going to make or break it...NO! IFG really shouldnt be a deciding factor anyways. For every study showing it increased from something, there is probally one showing it decreased. Everyone thought Femera was this awesome anti-e that raised IGF, but it turns out not only does it not increase IGF, it increases aromatase protien levels..making it one of the worse anti-e to use IMO.

Arimidex, it is an anti-e. It stops aromatation. Problem is, it will mess up your cholesterol levels.

So what to do? Well you run both. Nolvadex can and will act as a psuedo-estrogen. Arimidex will keep your aromatose activity down to a minimum. Nolva can take the place for estrogenic activities for cholesterol. Which is good!

The best choice though, would be to use Aromasin anyways. Its a little gentler on the cholesterol profile. I still choose to run 10mg Nolva throughout.

Ive gone from 183 to 250 at 5'7". I do not feel hindered.

StoneCold, thank you for the invite over here and linking me this thread. Ill stick arond. :)

Thank you! I heard of this Board on EF and I recognize a lot of bros here from there. Did you check out Nelson Montana's latest thread on EF "reconsidering the use of Anti-Es"? Give me a break! Let's all write a book so that people will listen to any ridiculous thing we say just so we can feel like the "guru." I'll take hindered gains over gyno ANY DAY. Gyno makes your gains all for naught. I'd rather have a flat chest than big pecs with a bulb under my nipple. Say good bye to tight shirts. Anti-Es for me because I'm not taking any chances. I did that before it was as easy as 1-2-3 to get Nolva, etc. And I paid with gyno. No more, please God.

R2E...

"YOU'RE RITE! nolva does not lower estrogen levels, BUT it keeps estrogen from acting in your body which basically does the same friggin thing as an anti-aromatase except they take a lil longer to lower ur estrogen levels and when you come off of anti-e's ur est levels are still very high which means you mite get gyno symptoms again very quickly as opposed to using an anti-aromatase because your body will need more time to produce estrogen. But basically, estrogen plays an important role in how much you gain on your cycle. If estrogen plays a role then ofcourse any anti-aromatase or anti-estrogen will hinder gains"

Nolvas action and an anti-aromatase action are completly different. Nolva is far from the same. One is blocking estrogen via psuedo-estrogen replacement in the ER. The other is biochemically lowering aromatase enzyme activity. BIG difference. The net effect is also very different. In the nolva case, you still have some E and psuedo-E in your body. In the case of mamary tissue, it does no function ie. causes no growth. However, there are other functions that it can still carry out. Cholesterol action is one of them. I also believe that the AR upregulation can still take place. In fact...I think thats the entire reason that Nolva alone for post cycle can possibly used!!!

A little less igf-1? how about a fifth less igf-1...thats not a small amount...

That is unfortunately more of a speculation. Some studies show much less, some show much more. IGF is a very, very sensitive compound. It can fluxuate easily. It is nearly impossible to set controls on a study accurately enough to pin point the exact change. You have to put things in relative means. You think 1/5 less IGF is going to inhibit a "noticable" decrease in gains off say a gram of test a week? No way! Thats going along with the "1/5" at that.

There is "probally" a study??? common bro, you gotta do better than that especially when I just posted a reply that had abstacts to back it up - where are yours??? btw femara and arimidex are BOTH anti-AROMATASES they both do the same thing in the body. AND igf-1 plays a major role in how much you gain also...

Studies are a dime a dozen. Most of them arent even on BB with our goals anyways. In this topic, most are on breast cancer or rats. I dont need any abstracts. 90% of my knowledge is from my own experience and from what I have learned through the many courses of biology, microbiology, physics, thermodynamics, pharmocology, toxicology, organic and inorganic chemistry, biochemistry, physicology, biomechanics and whatever I left out. (senior in pre-med, 3 yr personal trainer). If I really needed to, all Id have to do is goto the library or to medline and dig one up after who knows how long. But what for? You have a study saying otherwise, what would a study contradicting yours prove? Nothing, just that studies are a dime a dozen and shouldnt be held as the end all say all.

Ari and Fem are both anti-e's but they hardly do the same thing in the body. They both decrease aromatic enzyme levels, BUT Fem increases aromactic protein levels!!! Thats a huge difference! ITs like apples and oranges, both are fruit but they taste different.

IGF does play a role, but not THE role. It is far more complex than just that. As I already stated, the change is unknown really in IGF levels. Also, do you know what percentage of fluxation is considered significant? Prob not cause its undefined. There is no -X% IGF will result in -Y% in gains. It far from works like that.

No need to run both. If you get signs of gyno, use nolva and an anti-aromatase together. After a few days drop the nolva and just continue with the anti-aromatase. Nolva wont significantly help your cholesterol levels at all during a cycle. No matter what, they're still going to look bad...

I guess there was mix up with my blood work then. I always get bloodwork (another advantage of premed). Ive compared many of them. With nolva, I have been able to obstain normal values of cholesterol. I dont have hardcopies since I get them under the table, but if you like feel free to goto AF and search on there. I know someone else about 1-2 years ago did the same.

"I have a few concerns about Aromasin. There is ample evidence that complete estrogen suppression is a bad thing (which doesn't seem to be an issue with Femara or Arimidex). Aromasin at a 25mg/day dosage has been shown to induce 85-95% reduction in estrogen. I also have concerns on other endocrine effects: Aromasin does not bind significantly to steroidal receptors, except for a slight affinity for the androgen receptor (0.28% relative to dihydrotestosterone). The binding affinity of its 17-dihydrometabolite for the androgen receptor, however, is 100-times that of the parent compound (about equal to testosterone). Androgenic side effects have been reported only with exemestane compared to Arimidex and Femara."

For your last comment, again..its 1 study. Ive already stated my blood work shows otherwise. thats all it takes for me really. Complete estrogen suppresion would be bad (another reason to keep taking Nolva once again) but the study even says 85-95% reduction. Your E levels would already be high, or potentially high induced by aromation would put your E down a little low, but right about where it needs to be when high estrogen is of major concern. The last part, about the affinity of the 17-dihyrdometabolite, seems to written very inconclusively... "have been reported". Let me guess too, this was done on women in a breast cancer study and some lady grew a mustache. Low levels of estrogen (which could be obtained more with Aromasin) can trigger the body into producing more testosterone to aromatise via negative feedback loop (why some people use only anti-e post cycle, Ive done it and it actually works). If that study was correct though, think of this..would you rather have tits or a hairy chest? Point being, not all sides could possibly ever be prevented. I have although not noticed any increased androgenic sides, even when on 1500mg Test and 50mg Aromasin.

If your goals of a cycle is to gain A2 related fat, edema, mood fluxuations, and gyno it would make sence to not run anything. If thats worth you being able to falsly read a scale and mistake lean and actual gains with actuality and conclude that estrogen is very significant, then be my guest (thats a general comment, not towards you)

And please if you dont want to believe me, dont then. I hate it when people take the word of Bill L, Bill R, or Dan D just cause they are "guru's" or when cites an article written by another authors opinon and passing it off as truth. I could write and publish and article on how eating dog poo will make you grow, or I could do a double blind study with chocolate ice cream and poo and word it so the poo comes out being more anabolic. Stuides are nice to give you an idea on certain key things to keep your eye on, but just like in a lab or the field, actuallity is usually far from theoritically.

All I can say is my opinion, and what has worked for me (with bloodwork). I find it kinda petty to go nuts posting studies to argue a point. Id rather be called an idiot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back