Not Growing Anymore? Progress Slowed?

Kakdiesel

sometimes its not due to diet, genetics, or gear...

Sometimes it can be due to musculoskeletal problems--or simply put: Nerve impingment

why is your CNS so important? Trust me, if you are a truth athlete and care about your musculature, CNS is THE most important system in your body.

Because much of this is beyond the scope of this forum, i will try to keep it simple:

your muscles contract from nerve impulses. every muscle in your body is innervated by some nerve.

those nerves have to come from a source--the brain. but they travel down many pathways all over your body, through other muscles, through other nerves, and around many bones

one thing i would stress to body builders is to consider your brachial plexus (a network of nerves that innervate your pectoral muscles and your arms---i figure two of the most favored bodyparts by many of you)

the nerve exits through your C5 and C6 spinal cord level (behind your neck) and runs underneath your clavicle (collar bone) down to basically under your armpit.

without full function of this plexus your pecs and arm muscles will not get the proper signals to contract and worse yet--GROW!

please consider this before worrying about less important things like drugs and diet and also do not be so quick to blame "genetics"

for the most dedicated athlete (true competition level bodybuilders), i will ask you this:

try to go see a chiropractor and let him palpate you and/or x ray you and 8 times out of 10 i guarantee that you will have a subluxation (misalignment) at your cervical level.

That is, if you are having questions/problems with the chest and arm areas.

why also is this important? because improper nervous signaling can also cause your many other muscles to compensate the weakness in others..what does that mean?

you can tear and injure your muscle due to your body (and even you somtimes ) trying to overcompensate the weakness in that particular region (and when i say weakness i mean that relatively..it may not "feel" weak but weakness can also mean "not as strong as it should be"

this post is to inform and prevent injury and also prevent one from becoming frusrated from not knowing why something is just "not working (growing, contracting) right" in the muscle

questions??

Makes sense to me.......I only have one little problem....I'm terrified to go to a chiropractor, I'm 45 and never have been to one and never will. No offense to you or your profession.

I have this terrible feeling that my neck will get twisted the wrong way and leave me paralyzed or dead. I know this is stupid on my part, but hey that's just the way I feel.

Nice post though !!

understandable...but look up any medical or health care journal and the chances of dying or even getting a stroke from a chiropractic adjustment is worse than being struck by lightning..no joke.

also people tend to think that becoming a chiro is easy. our educational curriculum definitely rivals medical schools on top of that learning chiropractic diagnosis and technique.

along with that, 4 national boards, 1 state board (where you want to practice) and parts of the boards are oral and in a situational environment with some actor they hire to play "patient" while you are alone in the room with the actor and four field doctors who are on the testing committee.

rough stuff

Kakdiesel,

maybe you can shed some light on a problem I have been having. For 2-3 months now, I have been experiencing numbness in my right ring-finger. It gets a lot worse when I bend my arm with my hand next to my head (like when I hold a phone in my right hand). The numbness only affects the first digit of that one finger. It does not radiate into my hand or up my arm. I don't recall injuring myself and I don't have any other problems other than the numbness. I already went to a doctor (M.D.) but he had no idea what was going on. Any ideas?

xtinct said:
Kakdiesel,

maybe you can shed some light on a problem I have been having. For 2-3 months now, I have been experiencing numbness in my right ring-finger. It gets a lot worse when I bend my arm with my hand next to my head (like when I hold a phone in my right hand). The numbness only affects the first digit of that one finger. It does not radiate into my hand or up my arm. I don't recall injuring myself and I don't have any other problems other than the numbness. I already went to a doctor (M.D.) but he had no idea what was going on. Any ideas?

yup..like i mentioned above..brachial plexus.

the nerve runs from your clavicle down all the way to your hand..either ulnar or radial nerve (branches)

gaurantee you have a subluxation located behind your neck

Kakdiesel said:
yup..like i mentioned above..brachial plexus.

the nerve runs from your clavicle down all the way to your hand..either ulnar or radial nerve (branches)

gaurantee you have a subluxation located behind your neck

Could you describe in general terms what a chiropractor would do to fix that problem? I kinda share StoneCold's concern about getting hurt by someone twisting my neck.

Also, if I decide to go to a chiropractor, how do I identify someone who is competent? Are there certain credentials I should look for? Are there certain warning signs (e.g., someone who suggests certain unproven procedures) which would indicate that I should stay away from a certain practitioner?

StoneColdNTO said:
Makes sense to me.......I only have one little problem....I'm terrified to go to a chiropractor, I'm 45 and never have been to one and never will. No offense to you or your profession.

I have this terrible feeling that my neck will get twisted the wrong way and leave me paralyzed or dead. I know this is stupid on my part, but hey that's just the way I feel.

Nice post though !!

you would thank yourself once you did go though. I was like that before until one day I went and will never regret that I did

good post though

xtinct said:
Could you describe in general terms what a chiropractor would do to fix that problem? I kinda share StoneCold's concern about getting hurt by someone twisting my neck.

just give you a cervical adjustment (neck)...seriously, adjustments are the safest thigs in the world..

it boggles my mind that one would blindly accept any prescription from any medical doctor (who 99% of the time has no knowledge of the metabolic pathway for said drug or even any true biochemistry background)

dont you wonder why when there is a commercial for any new drug out there that at the end of the commercial the narrator flies through the possible side effects faster than the micromachines guy?

gimme a break.

chiropractors work WITH your body...not against..we do not introduce foregin substances or surgically remove anything...we do not fight against the natural laws of nature.

trust me please.

xtinct said:
Also, if I decide to go to a chiropractor, how do I identify someone who is competent? Are there certain credentials I should look for? Are there certain warning signs (e.g., someone who suggests certain unproven procedures) which would indicate that I should stay away from a certain practitioner?

no..like i've stated in another post...we go through much more scrutinized and extensive training and testing than medical doctors..

we know our shit..we dont graduate anybody who doesnt have a solid basis of human anatomy knowledge.

but since you are an athlete (bodybuilder) call around and ask if they also do extremity adjusting and musculoskeletal therapy..thats your best bet

A while back I ruptured two discs in my neck during a competition.. every single doctoer I ever visited said i would need surgery or i would never be able to compete again..

i found a really good sports chiropractor and he helped me worlds over. after a while i did have him ease up and eventually stop all the neck adjustments.. except for that little tool?

but i did keep up with all the exercises and stretches he made me do and it really helped bring me back in line very quickly..

just a test: if you stand up and look in a mirror the center of the top of your head your nose your chin and your belly button should all form a straight line when you stand up and relax if you look in a mirror and can see a mis alignment you should get some help. the same goes if you were to look in the mirror then turn 90 degrees.. if your head is sticking far out past your shoulders you might need help too..

ill stop now..
sorry for the longwindeda$$ post.

i got a question.. for the longest time (4 years about) i've had what i think is a "pinched nerve" somewhere behond my neck right trap area. never gives me problems until i do heavy shrugs. so i've sorta "worked around" the problem rather than getting it looked at. well, today i'm doing dumbell press over the head with i what i would think is somewhat light weight, only about 50# each. during my second set about the 8th rep, the right side of my neck just feels like it fucking tears or something mid-press! then being the stupid-fuck that i am, i again "work-around" the problem and move onto a different muscle with some tricep press. after two sets, the pain just wasn't going anywhere and now tonight i can barely freakin' move my head. i'm taking some Relafen (Nabumetone) and it's not helping at 1000mgs. gonna take another 1000mgs before i go to bed... tomorrow, i'm gonna try some IB (advil) in heavy dose. monday i was thinking maybe i should look into chiropractic help. any suggestions?

i love going to the chiropractor. i feel like a new fucking man when i walk out of his office.

i have 2 disks out in my neck from falling off a dumptruck. the only real relief i get is when he pops the neck. i look forward to it.

stone, you would not be disappointed if you went to a chiropracter bro

GearTripper said:
i got a question.. for the longest time (4 years about) i've had what i think is a "pinched nerve" somewhere behond my neck right trap area. never gives me problems until i do heavy shrugs. so i've sorta "worked around" the problem rather than getting it looked at. well, today i'm doing dumbell press over the head with i what i would think is somewhat light weight, only about 50# each. during my second set about the 8th rep, the right side of my neck just feels like it fucking tears or something mid-press! then being the stupid-fuck that i am, i again "work-around" the problem and move onto a different muscle with some tricep press. after two sets, the pain just wasn't going anywhere and now tonight i can barely freakin' move my head. i'm taking some Relafen (Nabumetone) and it's not helping at 1000mgs. gonna take another 1000mgs before i go to bed... tomorrow, i'm gonna try some IB (advil) in heavy dose. monday i was thinking maybe i should look into chiropractic help. any suggestions?

yes. number one, stay away from pain killers, even aspirins..they do nothing to correct the injury..and their best they only cover up the pain at the nerve root but sooner or later one must deal with the origin of the problem.

lol ok enough of that. now here is the serious problem and let me explain the anatomy.

your trapezius (traps) muscles originate from many places: your EOP (base of skull), from your cervical and thoracic vertebra and insert at the cavicle, scapula (shoulder blade) and acromion (the "bump" you can feel out by your shoulder on top of the most lateral part of your trap)

the tapezius muscles are innervated by cranial nerve 11, and the C3, C4 spinal nerves.

why is this injury possibly dangerous? well you have either injured the muscle (which is a sensory nerve problem) or you have a subuluxation at your cervical (behind the neck) region--a sensory and motory nerve problem.

if it is a subluxation you must also realize that not only could the nerve impingment to your traps be a problem with contracting, healing, and growing that muscle, but like i stated above yo have other muscles in the area that are deep (underneath) to your traps that could also try to compensate the damage thus helping you with your weight lifting movements. because of this, i would recommend you go see a chiropractor asap to prevent any damage to the trap muscles and to other muscles.

hope this helps and any more questions please ask

Back